Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mac v PC  (Read 7301 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Mac v PC
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

Hi all,

My next computer will almost certainly be a laptop.

I have been looking at various sizes/models etc,and have been giving a Mac-book at lot of thought.

Besides the cost(of a Mac) what are the pros and cons of a Mac over a Windows PC.

Do you not need anti virus software with a Mac..

What about software....is there stuff that doesn't run on a Mac,that does on a Windows pc

What about Hardware...is everything compatible......

Any info will be most welcome  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Mac v PC
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »

Not much response to your query, unkyUb, ......not many Mac users on here it would  seem.

As I understand it, Macs will boot and load much more quickly than Windows PCs because of the different manner in which Apple organises the operating system. The MAC systems do not have a Registry in the same way as Windows......the Mac application keys being "attached" application by application rather than in one huge registry. This means that you do not have to hang around whilst an extensive registry loads...the appropriate keys only come into action as and when you open any particular progam.

As most viruses/malware attack Windows by infiltrating the Registry, the very lack of such in the Mac does make it inherently less susceptible to that sort of attack.
However, Apple do recommend that you have installed an AV prog.......as there is always the possibility of picking up nasties such as browser redirectors, hijackers etc.

Some Windows apps. can be run on Macs with a bit of fiddling.....a good read here http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2007/01/05/running_windows_programs.html

I think the problem with Macs lies with the hardware.
As you know, if you encounder a hardware failure or problem on a PC, you can walk into any computer shop and buy a replacement part or an upgrade component "off the shelf" and install it yourself.
Not so with Macs......their components are unique to Apple, obtainable (in the main) only from Apple.....indeed for some repairs you may have to return to Apple or an Apple designated engineer.
All this, IIRC, because Apple use a unique type of processor.

Not much of a help I'm afraid   :(....and I await someone telling me that I am talking nonsense.   ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

Li'l o'l technophobic me won't be much use Unc  :D    save to say  ...   a friend of ours  (Yorkshire person )  bought a Mac laptop  ..... and ended up throwing it on the floor  :o  then went out and bought one with  Windows   .....   ;D    hth  ;D    I'm not sure if that says anything abut Macs or our friend   ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »

Yeah, they're like that in Yorkshire.... ;)

:D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:21:41 PM by tuftedduck »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »

;D

I wouldn't dream of accusing you of talking nonsense TD. :)  But current Macs use Intel processors which are the same as those used in PCs. You can see a long list here (scroll down to the bottom for current models). But Phil is talking about a laptop here, so most people wouldn't be able to repair it themselves anyway.

You'll pay more money for a Mac than for an equivalent PC, and you get a system which is very smooth and highly automated. It wouldn't suit a fiddler like me, but it seems to suit a lot of people who don't want to fiddle.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »

See.....I am talking nonsense.........(I knew I was right about something )  :D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:42 PM »

Hi
Ghosts in the works .I thought I had replied  :( old age or finger trouble again) .
Not really knowing anything about the MAC ,I had a look around .
these 2 links bothApple ones admittedly do make some claims that seem demystify the Mac and lay to rest some of the compatibility fears .

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/its-compatible/

The problem with answering your question is ,where will you find a Mac owner admitting that nothing if not perfect .Most PC users will tend to debunk the Mac.

Regards Jeff
zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »

Thank you all for your (interesting) replies......Now let me get this straight...You have to be  Yorkshireman to get one,and at some point it has to be thrown onto the floor........ :lol:

@Jeff,thanks for the links,will have look

I didn't expect many replies as I know Mac users are much outweighed by Windows pc users.

As Eric has stated,they are a lovely well made piece of kit.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »

Just to throw a spanner in the works..... Macs these days run a type of Unix operating system not unlike Linux but as roseway said without the ability to mess around inside it. Not true that there are no viruses on Macs - just fewer of them, as indeed with Linux they do exist but are far fewer. They are generally more expensive but are great for desktop publishing and graphics work, even though it is a form of Unix they are still almost entirely driven by mouse only needing a keyboard for text input.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:38:10 AM »

I would rather have a Linux system if not using Win7, no need for expensive hardware then.

I have Win7/PCLINUXOS dual booted on my PC, boot time is almost identical to my lithping nephew's Mac which he wuvs becauth it hath only cwashed 3 times thith year  ::)  he gets mothed upthet when I point out that my Win7 64bit installs on 3 machines have never once had an issue.

Even my teen son can't wreck Win7. Win ME and WinXP he was always breaking and getting BSOD's but 7 has been flawless.

Mac is probably better for graphics work and autocad etc but home use? I know lack of software is an issue for some users,the field is more restricted than other platforms, I suppose they will catch up eventually.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »

I`ve never used a Mac (I know some who have and think they are wonderful), but I just see them as an expensive piece of kit.

If you buy a Mac Laptop, I`m sure the battery is non removable and if it needs replacing you`ll have to take it to Apple.

But as they say its your money.

Depending on what you want to use the Laptop for, you could easily buy a far cheaper non Mac and simply get a better one in 3-4years time?

Have a read of the following link, especially the comments.

http://www.wisegeek.com/should-i-buy-a-mac-or-a-pc.htm

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:13 AM »

Thanks for the link Stevie,very interesting points raised in for and against one.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

where will you find a Mac owner admitting that nothing if not perfect .
is?
My neighbour, who is a designer/photograper for one.

After many years of PC's, very high spec ones, he finally moved to a huge powerful MAC a year or so ago.
All went reasonably well (some odd glitches, but no more than on a PC) but lately it's started going wrong.

He's rebuilt (reinstalled) from scratch a couple of times now. Recently gave up and took it to Apple themselves (I'd guess an official/franchised repairer) who couldn't find out what was wrong with it.
He's rebuilding it again, and in parallel resurrecting his most powerful "archived" (stored in the garage) PC system.....

The trouble seems to be that they're fine until they go wrong.......

And then, if you use software written for PC's that "used to" run fine there's the "Lion/Rosetta" issue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14437653

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:49 PM »

Just to throw a spanner in the works..... Macs these days run a type of Unix operating system not unlike Linux but as roseway said without the ability to mess around inside it. Not true that there are no viruses on Macs - just fewer of them, as indeed with Linux they do exist but are far fewer. They are generally more expensive but are great for desktop publishing and graphics work, even though it is a form of Unix they are still almost entirely driven by mouse only needing a keyboard for text input.

Stuart

I tend to agree with the above.  Also bear in mind what software you want to put on it and if an alternative is available for Mac (there usually is).

Apple seems to be classed as trendy atm for just about anything it throws out..  and if you can afford the additional cost then go for it.  I dont want to engage in any Mac-v-Windows wars, because at the end of the day Windows attempted to make things simple for its users (and were able to market it well)  which is why why Windows PCs became more popular.

Put it this way if I could afford.. then yes Id go have a Mac... weelllllll  just cause....  drool   :D

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »

Apologies for late arrival on this thread, I just noticed it.  I've mixed feelings.  I'd agree MAC is well-regarded for desktop publishing and graphics, but maybe less so for hardcore techies or developers. 

MAC computers run the OS/X operating system and, with my Unix & Windows background,  I personally found the OS/X frustrating and unintuitive to begin with, and often found myself resorting to google when figuring out how to do the most basic things.   Mine's a MAC Mini and even just figuring out how to get a DVD out of the drive had me tearing my hair out, as there's no physical eject button on the MAC Mini.

Another example... I bought mine for a specific purpose, IPhone application development.  First hurdle when writing any code... there's no hash (#) key marked on the UK keyboard.  The programmers among us will understand my horror at that!  The # key can be generated by ALT&3, but the only way I found that out was by googling.

I'd probably encourage UncleUB to consider one, but just be prepared for a certain amount of frustration as you adapt to the quirks of OS/X.   You'll need to get your head around various fundamentals of OS/X like the 'dock', and various apps like 'finder', but it's certainly no harder to use than windows... just different.

And despite all my criticism, the MAC has become my favoured system not just for app devt but also  as a day-to-day 'desktop' use, systems admin of my complex home network, web-browsing, etc.  It's does seem somehow slicker than windows, once you get to know your way around it.
Pages: [1] 2