Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do I need to?  (Read 15853 times)

Do I need to?
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:53:28 PM »

rizla - no its not fag papers. Its from a Robert Rankin book :P Edit - and as an aside one of the funniest things I ever heard was Jonathon Ross trying to say Robert Rankin - I know I shouldn't mock people with a speech impediment but think about it  ;D

Did the original How ADSL works guide for adslguide. Spent years trying to get either my name removed or the guide updated  ;D Oddly I now find myself posting there again. Quite how that happened I really don't know  ;D

Used Plusnet in the 1990s (FRIACO days) - they bolloxed up billing and eventually I told them to go forth and multiply. Used them again (unwillingly) when they bought Metronet 8 days after I migrated to Metronet from Zen. What a "doh!" moment that was - I woke up, got tea, checked email and sat there in stunned amazement. My initial thought was that it was a friend spoofing me - sadly it wasn't  ;D

Now on Be but waiting for migration to UKOnline. An "interesting experience" doesn't quite cover it - a tip for anyone thinking of Be is NEVER select "Express Cancellation" and "I want a MAC" at the same time because you will have to work VERY hard to persuade Be that you don't want your service ceased in 10 days. Mentioning the small claims track, GC22, Ofcom and the OFT seems to have worked for me but who knows?

Done various things re work. Most too mind-numbingly boring to recount. Missiles were quite fun (provided I was watching from a couple of hundred metres away when they launched); computer security is dreadful; encryption is a young person's game (I'm about to turn 40 soon) as you need brutal maths skills.

There. Is that enough?  :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:58:38 PM by rizla »

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
Re: Do I need to?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:22:06 PM »

Nice to meet you Rizla, you seem to be at home already  :D

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »

Ah kitz and I sort of know each other - we've never met though.

IMHO she's a nice lady who deserves a far better hand than life has dealt her so far. Kitz being kitz would no doubt disagree  ;)

There, that's enough sucking up to the site owner  :P ;D

PS - kitz I'd be quite happy to contribute financially for the site (its damn useful - even for me*) but Paypal is a nono for me.

*couldn't remember VPI/VCI today - how sad is that  ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:45:15 PM by rizla »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »

>> IMHO she's a nice lady who deserves a far better hand than life has dealt her so far.

You're spot on there my friend, and welcome to the forum.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »

Can't argue with that!

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:47:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »

Welcome rizla   :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:06:34 PM »

Howdo Rizla - nice to see you around :) Hope you're well!
Chris

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 10:18:03 PM »

I'm better than I have been for a while mr_chris - thanks for asking.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 10:31:24 PM »

OMG - rizla!

For those that dont know - he is indeed one of the early pioneers into the world of adsl and has a wealth of knowledge on the subject.  Honoured for you to be here rizla :)

>> Oddly I now find myself posting there again. Quite how that happened I really don't know.

Didnt know that you'd gone back.

That is so ironic..  funny enough at what have been about the time you made your post I was having a conversation with someone about how some of the "old hands from AG" and what happened to them and yours was one of the names that cropped up!  lol I bet your ears were burning :D

>> There, that's enough sucking up to the site owner 

Blah - when have you ever sucked up to me?  Please dont do so now or I may get to like it and expect it as the norm :lol:
We have certainly had some interesting discussions about adsl, and even just life in general.

>> couldn't remember VPI/VCI today

whats that?
(jk) - must be an age thing.

Hope everything is well with you and the family..  and welcome aboard.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:46:24 PM »

I find myself exchanging PMs with seb these days for gods sakes! Right enough he has turned into Mr Corporate now - very smooth indeed. Ah well I can't moan because he listened to me and did a damn good article on Be/O2 and the IWF. I did have to deal with the ultimate horror though - a PM from Martin (Icarus) before he died to do with him banning me prematurely for calling someone on the Plusnet (adslguide) board a fanboy (footies I think?). Talk about stupid pointless arguments or what? I never even knew he was ill  :(

Ego and men - its a cr*p combination, it really is.

I seriously couldn't remember VPI/VCI mate - no clue at all and since UKOnline are using Parcelforce then their router isn't going to arrive in time for migration so I have to blow the firmware in the Bebox (Speedtouch 780WL) which is currently set for a standard Be profile. A standard Be profile enables three LAN ports on the back (the fourth is reserved as a video bridge - don't ask as nobody knows), sets the box to RoutedEthoA, opens several daemons on the WAN side (google it) and is in general a mess unless you use the CLI via telnet.

You are still OK yes?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 11:21:40 PM »

>> I find myself exchanging PMs with seb these days for gods sakes!

lol - last time I remember one of your convos was about you requesting your name to be taken off the how adsl works in TTS.  Must admit I dont go there often these days, hence why I hadnt realised you were "back".

>> a PM from Martin (Icarus).. /snip/ I never even knew he was ill 

Hardly anyone did, I knew he'd been poorly - but only cause I was nosey and had asked questions during a period when he went awol.  Didnt realise how bad though - he never said and it was a great shock to me too.

>> Ego and men - its a cr*p combination, it really is

Totally agree  :P
The world of computing/IT seems to magnify that too.   ;D
* kitz hides

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 06:24:53 AM »

Hi Rizla,All I can say is Welcome. :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:02:25 PM »

>> The world of computing/IT seems to magnify that too.

By an order of magnitude many many times greater than other industries, it seems, too!

Anyway, glad you're well mate :)
Chris

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »

I'm not sure about "well" really. Better is ermm a better word. If that confuses you then ask kitz - she'll tell you I'm as sane as she is :P

Best not tell my wife IT is that bad - she's made her way as a contractor for 15 years+

If you fly on any Airbus aircraft (yes even the A380); or the Dreamliner (when it flies) or a host of smaller corporate jets, your engine management system will be running on code she wrote. So when you go on hols think of rizla's wife for she did a lot of the dev/QA/fixing on Airbus craft.
Pages: [1] 2 3