Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FAO Walter  (Read 3129 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
FAO Walter
« on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »

Hey Walter. Knowing you maintain some long distance lines, and are the 'voice' for slow-speeds in your community, I thought this may interest you ?

Openreach are currently running a trial that utilises the unused radio waves in UHF Digital TV that are commonly known as 'White Space'. Broadcasters apparently wont use them, to avoid interference between transmissions. It's hoping to deliver high-speed wireless broadband to challenging and remote areas. This trial is to hopefully assist homes with either no DSL, or Sub-2Meg due to line lengths.

Just a heads up on the changing face of technology Walter, although you may have already been aware of it ??  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FAO Walter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »

Oh No!!!

I know this post was meant for Walter, so I hope you both don't mind me butting in too much.

Why didn't you mention that a few weeks ago, before I got FTTC installed?
I would have volunteered for any trials.

I actually had a good nosey round Kitz.co.uk (& many other forums) before I took the plunge (or was it a blind leap?).

Do you have any info regarding the speeds it hopes to deliver & do you think it would operate a bit like satelite, where all uploading is apparently done via the 'phone line?

I could always link up my old 'rig' with a big burner if that would work ;D

Paul.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »

Is that 'white space" the same as the "guard interval"?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »

Thanks very much RP.

I had heard of this which I believe is destined mainly for areas without any hope of BT FTTC.

I doubt if they would be interested and our jungle would be a bit of a nightmare in any case.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything