Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 254835 times)

covlad1987

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #615 on: March 02, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »

Resurrecting an old thread, but FWIW, I have just found a "Chart of BT fibre broadband FTTC (VDSL2) speed against distance from the cabinet"

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance

My line length has now been confirmed as between 1000m & 1100m & I currently see see sync speeds of around 22Mbps DS & 5Mbps US.

I was able to achieve around 30/10 before crosstalk kicked in as more users were connected via my cabinet, which was almost at full capacity when last checked by a visiting engineer.

Roll on Vectoring..................................

i found this one on think boardband http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

200m    65 Mbps    18 Mbps    20% hmmmmmm thats how far im from the green cabinet and now bt saying my max is 47mbps but my router show sync 55mbps data 49mbps but down load 47mbps ip profile 47mbps the fight carrys on lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:06:34 PM by covlad1987 »

Darren

« Reply #616 on: March 04, 2014, 02:44:49 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread...
Apologies, I asked about your conection earlyer in the thread and failed to notice your reply.. how time flys..

So essentially your low speed is down to line length and crosstalk with a few faults along the way, some or all of which have been fixed. What a journey and indeed roll on vectoring, and with any luck FTTdp then full fibre.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #617 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

Still a bit to go before Vectoring becomes reality. Lots and lots of data from the initial trial, but in summary, 65% saw an increase with the trialled vectoring engine used, with 23% of those users seeing an increase greater than 25% of their pre-vectored rate.

The next trials are using a different engine, to see if further gains can be made ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #618 on: March 04, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »

Would you be able to disclose if the initial trial was on both Huawei and ECI equipment or just one of them, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #619 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »

Would you be able to disclose if the initial trial was on both Huawei and ECI equipment or just one of them, please?

Just Huwaei, Alan, and if memory serves on the '48' only Cab. The next trials will be on a '96'. The trials are extremely in-depth, and haven't been a case of, 'This will do'. I think they're planning that the next vectoring engine to be trialled, will reap even more reward ??

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #620 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »

Black sheep 'if' the next trials are Huwaei only can you push internally as to why this is the case?

Given that rumours are the eCI equipment will be more expensive for BT to vector and BT may even skip vectoring on ECI altogether it doesnt bode well they not even trialling on eCI :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #621 on: March 05, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »

Good God, Chrysalis ……… I'm a lowly engineer, a piece of …. on somebody's shoe. I wouldn't get past the first hurdle, or even be given a reasoned excuse as to why they are doing what they are doing.

Lets not go getting all flustered with knee-jerk reactions, just yet. I know Jack about 'Vectoring engines' and/or their capabilities. As you say, it is just "rumours" about the ECI upgrade expense, and until all trials are completed and Openreach can be confident in vectoring as a sustainable product in regard to DSL speeds, then it's business as usual I'm afraid.

I can't comment on OR's behalf, but in my own opinion they are not going to deploy vectoring to just the one vendor. They are probably trialling Huwaei as I believe they were vector-ready to some degree, whereas ECI weren't ?? It's long months away, whatever the reality of the situation is, so until then …….. it's goodnight from ……….. whoops, slipped into a sketch there for a moment.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #622 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »

<snip>
They are probably trialling Huwaei as I believe they were vector-ready to some degree, whereas ECI weren't ??
<snip>

That agrees with my very limited understanding . . . A Huawei SmartAX MA5616 would need an expansion card-cage & card(s), a Huawei SmartAX MA5603T would just need card(s) but an ECI MiniShelf M41 would have to be swapped out as an entity and replaced with an ECI MiniShelf V41.

I cannot imagine a part-implementation of the "vectoring" solution . . . so let's leave the wizards of Grimbledon Down to their testing and then review the situation in 12 months time.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #623 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »

Absolutely agree, Mr Cat .  ;D

Darren

« Reply #624 on: March 08, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »

Interesting. I rather hoped they would have started to roll it out by the end of this year. Oh well.

I wonder if trialing a new engine means either A) the trial is a sucess, vectoring will be rolled out just trying to maximise benefit first. or B) Results weren't good enough and vectoring won't be rolled out unless the new engine provides better results.

I cannot imagine a part-implementation of the "vectoring" solution
Nor can I and hopefully the rollout doesn't depend on the results also being good on ECI.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »

Also bear in mind BT probably dont consider it urgent like we do.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #626 on: March 08, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »

Nah, we're just sitting back and resting, might get round to it in a couple of years if we can be ar5ed.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #627 on: March 08, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »

What I mean is if you sitting in BT's board room, you not going to be bothered if someone has 60mbit/sec instead of 80mbit/sec, as for the most part 60mbit/sec is good enough.  So its unlikely BT are considering this as urgent, they probably trial various things that dont see the light of day, just keeping their options open.  They will only really care about if enough people get a certian speed that allows them to market that speed to comply with ASA regulations.

Darren

« Reply #628 on: March 08, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »

Of course, BT have an R&D department, would be silly to believe otherwise. I think you underestimate their urgency, BT have said themselves they see vectoriing as a speed enabler so the focus isn't solely on the higher speed end.

A couple of years takes the mic Black Sheep, there will be no bickys with your cuppa if you don't get of your back side and get back to work :P :lol:

Just read something interesting WWWombat wrote on TBB..

BTW, I've seen that a BT engineer is due to talk about the results of their G.fast trial in April in Paris. Surely we'll hear about vectoring before that one!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #629 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »

They may see it as a speed enabler, they may plan for future rollout, but that doesnt mean they see it as urgent.

eg. They were testing adsl2+ for 4 years before they rolled it out.

BT first did vectoring testing over 2 years ago according to a ofcom document.

If it was urgent they would be rolling it out now not testing and talking about it. :)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44