Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 254643 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #585 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:29 AM »

Just for reference, the latest 24 hours SNRM graph is attached.

I am hoping today's engineer will phone my mobile No. & not the land line & that he will visit my home before disconnecting any cabling at the cabinet etc.

He would then hopefully see the problem for himself & maybe even hear the crackling that has only very recently been heard when conducting quiet line tests.

Disconnecting & reconnecting equipment does seem to effect a temporary cure, thus making any diagnosis very difficult.

Throughout the last few weeks of "issues", the phone has been amazingly quiet.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #586 on: May 25, 2012, 12:44:05 PM »

While I have been sat around, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the engineer to arrive for this MORNING'S appointment (only 16 minutes to go before the engineer ends up being late), I thought I would share a graph of the latest 8 hours SNRM levels with you.

I have intentionally not picked the phone up at all today, yet the connection has re-synced a few times, currently at only 12265k.

Today has been the hottest day of the year so far & my current issue is particularly focused on dry & warm weather.
I really do hope the engineer shows otherwise someone will be finding out that I'm not a particularly happy chappy.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #587 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

Well, that's another [censored] day off work wasted.

Apparently, OR cancelled today's appointment (specially arranged to coincide with weather forecasts) 2 hours after it was confirmed Tuesday 22nd May.

I have spoken with Alex over the phone today, expressing my "annoyance" that nobody confirmed the cancellation with me.

Alex was unable (or unwilling) to confirm why the appointment was cancelled.

He did say he would try to arrange another appointment for tomorrow.

To say I am now well & truly [censored] off with the whole bunch of [censored] is a massive understatement.

[censored] ups & breweries come to mind.

The strange thing is, if I missed an engineer's appointment I would be charged for it.
Who the [censored] stands the cost of all the time I have lost from work over these months - ME!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

My connection even re-synced at 13:26 after a load of crackling while I was on the phone to Plusnet.

Of course though, as Plusnet's systems don't see these quick "on the fly" re-syncs, there is only my word & my graphs as evidence.

If we didn't have the graphs, there would be no proof of a [censored] connection at all.

Don't anyone try to tell me this secrecy is NOT intentionally geared to con the users who pay for this [censored].

BTW, the phone was lovely & quiet immediately following the re-sync.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:59:36 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #588 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »

@ Paul,

It really is getting beyond a joke now. Cold comfort, but you will see in the comment that you are not alone with quite preposterous amounts of time wasted by the paying customers.

http://b4rn.org.uk/bbcs-the-one-show-b4rn-feature

eliw

« Reply #589 on: May 25, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »

Isnt there something you can do legally to force them to fix this once and for all ? Surely a letter to ofcom may trigger a complete rewiring of your line no matter what it costs. You should maybe consider going down this path.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #590 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »

By now, I would be considering sending a written letter of complaint (after taking a number of days to compose and edit it), by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery, with a complete log of events, copies of graphs, details of non-appearance of engineers, plus my invoice for time wasted per incident (£150-00 each) to the CEO of the BT Group, a.k.a. The Big Cheese, Ian Livingston at the Evil Empire's registered office [1].

[1] "BT Group's . . . registered office is the BT Centre, a 10-storey office building at 81 Newgate Street in the City of London, opposite St. Paul's tube station." Source: Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:01:46 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #591 on: May 26, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

joining this for updates..

sorry about your mess BA - I can at least share your pain haha...

good luck
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #592 on: May 26, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

Guess who is REALLY in the doghouse for "forgetting" his wedding anniversary due to all the pent up anger & stress caused by "others" -

ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO DON'T BOTHER TELLING USERS WHO LOSE A DAY'S PAY OR ANNUAL LEAVE THAT SPECIALLY ARRANGED ENGINEER APPOINTMENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED - & NOT FOR THE FIRST [censored] TIME EITHER!!

A written apology & some compensation from those who that cap fits may go some way to avoiding the stress to be now caused via probable divorce procedings.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #593 on: May 26, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »

ouch!!

sorry to hear about that....
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #594 on: May 26, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »

An eagle in a dog house, that's something to let the imagination loose on. :-\ >:D ;D :P :D

Could end up with a furred eagle or a bald dog.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #595 on: May 26, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »

Update 26/05/2012:

Nobody contacted me from Plusnet, either yesterday afternoon or this morning to confirm whether an engineer had been arranged for today or not.

I was therefore slightly surprised that an engineer (Liam) contacted me this afternoon confirming he was on his way.

Anyway, Liam hadn't been provided any background detals so on his arrival, I outlined the various issues, tests & repair works carried out to date.

Even though the filtered VDSL2 Service Specific FacePlate was only replaced in April, I had very recently retested my connection again with a telephone & the HG612 modem plugged into a dangly filter which was plugged into the master socket's test socket (filtered SSFP completely removed).

Left overnight, SNRM levels remained very stable, as did Output Power levels & various error counts were very low.
More importantly, I was again able to use the phone during the currently hot weather without it causing the connection to drop.

Liam firstly replaced the SSFP, mentioning that he had replaced quite a few as they are apparently prone to failing.
Quite often these faulty SSFPs cause a direct short circuit, completely disabling telephone & FTTC services.

After discussing the problem from February when engineers not working on my connection had caused disconnections while working at the top of the pole where my DP is located, Liam decided to check the connection/cabling at the DP itself.

A new undergound cable was installed from the nearby joint chamber to another DP on the same pole in February when those engineers were unable to provide any further services from the existing DPs.

Liam stated that if today's works didn't fix things, he would consider connecting me to this new UG cable (around 40m in total length). If necessary, that would have to be at another time though as he wasn't allowed to access joint chambers on his own.

While Liam was at the top of the pole, but before starting work, I noticed a brief disconnection of no longer than maybe 30 seconds or so duration.
My modem log has subsequently confirmed it as 27 seconds.

Liam spent a while at the top of the pole checking things & a longer disconnection was noticed.

On returning, Liam confirmed he had only intentionally disconnected once & the fact that when he did disconnect, the end of the old underground feed cable simply snapped off.
He stripped it right back & remade the connection to the DP (screwed not push fit).
That explained the 27 second unintentional disconnection and the unintended disconnections caused by the other engineers back in February.
According to Liam, that DP connection must have been only just serviceable for a long time.

On completion of his repair work Liam requested a DLM reset as my connection had been stuck at a maximum sync speed of of only 19999k for a few days.

This is tonight's result of this afternoon's DLM reset which seems to be holding its own (so far):-

Error counts are starting to build, but at a much slower rate than of late & they are no longer occuring in massive bursts of thousands/millions of errors within a one minute data sampling period.

All the internal extension wiring was reconnected & I am again able to use the telephone with only small drops in SNRM (0.3db) & without it causing a disconnection.

All in all, today's visit appears to have been successful.
However, this has also appeared to be the case from previous visits, unfortunately only lasting for a few days at a time.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:24:09 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #596 on: June 02, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »

Hows the connection holding Paul?

Mine is disappointing, currently syncing at 24Mbps.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #597 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »

Hows the connection holding Paul?

Mine is disappointing, currently syncing at 24Mbps.

Sorry to hear that Josh.

Mine's quite stable now (sync speed has dropped quite a bit though to 28.5Mb).

There have been just a couple of resyncs, to adjust interleaving depths & a couple of forced reboots since the engineer's visit.
There are no longer any problems from using the phone now.

US Attenuation since 2 days before the engineer's visit is bothering me.
It coincided with a change in DS band plan tones from 3939 tones to 3959 tones.

The US band plan where attenuation has increased a lot is outside what my connection can use anyway, so should not have had any effect, but it seems to have done so in lowering both DS & US attainable rates & sync speeds.

My attainable rate & sync speeds were higher than 35Mb when DLM was reset in March.
Attainable rate is currently 33.5Mb.

I'll keep an eye on it for a while before I ask Plusnet to have a look into matters again. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:25:28 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #598 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »

UPDATE 03/06/2012:

Following on from my previous message & 8 days since the engineer's visit, my connection has remained stable.

Looking at snapshot graphs, it is now more or less back to how it was in November 2011.

As mentioned before US attenuation shot up very recently & DS attenuation has increased by around 1dB.

Maybe the DS increase is simply due to the effect of warmer external temperatures on copper/ally cabling.
Temperature certainly affected the filtered SSFP that was O.K.(ish) in cool & wet weather & useless in warm & dry weather.

It is only a small increase, but at the speeds/frequencies involved, does appear to have a few Mb effect on sync speeds.

I suppose 26.5Mb throughput isn't too bad, but it is nowhere near the "up to" 40Mb service & is still 7Mb less than the "up to" 33.5 Mb throughput that I achieved at first.

The changes in band plan profiles from 8c to 17a & more recently a slight increase in available DS tones appear to have negatively affected my connection i.e. as these changes have been at slightly higher frequencies, my attenuation appears to have increased & therefore sync speeds decreased with each change.

My best sync speeds appear to have been on the old 8c profile where everything "up to" 40Mb was crammed into far fewer tones.

This is most unusual, as most other sub-40Mb users saw an increase in DS sync speeds with a slight decrease in US sync speeds.
It may indicate that my physical line conditions deteriorated immediately following the 4 day loss of service last July & have remained more highly attenuated than when FTTC was first installed.

That is my very strong suspicion as the connection did appear pretty near perfect until that point.

Unfortunately, as we are painfully aware, BT in their wisdom, intentionally hid all statstics from users by providing completely locked modems.
So, I have no early stats to compare against my current stats. How useful would that have been in either proving "fault" confditions or making me accept that my connection is & has been just what it is - SLOW DUE TO GENUINE DISTANCE FROM THE CABINET & not slow due to the original & COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC 14.6Mb estimated speed, which BTW is now 30Mb.

21 days to go to the first anniversary of my FTTC installation.
Will it be a celebration? :-\

EDIT:

Noise levels appear to have also increased, particularly at the higher frequencies.
This again could be due to physically higher attenuation/weaker signal to noise ratio or possibly increased cross-talk due to more users being connected.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:09:59 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #599 on: June 08, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

Just for fun, here's 190 days worth of my connection stats

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

anything