Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 253983 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

I can just imagine the queue in the Oldham exchange, of all the engineers trying to book some leave, starting 3rd March  :D

I like the BT code for your exchange -- MROLD. It allows one to picture all sorts of situations involving a Mr Old. Who could that be?  :P

Some poor soul will end up drawing the short straw.

They may even need to call in an engineer who has read the case notes from another patch  ???

As long as he is wearing a black wool coat it may be to your advantage. (Just don't mention the mint sauce!)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »

I like the BT code for your exchange -- MROLD. It allows one to picture all sorts of situations involving a Mr Old. Who could that be?  :P

Something else you can't remeber at your ripe age?

As long as he is wearing a black wool coat it may be to your advantage. (Just don't mention the mint sauce!)

Hmmm, sounds like a "tasty" proposition.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »

I can just imagine the queue in the Oldham exchange, of all the engineers trying to book some leave, starting 3rd March  :D

Some poor soul will end up drawing the short straw.

They may even need to call in an engineer who has read the case notes from another patch  ???

LOL ..... mint sauce. ;D

Am chuffed for you BE. I must be being thick here, but am not sure how Openreach can view your DSL history, as you are on LLU ??? I wasn't aware 'we' could view your logged events ?? Is it not Plusnet who have looked at your recent poor history, and Openreach have agreed to take the case off them without debate ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »

Hmmmm, reading it again, it might be that we haven't viewed your DSL history, but having performed an initial 'line test' of the MPF, conditions have shown up that would warrant a visit.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #439 on: March 01, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

I THINK it is something to do with a new tool that reports Error Seconds & Serious Error Seconds, disconnections etc.

I'm sure I read about it somewhere on the Openreach site, but I can't locate the relevant briefing at the moment.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »

I THINK it is something to do with a new tool that reports Error Seconds & Serious Error Seconds, disconnections etc.

I'm sure I read about it somewhere on the Openreach site, but I can't locate the relevant briefing at the moment.

The only 'tool' we use to monitor DSL is 'WHOOSH'. This monitors ES,SES and UAS. The latter being 'Unavailable seconds', or, a disconnection to you and me.

It's not a new tool really, it's always been available to BT Wholesale (and we engineers actually, in the early days of Broadband), it's only "New" to Openreach in that they've given us access back after much protestation from the likes of myself.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

Update 04/03/2012:

Well, the engineer didn't actually arrive yesterday, probably as BT are also also doing their own initiated tests as "they" had supposedly noticed frequent disconnections & high error counts.

I have yet to receive any feedback as to when/if an engineer will visit.
However, as my current sync speed is so low (23670k), error counts are currently also quite low.

Alex from Plusnet has confirmed that any investigation initiated by them will indeed to be to try to determine why my connection has been unable to exceed 30Mb sync speed since July.
My speed estimate at that time was only 14.6Mb, so it was difficult to claim a fault.
However, it has been estimated at 30Mb for a couple of months now.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #442 on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »

Update 09/03/2012:

Well, after yesterday's rearranged appointment being rearranged again for this morning, the engineer, ANDY, has just left.

He has left me in a bit of a state really.

Andy has visited previously, but neither of us could remember what he did last time (or was instructed by BT not to do).

My sync speed (following a BT reset, requested by Andy) has ended up at 35322k & these are throughput speeds:-

It is obviously early days yet & errors are starting to clock up (not too quickly yet), but today's visit seems to have finally done the trick after waiting for more than 7 months.

To say I am a reasonably happy chappy at the moment is a slight understatement.

A BIG thank you goes to Andy for listening to me & looking at my evidence.

The IP Profiles graph covering the last 7 months or so seemed to be the "clincher" that made him request the BT reset.

Paul.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #443 on: March 09, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

Apart from the reset, did he do anything else this time?

Colin

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #444 on: March 09, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »

Hi Paul,

That seems a fantastic result - very well done everybody involved !!

However early days as you say = the training period has started again.

Fingers & everything else crossed !

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #445 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »

Congratulations. Paws crossed, etc.

I suspect that Mrs Eagle will be overjoyed that you will finally be able to find time for her "little jobs" (a new kitchen, a new utility room), rather than playing with 'puters and "things" in your office.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »

Hi Colin,

Apart from the reset, did he do anything else this time?

Colin

Other than a Pair Quality Test that returned a result of 61, no.

@ Black Sheep - Does that look about "right"?

I tried my hardest to get him to run a "reassurance" TDR test, but he wouldn't do so as my new sync speed already exceeded the newish 30 Mb estimate (It was only 14.6Mb a few months ago).

This was his update to Plusnet on completion of this morning's visit:-

"SFI notes: cse called for co-op on ongoing speed issue , circuit in sync at 27.4meg down. rrt shows geren since 28/02/2012. I have recalculation dlm as suspect may have failed to increment automatically.

now in sync at Downstream Line Rate (Mbit/s) 35.3 Upstream Line Rate (Mbit/s) 6.4 these speeds are well
above that expected for area given distance from pcp and local lineplant." 

As long as the connection stays in sync over the next few days & error counts don't cause DLM to take "negative" action, I will remain reasonably pleased with the eventual outcome, ignoring the thought that the switch to the 17a profile could/should have brought my connection a little closer to a stable 40Mb sync speed.

Paul.

EDIT:

IP Profiles graph following this morning's visit is attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #447 on: March 09, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

That seems a fantastic result - very well done everybody involved !!

However early days as you say = the training period has started again.

Fingers & everything else crossed !

I will definitely second Walter's sentiment & thank you everyone for the various snippets of advice that have EVENTUALLY got me back to where I started some 7 months or so ago.

I would like to record my special thanks to Alex R at Plusnet for not simply fobbing me off with this matter.
I admit I may have badgered him to death at times, but he has always been willing to take my comments on board & has been wiiling to look at all the "unofficially obtained" stats that I have provided over the last few months.

It HAS taken a long time & HAS needed a little persistence from me & without access to the stats from an unlocked modem (thanks asbokid) & development of the graphing scripts (thanks b*cat) I would still be stuck with a very unstable & low speed connection.

I will obviously monitor my connection over the next few days/weeks/months, the next 24 hours possibly being the most critical as that is when DLM most likely takes any action it sees fit for FTTC connections.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #448 on: March 09, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

Cheers b*cat,

Congratulations. Paws crossed, etc.

I suspect that Mrs Eagle will be overjoyed that you will finally be able to find time for her "little jobs" (a new kitchen, a new utility room), rather than playing with 'puters and "things" in your office.  ;)

I imagine that will be the first thing she mentions when I tell her this morning's vist appears to have been a success  ;)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #449 on: March 09, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »

Hot off the press folks:-

Update a couple of minutes ago from Alex R at Plusnet:-

"That all sounds very promising indeed.  Like you say it will require monitoring over the course of a few days.  I actually tried to modify your circuit today to 80/20 but unfortunately the option is not available at the moment.  Any issues, just update the ticket."

Paul.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

anything