Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 253985 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:45 PM »

Dear All,

Here is the link for the draft Summary document:-

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7Kcea04kkOEZDYyZDkzMGEtM2Q4OC00NzY2LTgxNWUtNGVhZTQyMjZkZmM2&hl=en_US

Please feel free to comment / slate it to bits.

I would really appreciate your feedback on whether it makes sense, appears factually well founded, & clearly proves that I did have a good connection for almost a full month, & that since the total loss of service, the data/chart/graph proves there is still a physical & repairable fault somewher in the connection between the cabinet & my house.

I need to re-engage Plusnet to pursue a resolution to this matter as they appear to have given up on me now.

As they confirm they have no real data to work with, I am struggling to understand how they can state that my connection is within acceptable limits.

Does 12Mb download speed really appear within acceptable limits for an up to 40Mb service that did deliver 30Mb for a while, despite the pre-install estimated 14.6Mb that nobody appears to be able to confirm EXACTLY what it was based upon?

Paul.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

Are your speed tests performed via ethernet or wireless ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »

Paul,

For the July 21st to 26th incident, have PlusNet provided you with a copy of the OR engineer's report? Sight of that will show exactly what work was done and thus, from that, what caused your service outage. ???

[Completely OT but b*cat notices that this is his 2^9 th posting in the fora.  :)  ]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:09:17 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #333 on: October 06, 2011, 05:54:43 AM »

Are your speed tests performed via ethernet or wireless ?

Always via ethernet from my destop PC that is located aproximately 1m away from the BT modem & master socket, which used to be an extenion & was converted to a master by the installing engineer.

The wireless laptop is a good distance & 2' thick walls away from the modem & router, so is never used for speed tests.

The wiring from the point of entry to the master socket is high quality shielded twisted 2 pair cable. 1 pair goes directly to the master & the other pair goes off to my phone extensions.

Every visiting engineer has checked the internal wiring & socket & I ran my connection for a few weeks with the extension wiring disconnected.

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:11:45 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #334 on: October 06, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »

For the July 21st to 26th incident, have PlusNet provided you with a copy of the OR engineer's report? Sight of that will show exactly what work was done and thus, from that, what caused your service outage. ???

Hi b*cat,

Nope, other than it was an external fault that has been fixed.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »

Hi Folks,

Just waiting for another update from Plusnet regarding my response to their very recent statement that any futher investigation has now ceased as my connection is within acceptable limits compared to my pre-install estimate, with NFF (no faults found???)

BTW, does this sound at all vaguely familiar? :-

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99006.0.html

Bob Pullen from Plusnet said "I'm not sure I'd consider 19Mbps to be a 'poop speed'"

I consider 19Mb to be 'poop' compared to the 37Mb that the poor lad WAS getting.

Paul.

EDIT:
Why on earth has this thread reached page 23?

The issue is simple.

I had a really stable, high speed connection.

BT carried out some "work". I don't know what it was, or who it was for.
The result was that I lost both my phone & broadband services for 4 days.

BT supposedly fixed the fault that THEY had caused.

Ever since then, my connection has been quite unstable & my speeds have been low.

BTW, Plusnet have recently advised me to take this matter up with Ofcom and/or use their own complaints procedure as they intend to do nothing else to resolve it.
I thought I was paying Plusnet for phone & broadband services that they would fix when they break.

Still awaiting a response regarding their NFF message.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:26:33 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »

<snip>

I had a really stable, high speed connection.

BT carried out some "work". I don't know what it was, or who it was for.
The result was that I lost both my phone & broadband services for 4 days.

BT supposedly fixed the fault that THEY had caused.

Ever since then, my connection has been quite unstable & my speeds have been low.

<snip>

Perhaps the "Big Chief"'s office should be made aware of this debacle -- how two subsidiary organisations (OR and PlusNet) of his group (the BT Group) have dug themselves into a pit and, due to what seems to be silly pride, refuse to stop digging. In essence, the ports of the DSLAM in the fibre cabinet should be delivering 40 Mbps downstream and not 22 Mbps. If the DSLAM is faulty, it should be replaced. Too much obfuscation has been attempted by OR and PlusNet. Shame on them both.

The Big Chief. His office contact e-mail address: Ian.Livingston@bt.com

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »

In essence, the ports of the DSLAM in the fibre cabinet should be delivering 40 Mbps downstream and not 22 Mbps. If the DSLAM is faulty, it should be replaced. Too much obfuscation has been attempted by OR and PlusNet. Shame on them both.

Thanks for the contact details b*cat.

One of my problems is that until quite recently, whenever BT's engineers referred to the cabinet, I took it to mean the fibre cabinet as I have a FTTC service.
It actually transpires that they mean the old cabinet (at the other end of the patch cable from the FTTC cabinet).
I have discovered that the OR engineers that have visited me are not actually allowed inside the fibre cabinet.

As the DSLAM & DLM equipment are located inside the fibre cabinet, DLM will have had its wicked way with my connection before the end of the patch cable at the old cabinet.

Now, when the L & S was carried out, I was promised the equivalent of a new connection, thus allowing DLM to have its way, & for my connection to retrain from 40Mb right from the start.

It has not been confirmed, although I have asked a few times, whether my connection was re-set at 40Mb following the L & S.

As stats & graphs from my unlocked modem, collected immediately after the last engineer left my home, suggest that was NOT the case, is it any wonder that my speeds have not & WILL NOT return if my starting speed is not much above 20Mb.

I have tried my hardest to explain these matters to Plusnet, to no avail (despite me providing plenty of sufficient evidence).

Alongside the low starting speeds is the potentially ongoing issue regarding my line's instability since I lost services for 4 days.
e.g. last weekend, when "something" caused my modem to re-sync at below 10Mb while I was still tucked up in bed.
My download speeds were obviously lower than the sync speed.

I not allowed to talk to BT, Plusnet have refused to talk to BT, will Ofcom really talk to BT on my behalf?
Probably not a b*cat in hell's chance.

Have the big guys squashed the little guy yet again?
Not without a fight they haven't.

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:05:47 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »

One of my problems is that until quite recently, whenever BT's engineers referred to the cabinet, I took it to mean the fibre cabinet as I have a FTTC service.
It actually transpires that they mean the old cabinet (at the other end of the patch cable from the FTTC cabinet).
I have discovered that the OR engineers that have visited me are not actually allowed inside the fibre cabinet.

Yes, I appreciate that fact, Paul. When you next travel down Heywood Lane, stop and take a look at the locks on the original PCP and its fibre pairing. You will see that the PCP and one section of the fibre cabinet have triangular "heads" to the lock bolts, whilst the electronics side of the fibre cabinet has star "heads" to the lock bolts. A POTS network engineer or a broadband CSE will only have a "triangular" key and, according to a discussion I had with Mr Pag, even a broadband SFI CSE such as himself is not supposed to open the "triangular" side of the fibre cabinet.

For good measure, you might as well give both cabinets a good kick -- it is strange the effects to which modern electronics will respond. >:D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #339 on: October 08, 2011, 12:18:25 AM »

@ Paul,

I have been thinking about your lamentable situation re the best method of obtaining a satisfactory outcome.

I think we must assume that PlusNet do not want to consider the invaluable technical evidence you have provided to assist them in their dialogue with BT Openreach.
There is perhaps a slim chance that the BT Group might see that this is very bad negative publicity. Very sadly, if not rectified, it demonstrates a monumental investment blunder that the BT Group have made in attempting to continue with the GPO's Public Switched Telephone Network.

Perhaps to you, as an individual, the latter is of little consequence and does nothing to improve matters for the service you are paying for. In these circumstances, perhaps the only remedy is one of shrewd patience. I.e maintain an accurate record of the bRAS figures and BT speed tests to demonstrate the unacceptable unreliability of your service. After a suitable time has elapsed you present this data both here, to PlusNet and to your MP and local Government representatives as broadband has become a political topic. (I am reasonably sure Ofcom will have no interest in an individual's case.)

Kind regards,
Walter

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »

Have you considered discussing your issue with Andrews & Arnold?

We pride ourselves in having a very capable team of people that deal with faults. We have a close working relationship with BT, and our team are well known within all parts of BT for not tolerating being fobbed off.

If they managed to get it sorted you could really rub PN's nose in it!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »

Have you considered discussing your issue with Andrews & Arnold?

We pride ourselves in having a very capable team of people that deal with faults. We have a close working relationship with BT, and our team are well known within all parts of BT for not tolerating being fobbed off.

If they managed to get it sorted you could really rub PN's nose in it!

I have indeed considered AAISP.

However, I am only a few months into a long Plusnet FTTC contract, with early termination costs etc.
(Mind you, Plusnet would probably pay ME to walk away now) :lol:

I still have every faith that Plusnet will manage to get BT to resolve this simple issue:-

My connection was brilliant.
BT carried out some work, for someone, somewhere, that left me without a connection for 4 days.
My connection has been variously unstable & slow ever since its reinstatement.
BT and/or Plusnet keep referring to my pre-install estimated speed of only 14.6Mb, despite me achieving high speeds right up to BT's "accidental" disconnection.

Paul.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »

My son experience a very similar problem earlier this year which, after much to-ing and fro-ing has now been solved.  It turned out to be a severed connection in the last mile coppers that had been hurriedly twisted back together by (the culprit) whoever severed them in the first place.  Surprise, surprise - British Gas (or their contractor) had done some mains repair work in their street.  Once the BT contractor had dug down to where the fault was detected to be, a bundled "repair" was found with gaffer tape around it to "keep out the damp".  The (multiple core) cable was then correctly terminated and properly insulated and reburied.  Result - fault totally cleared.

Had any gas or water mains work in the neighbourhood recently?

Colin

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »

Had any gas or water mains work in the neighbourhood recently?

Colin

Hi Colin (camallison),

I am not aware of any "other" work being carried out by other statutory undertakers at that time.

From the limited information I have at hand, it would appear that BT accepted responsibility for the loss of service, but will NOT accept responsibility for restoring my connection to its original condition.

Feedback from Plusnet only this afternoon (via Alex Rolls) indicates that as far as they are concerned, the matter is now closed.

Despite previous denials from various Plusnet agents, Alex also confirms that FTTC speeds,  following the training period, usually diminish - quote:- "as we see this phenomenom with most of our fibre lines"

He also only now confirms (after 2 months of hassle) that "We also saw this throughout the FTTx trial".

I was led to believe the training period was 10 days & then MSR (maximum stable rate) & FTR (fault threshold rate) were established.

It now appears that the training period for FTTC can be up to a month.
Well, at least that's how long my connection provided stable & high speeds.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

Shame on PlusNet. >:(

Shame on OpenReach. >:(

The time has come to make a written request (paper, envelope and stamp) to PlusNet's registered office for a copy of the engineering report that was dawn up as part of the documentation of the repair process from when OpenReach resolved your four days without any telephony or Internet service. :-X

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

anything