Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 254727 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #315 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »

@ Paul,

I don't understand how you can remain so calm !

Just to remind everyone the "up to 40 Mbps" is the synchronisation speed whereas the speed test is one of actual throughput. I know of one good service around here at about 100 m from the FTTC where the throughput is around 37 Mbps.

I've also noted that bRAS figures usually recover within about 24 hours instead of in days, so perhaps some observations this evening and tomorrow might see some further speed restoration.

The pressing question is how do we get BT Openreach to listen to the ISP and rectify the anomaly once and for all ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #316 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »

@ Paul,

I don't understand how you can remain so calm !

Just to remind everyone the "up to 40 Mbps" is the synchronisation speed whereas the speed test is one of actual throughput. I know of one good service around here at about 100 m from the FTTC where the throughput is around 37 Mbps.

I've also noted that bRAS figures usually recover within about 24 hours instead of in days, so perhaps some observations this evening and tomorrow might see some further speed restoration.

The pressing question is how do we get BT Openreach to listen to the ISP and rectify the anomaly once and for all ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Cheers Walter,

I also need to get the ISP to listen to this end user, rather than have them keep requoting my original (& widely acknowledged as ridiculously conservative) BT speed estimate of 14.6Mb.

The fact remains that I achieved stable high speeds for a reasonably prolonged period, completely regardless of the pre-install estimates.

If I could achieve them previously, something must now need "fixing" that has deteriorated between then & now.

If my line had always been sub-standard, surely I could never have achieved the higher speeds.

You have already seen estimates for yourself, relating to a property just across the road from me, of 27.9Mb, along with a statement that users in the area have achieved those speeds.
They must have been my achieved speeds, as there are not many other properties in my area & I was indeed stuck at 27.9Mb for a while following the first batch of disconnections that were initially suspected to be due to an overheating modem.

EDIT:
I have been told by a number of Plusnet staff that via FTTC, reductions in bRAS/IP Profile can be more or less instant, & that recovery can take up to 10-14 days.
Hence my absence from this forum for a while.

Current modem screenshot attached.
I note no errors.
I usually have quite a few when synched at a higher speed.

Paul.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:17:33 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »

Hi
Is the line attenuation of 0 db a reporting error ?
Regards jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2011, 06:59:43 PM »

Hi Jeff,

If I can deputise for Paul, I believe asbokid has discovered a generic bug in all modems using the chip in this one; it produces a 0 attenuation on VDSL services but not ADSL ones.

All part of life's rich tapestry !

Kind regards,
Walter

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:58 PM »

Hi
Is the line attenuation of 0 db a reporting error ?
Regards jeff

Hi Jeff,

It's a firmware bug that is present in other devices that are based on the Broadcom 6368 VDSL2 chipset.

It is present because Broadcom hasn't updated the API between the webserver and the xDSL driver MIB for this particular chipset.

The webserver still looks to the MIB variables that were used to hold the ADSL2 attenuation measurements.

However, VDSL2 uses multiple upstream and downstream channels, (U0,U1,U2 and U3) and (D1, D2 and D3).

Somebody decided that a single (average) figure for line attenuation wasn't appropriate for VDSL2 since attenuation is frequency dependent.

But whoever built the Huawei firmware and specifically the middleware that sits between the webserver and the xDSL driver, didn't update the MIB references to point to the right MIB variables.

Broadcom's confidential source code for the ADS2+ driver was accidentally published last year, so you can get a good idea of what happens under the bonnet with the 63xx xDSL driver. Unfortunately, noone to date has leaked the source code modifications for VDSL2, otherwise the attenuation bug could be patched once and for all.

It's possible to hack together a patch by modifying the ASP code in the Huawei's web interface so that the attenuation figures for a VDSL2 connection are retrieved from a different source (from the response to a 'pbParams' request made to xdslcmd, a tool in the firmware).   That's a bit of clumsy solution, though.

Cheers,
a

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the very  informative reply  :)
Regards Jeff
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the very  informative reply  :)
Regards Jeff

& just what I was going to say  ;D

According to Plusnet, I now have a perfectly acceptable Profile Name of 7.5Mb-15Mb.

That seems quite good for an "Up to" 40Mb service, from a cabinet situated just a few hundred yards from my home ???

I might post Plusnet's full response to my recent & drastic downturn in both DS & US speeds later on, (if I can be bothered).

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

I might post Plusnet's full response to my recent & drastic downturn in both DS & US speeds later on, (if I can be bothered).

Paul,

You must be bothered enough to make the posting otherwise you are giving a tacit signal that "they" have won. >:(

There is an option to consider, at this stage. Request a MAC code from PlusNet and then join Andrews & Arnold. The latter CP / ISP enjoys, nay, relishes fixing the problems that other CPs / ISPs can't (or won't attempt to) fix. :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2011, 08:16:01 PM »

I have read this thread with interest and there is one thing that stands out.
However, they say that as my line faults were "fixed", & I was achieving download speeds higher than the estimated 15 Mbps, there is nothing they can do to report a fault to BT:-
That absolutely stinks of the old upto 8megs. I know we are talking higher figures with the FTTC but the mention of achieving what they (Plusnet owned by BT) feel is an acceptable connection rate. I would say you are on an uphill struggle to improve things. It's like trying to run through treacle once things like that get mentioned.
If Walters suggestion works then it will be wonderful, however I doubt very much that you will get any favourable response as it will leave the door wide open for anyone in the same or similar situation contacting the person mentioned.
Good luck all the same.
From my first post on this thread. Sorry but I had an idea it would come to something like this.
I had a very similar experience with BT, albeit upto 8megs. This IP profile rubbish finished me with BT for good on broadband. Kept the landline and changed to LLU on adsl2+.

burakkucat's idea sounds like a good way to go.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »

Hmmmmmmm

I'll mull all this over & decide what to do tomorrow.

Paul.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »

Hi
Plusnet is this the some "honest  Yorkshire broadband "

Regards Jeff
zen user

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:57 AM »

>> Plusnet is this the same "honest  Yorkshire broadband " <<

No it is now part of the BT conglomerate!!!

No longer independent.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

Hi
Plusnet is this the some "honest  Yorkshire broadband "

Regards Jeff

Nearly Jeff.

Their adverts say "GOOD HONEST BROADBAND FROM YORKSHIRE"

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

Dear Readers,

I now have mulled this matter over for a while.

Unlike Plusnet & BT, I have collated factual data (not supposition, "likely" scenarios, & completely false information), from both before & after I had access to an unlocked modem's statistics.

I have briefly summarised the various issues into 1.5 sheets of A4 paper, & added backup charts, graphs, & tabulated data.

Seeing the information graphically presented, it is vey clear to me that I enjoyed high speeds & stability for more or less a full month before my phone & broadband services were completely cut off for a 4 day period starting 21st July.
Nobody has ever confirmed what actually caused this unexpected loss of service.

& as far as I am concerned, nobody has ever convinced me that it has ever been fully fixed.
I believe my data clearly & undeniably proves that point.

From that date right up to today, the factual data clearly demonstrates a low speed connection (very low for periods) with much instability.

The whole document is too large to post in this forum so I will find somewhere to locate it & provide a link for you to read it & pass any suitable/helpful comments before I send it to the relevant levels of Plusnet's & BT's management tiers.

I also fully intend to publicise the outcome along with my findings as widely as possible.

I am still fully prepared to accept that matters have not yet been resolved due to the learning curve that both Plusnet agents & BT engineers are still clearly climbing.
I will also fully publicise a successful outcome (if there should be one).

Watch this space for the link to the document.
I hope to provide it some time this evening

Paul.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »

Hi
Good for you . Wish you lots of success. :)
Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44