Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 253942 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »

Dear Readers,

Just a quick update.

It seems like there has been a slight misunderstanding regarding PSTN/Broadband engineer tests/visits etc.

Alex from Plusnet has today confirmed that a FTTC3 Engineer will now be carrying out some line tests & visiting my home, with a view to restarting the DLM "at the full 40 Mb" on Friday morning.

Following the 2 separate PSTN engineers' visits on Monday, it would appear the "broadband engineer" tests (not requiring a home visit) that I understood were arranged for today, will now be combined in Friday's home visit. 

I am still slightly convinced that my line has only been partially fixed (by removal of the double jumpering on Monday), as I still experienced a disconnection/reconnection, crackly phone line, & drop in IP Profile to around 12 Mb an hour or so AFTER its removal.
At least my line attenuation should now have reduced substantially, & may now even be in balance regarding downstream & upstream readings from the JDSU.
This will be revealed on Friday. The camera is fully charged & ready for action.

FYI, I had to turn all my power off for a few minutes last night while I carried out a bit of unassociated rewiring work.
Apart from that, my connection has been stable, but slow, & my phone line has been quiet.

On switching it back on, my IP Profile immediately jumped up, from the 12 Mb that it had dropped down to following Monday's work, up to 20 Mb.
This "appears" to suggest that end-user intervention is sometimes required following re-syncing events that are outside the end-user's control.
This goes completely against all the advice that modems should be left switched on 24/7 for DLM to take care of things?
It also seems to suggest that DLM initiated IP Profiles can actually get "stuck".

Stay tuned folks.
More updates on Friday.

@ razpag,
Just for curiosity, do you know if there is a "reset" button, or a laptop interface in the actual FTTC cabinet for resetting DLM back to the full whack for individual connections?

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:49:00 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

Dear Readers,

Just a quick update.

It seems like there has been a slight misunderstanding regarding PSTN/Broadband engineer tests/visits etc.

An FTTC3 Engineer will now be carrying out some line tests & visiting my home with a view to restarting the DLM "at the full 40 Mb" on Friday morning.

Following the 2 separate PSTN engineers' visits on Monday, it would appear the "broadband engineer" tests (not requiring a home visit) that I understood were arranged for today, will now be combined in Friday's home visit. 

I am still fairly convinced that my line has only been partially fixed (by removal of the double jumpering on Monday), as I still experienced a disconnection/reconnection, crackly phone line, & drop in IP Profile to around 12 Mb an hour or so AFTER its removal.
At least my line attenuation should now have reduced substantially, & may now even be in balance regarding downstream & upstream readings from the JDSU.
This will be revealed on Friday. The camera is fully charged & ready for action.

FYI, I had to turn all my power off for a few minutes last night while I carried out a bit of unassociated rewiring work.

On switching it back on, my IP Profile immediately jumped up, from the 12 Mb that it had dropped down to following Monday's work, up to 20 Mb.
This "appears" to suggest that end-user intervention is sometimes required following re-syncing events that are outside the end-user's control.
This goes completely against all the advice that modems should be left switched on 24/7 for DLM to take care of things?
It also seems to suggest that DLM initiated IP Profiles can actually get "stuck".

Stay tuned folks.
More updates on Friday.

@ razpag,
Just for curiosity, do you know if there is a "reset" button, or a laptop interface in the actual FTTC cabinet for resetting DLM back to the full whack for individual connections?

Paul.

Hi Paul

Firstly, apologies for not getting back to you sooner (RE- the PM), have had a busy personal life this last 2 days/nights. So, having read your latest post, I wont need to respond to the PM mate.

To answer your question on the last paragraph in your post ..... no there isn't. It will most likely (IMO) be a case of BTw 'rebuilding' the DSLAM remotely, or, a 'Lift & Shift' ??. I've no idea Paul, as I don't know what measures Openreach, BTw and Plusnet have agreed to ??

To cover another statement made within your post. You've only re-synched back at 20Mb as you've in forced a 'Power cycle' by turning the Hub off whilst working on your electrics. The DLM will still take this back down to 12Mb over an ammount of time if you still have a fault present. Constant turning on and off of a Hub/Router that is under DLM (RAMBo), especially 21CN products has nothing but a detrimental effect for the vast majority of circuits. TBH, this is going slightly off topic as there is another thread somewhere where this has been debated.

Another issue you had was, "What is an FTTC3 Engineer ??". Honestly ??, I haven't the foggiest Paul. Never heard that terminology used within OR.

Fingers crossed yet again for Friday mate. ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »

@ razpag,

No worries re the PM. Due to the "misunderstanding" it didn't matter anyway.

I was that keen to not turn off the modem, I nearly did the wiring without turning off the power.
Remember what it was like before health & safety was invented?
It was too dark though.

Apparently, a type 3 engineer is "broadband", a type 1 engineer is "PSTN".
I think a type 2 engineer is the one that brews up & goes to the greasy spoon for the bacon butties.
These must be Plusnet's own terms if you have not heard of them before.

I can't wait to see the JDSU readings on Friday. I'm getting all excited just thinking about it.

Paul.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »

Ha ha ha ...... me and a dozen others too I would think Paul. Might take a days A/L and come to yours on Friday ??  ;) ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »

Ha ha ha ...... me and a dozen others too I would think Paul. Might take a days A/L and come to yours on Friday ??  ;) ;D

You're genuinely welcome any time between 8am & 1pm.
OMG, that sounds like a bloody BT appointment :lol:

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »

You're genuinely welcome any time between 8am & 1pm.
OMG, that sounds like a bloody BT appointment :lol:

;D You could print tickets, judging by the ammount of interest on here Paul !!

'Bald Eagle's 35Meg surprise party. Bring your own JDSU's.'      ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »

;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »

Clever beggar !!! LOL.  ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

I'll come! :drink:

Especially as I am now the owner of a 301C. :dance:

Completely OT but does anyone else appreciate the look of this piece of antique GPO test equipment that I discovered for sale on eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130563649602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The current bid of £0.01 was not made by b*cat. :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »

What do you mean ....... antiquated ???  ;D

There's still odds and sods of the old-style testing equipment, knocking around various exchanges. I have to say though, i've never heard of a stand-alone PBX tester ?? The old 'Test Desk' (as in a desk and not a unit like the image on e-Bay) used to perform a myriad of functions, including PBX tests. I thought all testing was incorporated within the Test Desk ??

Not my forte at all though, as I only had perhaps 4/5 yrs of experiencing the old Strowger/Crossbar/TXD/TXE exchanges.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »

Ee by 'eck,

I'm all of a tither that I'll get back my "Good Honest Broadband From Yorkshire" tomorrow.

TBH, it's the bit delivered through Oldham's suspect cabling that I'm bothered about  :no:

Progress update tomorrow folks.

The champagne's on ice, just in case.

Paul.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Hi
quote : This goes completely against all the advice that modems should be left switched on 24/7 for DLM to take care of things?
You don't mention your SNR margin .
If your   last resynch was done during a noisy period then your synch rate would have been lower than optimum synch  for your (target) snr margin and attenuation  . If the noise decreased allowing your SNR margin to go up then you manually resynching would result in an increase in synch rate with the (target) Snr margin applied by the DLM .
This situation is not normally resolved by the DLM .

quote It also seems to suggest that DLM initiated IP Profiles can actually get "stuck".

Don't know bout 21cn but yes its possible
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

Regards Jeff
zen user

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »

Hi
quote : This goes completely against all the advice that modems should be left switched on 24/7 for DLM to take care of things?
You don't mention your SNR margin .
If your   last resynch was done during a noisy period then your synch rate would have been lower than optimum synch  for your (target) snr margin and attenuation  . If the noise decreased allowing your SNR margin to go up then you manually resynching would result in an increase in synch rate with the (target) Snr margin applied by the DLM .
This situation is not normally resolved by the DLM .

quote It also seems to suggest that DLM initiated IP Profiles can actually get "stuck".

Don't know bout 21cn but yes its possible
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

Regards Jeff

Cheers jefbb,

Page 15 already. I really hope we don't end up filling up any more pages.
There should still hopefully be room on page 15 for me to report a successful outcome tomorrow.

One of the problems is that we just can't see our connection stats so I have absolutely no idea what my SNR & attenuation levels are at any given time.

I have read that a resync during daylight hours is preferred as lines typically become "noisy" in the evenings.
However, my own limited experience with FTTC is that (for whatever reason) whenever the modems have resynced in the evenings, the speeds have been higher than when resyncing during daylight hours.
This also appears to contradict current advice.

By far, the vast majority of resync events have not been initiated by me.
Plusnet have advised me to hang on for 10-14 days & the speeds should increase automatically via DLM, assuming the line is stable.

The fact that the various modems have been incapable of hanging on to a connection for that length of time (apart from the first couple of weeks), seems to clearly suggest a line instability issue that just needs "fixing".
Monday's engineers thought they had tracked it down & "fixed" it.
Whenever I have checked my phone line recently, at the same time the modems are attempting to automatically reconnect following an uninitiated disconnection, I have heard the crackling on the phone (even since Monday's "fix").

Just as an experiment, I turned off the modem today for a few minutes then turned it back on again, whilst listening to the phone.
All the way through to being able to browse the internet again, the phone was completely silent.
However, my IP profile dropped from over 20 Mb back down to less than 15 Mb. That was around lunchtime.

There is a known issue with the BT modems overheating & being unable to maintain connections.
In my case, I believe this known issue may have mis-led both Plusnet & BT into thinking the modems have been the problem.
I have told them on a number of occasions that any modems I have used have only ever felt "a bit warm", definitely not hot.

Hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow when BT will be testing "everything" & resetting my profile to the full 40 Mb.
Going off when FTTC was first installed, I would expect around 35 Mb (ish) by the time it reaches my house after travelling for around 820m or so.
If nothing else, I will be able to obtain my connection stats from the engineer's JDSU & compare them with the last time they were obtained.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »

Engineer arrived.

Won't let me get the JDSU stats. Reckons he would get sacked if he showed me, never mind a photo.

Gone to Cab to check for 40 Mb

Only 22 Mb at home (verbally only from the engineer)

PQT & everything O.K.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:59:25 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

Hi Paul,

Surely it's necessary for somebody to reset (Possibly retrain ?) the service to allow the full speed?

Assuming you still see 22 Mb isn't that about the speed limit that Plusnet have said the service was configured to provide at present ?

It's rather disappointing that the BT Engineer believes he's not allowed to disclose the data to demonstrate the performance of the service you are paying for.

EDIT :- However I believe that the JDSU uploads the test results to a BT database when a connection is available so all is not (yet) lost. All you now have to do is request that PlusNet provide you with that data so you can monitor the condition of your service adequately. Given that this data is quite freely available on all other types of ADSL, I cannot believe that FTTC service performances are commercially secret. I know that ISPs have always, up to now, been allowed to give you the engineers' visit reports data.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:30:38 AM by waltergmw »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

anything