Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 253963 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »

As Ezzer has explained above, Channel Bonding was applied to ISDN/Highway units if requested. I think you are on about connecting 2 full pairs together (4 wires) on the D-side network in order to give a greater poundage ?? If you are, this is a massive no-no, the AC Balance would be extremely low as it would regard it as a 'split pair'.

@razpag,

The 4 wires to "double up" is what I was wondering. Just trying to cover all bases in my own mind.
I did mention it was a silly question, but other silliness does appear to have gone on at various stages with this issue ;)

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:48:43 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

@ BKK,

Your methods are another approach but I would change your item 2 (or add item 2a) to say disconnect the E side tie pair and perform the TDR to Paul's. You then have the entire cct measured.

Given that the line crackle is highly intermittent and the only constant error indication seems to be the low sync, I still suggest that all engineers working on this fault should at least have access to, and be trained in, the use of a JDSU or EXFO.
Even if a JDSU observation is just the final test, that method would be a good way of finally closing this fault down. That way Mr & Mrs Eagle can resume normal service and return to their domestic bliss !

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »

FYI, I have only ever noticed the crackling following the modem's disconnection, during the reconnection process (I do keep having a quick listen at other times).

As soon as the modem reconnects (reasonably quickly), the crackling immediately stops.

Could the modem disconnecting/reconnecting cause the crackling, or is it the crackling that causes the modem to disconnect/reconnect?

The Netgear router as supplied by Plusnet usually takes up to 5 minutes to reconnect to the Internet (I don't reboot it). Sometimes it is a little quicker.

I don't have another suitable router to try. Could an intermittently defective router possibly cause this issue?

My internal wiring has been visually checked a number of times by various BT engineers, & was actually reconnected by BT during the original FTTC installation, but I am not aware that it has been tested using any electronic "devices".
The filtering at the master socket should eliminate any potential issues from my own connected equipment/wiring anyway, shouldn't it?

I still await feedback from Plusnet regarding the next step(s) to resolve this.

Paul.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »

Hi Paul,

You might try gently moving all the components whilst listening on the phone. You could also suggest the next engineer replaces the socket components and replaces the modem RJ11 cable, just in case.

{VOIP modems (Where you plug a phone directly into the modem) are the only ones that I know of that have a relay inside which you usually hear click during the power up sequence.}

Kind regards,
Walter

alexrolls

• Just arrived
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

Hi Baldeagle1,

Your line is configured for a maximum speed of 22.4Mbps currently but the modem is only achieving approximately 12Mbps.  I've set the ball rolling for a broadband engineer to visit as per the previous telephone engineer recommendation.  If you can update your support ticket with date and times of availability i'll get this booked for you.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »

Thanks Alex,

Will do.

Paul.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »

"Configured to a maximum of .....". Surely this configuration (Capping ?) needs removing now the attenuation issue has been resolved. It was that which was the absolute major contributing factor, to only having a max possible connection of 22/23 Meg. The attenuation is back to what it should be, and therefore the DSL should be reset to default inorder that BE gets his full whack back.

Walter, we don't fault to component level anymore, haven't done for over 20years. If the socket is faulty, the whole thing will be changed out.

We will only change the RJ11 lead if a 'Boost' task has been raised against the fault. The 'Boost' tasks are currently dominated by BTr, but I believe Plusenet and Sky are either coming on board, or are on board but I haven't had a task from them yet ?? With the 'Boost' tasks, we are allowed to replace the Hub/Router and associated leads. With bog-standard SFI tasks, we only work to the socket.

BE -- your question wasn't "Silly" as this method was employed over the years on POTS lines over a certain distance.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »

FYI, I have only ever noticed the crackling following the modem's disconnection, during the reconnection process (I do keep having a quick listen at other times).

As soon as the modem reconnects (reasonably quickly), the crackling immediately stops.

That is interesting and requires investigation. If at all possible, when a disconnection (loss of sync) occurs could you very quickly disconnect the Netgear router, as well as listening on the phone? If no crackling has been heard by the time the modem has re-established sync with the cabinet's DSLAM, then the Ethernet cable between the modem & the router and the router itself should be checked.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »

"Configured to a maximum of .....". Surely this configuration (Capping ?) needs removing now the attenuation issue has been resolved. It was that which was the absolute major contributing factor, to only having a max possible connection of 22/23 Meg. The attenuation is back to what it should be, and therefore the DSL should be reset to default inorder that BE gets his full whack back.

Cheers razpag.

Unfortunately I have no idea what effect the removal of the double jumpering had on my attenuation level(s).

I will have to wait for the broadband engineer's visit to discover that.
Wouldn't it have been really, really, really, really useful to have checked it immediately after yesterday's work?
If only all engineers carried a JDSU, or similar device.................

Paul.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »

If only ...........

2 small words.  ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

@ RP, Thanks very much.

@ Paul, What a brilliant idea it would be if the EU had access to the modem's stats !!!!!!!!! That might even reduce the number of expensive JDSU engineers' site visits, as well as being able to report that data directly back to PlusNet.

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »

@ RP, Thanks very much.

@ Paul, What a brilliant idea it would be if the EU had access to the modem's stats !!!!!!!!! That might even reduce the number of expensive JDSU engineers' site visits, as well as being able to report that data directly back to PlusNet.

Kind regards,
Walter

Hahaha Walter,

you just beat me to it.
I just logged back on to add that wild, crazy, obviously stupid idea :lol: :lol:

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »

Quick Update Gents:-

BT has arranged for an engineer to check my line already, but will not have to visit the premises at this stage.  The lead time for this task is 24 hours. 
Plusnet's Alex will check up on this tomorrow and if there are no further updates he'll go for a site visit engineer.

I notice we are on forum page 14 already.
Hopefully not many more to add now, apart from the one stating SUCCESS.

Paul

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:09:18 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

I notice we are on forum page 14 already.
Hopefully not many more to add now, apart from the one stating SUCCESS.

Paul

I think you are well on the way to a best seller here  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2011, 06:51:02 PM »

I think you are well on the way to a best seller here  ;D

As  long as it ends up with "and they all lived happily ever after" :)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44