Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 254688 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »

A Quick Grumble

Oi, baldy / Mr Eagle / Paul -- until the underlying intermittent problem with the POTS has been fixed by OR, there is absolutely no point in pursuing any broadband speed issue. :no:

Please, for your own sanity, ask PlusNet to arrange for an OR engineering visit to trace and fix the intermittent POTS problem, which is possibly a HR joint. TDR will be required to identify the location. ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »

@ Paul,

Given that we're in "needle in a haystack" mode it might just be worth asking the next visiting engineer to check that your pair have been totally isolated from the (probably) redundant overhead line protection unit.

Almost certainly the "Fuses" have been removed but sometimes the pair teed off the through line are left connected leaving a twisted pair wire "aerial" in circuit. Even though this is only a remote possibility of noise it's as well to remove every factor which might affect the line's reliability.

For those interested here's an article on the subject.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/surge/telesurge.html

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »

A Quick Grumble

Please, for your own sanity, ask PlusNet to arrange for an OR engineering visit to trace and fix the intermittent POTS problem, which is possibly a HR joint. TDR will be required to identify the location. ::)

Oi, burakkucat, you big Pussy :)

Plusnet have offered me that option.............at a cost of £144 + VAT each time the engineer does not track down the "intermittent fault".

This option could prove rather costly for me, unless, by chance the engineer found the fault on the first visit.
With these BT modems, there are no means to monitor line stats/quality etc. so, determining when the best time to organise a visit that "might" find a fault is more or less impossible.

Reaction times following disconnections is obviously also a problem, unless BT have an 'A' Team on standby.
I understand, & fully accept that BT must have much higher priorities than dealing with issues such as this.

Thanks (meant genuinely) for your concern regarding my sanity though. I suspect I am driving others a bit mad too.
If I'm not careful, this could push me over the edge.

I'm also in trouble from Mrs. Baldy Eagle for messing about with this when I should be carrying on with refurbishing the house. I only started it 8 years ago.

Now, if anyone with the right testing equipment & skills happens to stumble across this message & is within striking distance of Oldham & fancies a bit of the folding stuff being forced into their hands, by all means, send me a PM to arrange it ;)

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:58:55 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

bobpullen

• ISP Rep
    • Plusnet
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »

Finally, have you made direct contact with Bob Pullen of PlusNet?

Hi burakkucat,

I have tried to contact Bob via Plusnet's service.customer-feedback usenet group (subject F.A.O Bob Pullen - Ticket #44208926) a few days ago as many others appear to achieve success via this route.

Unfortunately I have not received any response from him yet.

Just seen said post today. Apologies for taking so long to pick it up, my workstack's been a little hectic of late! I have responded but if I'm honest the reply is nowhere near reasoned enough based on all of the information this particular thread contains!

BTW, I pay Plusnet for both my phone & broadband services since my switch to FTTC.
Prior to that, I paid BT for my telephone & Plusnet for my broadband.

I'm guilty of having only skim read the 7 pages that make up this thread, but is there or isn't there any noticeable degradation of your voice service? If there is then that's one avenue we're yet to explore from what I can gather?

I am more than willing to accept that FTTC is a reasonably new technology that is not fully understood at this time, even by those who deliver the service i.e. BT & ISPs between them, as long as they don't give up and/or hide behind inaccurate & very conservative speed estimates.

I recognise that you may well have been synchronising above your current rate at one point, but I can kind of accept the reasoning from some of our help-desk folk. Whilst admittedly it's conservative, you're still currently synchronising 9Mbps above the estimate returned by a BT Wholesale availability check, and that's a pretty significant amount.

If you do wish to go down the repeat engineer route, then by all means let me know and I'll see if I can get one of our seasoned faults bods on the case. I'll also do whatever I can to avoid you suffering the wrath of any Openreach appointing fees. As mentioned above though, if there's any defect with your voice service then I think that's the most favourable route to take.

Best regards,
Bob Pullen
Plusnet
Product Team
community.plus.net

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

Hello Bob -- Thank you for looking in on this thread.

Just to save some time, please have another look at point (2), post no. 6, on page one. Your customer, Mr Eagle, suffers from an intermittent voice fault which manifests itself as a crackly line. When tested at the most basic level, the POTS pair return as LTOK. Hence more advanced testing -- TDR -- will be necessary to locate the suspected HR joint. ;)

If you then go to page five and find the report of the last OR engineer's visit (the relevant posts are dated August 10th) all he did was to swap out the HG612 modem, no TDR, no tracing of the (suspected) HR joint, etc. :(

So that fault still persists in the copper pair and if it is on the D-side, it will also be having an effect on the VDSL2 signal -- thus degrading the broadband service. :doh:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:57 AM »

Just seen said post today. Apologies for taking so long to pick it up, my workstack's been a little hectic of late! I have responded but if I'm honest the reply is nowhere near reasoned enough based on all of the information this particular thread contains!

I'm guilty of having only skim read the 7 pages that make up this thread, but is there or isn't there any noticeable degradation of your voice service? If there is then that's one avenue we're yet to explore from what I can gather?

I recognise that you may well have been synchronising above your current rate at one point, but I can kind of accept the reasoning from some of our help-desk folk. Whilst admittedly it's conservative, you're still currently synchronising 9Mbps above the estimate returned by a BT Wholesale availability check, and that's a pretty significant amount.

If you do wish to go down the repeat engineer route, then by all means let me know and I'll see if I can get one of our seasoned faults bods on the case. I'll also do whatever I can to avoid you suffering the wrath of any Openreach appointing fees. As mentioned above though, if there's any defect with your voice service then I think that's the most favourable route to take.

Best regards,

@ bobpullen

Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding, both here & in p.s.customer-feedback
I'll try to summarise here for now, although you do also have the very long Plusnet ticket No. including screenshots & Plusnet reports to wade through when you get the time.

FTTC was installed 24th June. The engineer repositioned the master socket from upstairs, to downstairs next to my desk, using my own existing good quality "data" cable. After a couple of trips to the cabinet & back, the engineer told me I had a speed of around 35 Mb, which was about right for my distance from the FTTC cabinet. He also told me not to expect the full 40 Mb as it was just a bit too far away.

Right up to the first issue 4th July, everything was fantastic, with download speeds consistently around 32-33 Mb.

4th July, the first really warm day since FTTC was installed, & after a few hours use, the BT modem could not maintain a connection.
I had read about overheating modems & phoned Plusnet to report the matter.
While on hold, I installed a desk fan, pointed directly at the BT modem, although the modem only felt warm, not hot.
Following instructions from the Plusnet agent, we tried a few things, including plugging my ethernet cable directly into the modem & setting up a new connection.
Nothing we did made any difference, so I plugged the ethernet cable back into the router & the router cable back into the modem.
Just as we were about to conclude the phone call with the ticket being updated as a modem fault, the BT modem reconnected. After a few speed tests etc, everything looked stable again, so we left it, as I thought, that the modem would be replaced in due course.

A few days later, I noticed my download speeds had dropped by around 5 Mb. I was advised to wait for 10 days or so, & that if the connection appeared stable, I should regain the previous decent download speeds.

21st July, I enquired if the "defective" modem needed replacing as my IP Profile & download speeds had not improved.

22nd July, completely lost both broadband & telephone services.

26th July, 3 engineers took a few hours to locate the fault that was "somewhere on the external line" & restore broadband & telephone services, informing my wife who was at home at the time that "someone else" living nearby had also suffered a similar issue.
Download speeds had now dropped to around 16 Mb & upload speeds had dropped to around 0.6 Mb.

2nd August, download speeds had gradually dropped to around 8 Mb, with uploads still at around 0.67 Mb.

4th August, the BT Modem was replaced & BT reset my profile, but only to 24 mb, saying that was the maximum that my line could achieve due to the distance from the cabinet. The engineer queried this with BT as he could see my printed test results that clearly showed download speeds of 32-33 Mb.
Plusnet also informed me that my original estimated speeds were 14.6 Mb & that as my line was currently performing over an acceptable rate for the length of my line there was nothing they could do to push the matter.
My download speeds were then around 22 Mb, some 10-11 Mb less than when FTTC was installed.

5th August, the modem lost connection & would not reconnect, so I phoned Plusnet to report the matter. At that time the phone line was very crackly. While I was on hold, the modem reconnected & the phone went quiet again.
I asked the Plusnet agent to add this to my existing ticket to keep an ongoing record of the various issues I was experiencing.
I subsequently discovered he had actually created & closed another ticket (#45200538).
I registered with Kitz forums & started asking questions in this thread

8th August, Plusnet accept that my connection is still dropping on a regular basis & confirm that once it is stable again the low speed issues will be looked into again.
Following an telephone discussion, an engineer's appointment was arranged for 9th August to investigate intermittent line issues such as high resistance etc. that would require "special" tests

9th August, engineer did not arrive. I was informed that BT had carried out some basic remote tests & confirmed a visit was required, but had been unable to book it.
A visit was arranged for 10th August to carry out the "special" tests.

10th August, engineer arrived & after simply confirming my line speed was more that the 15 Mb that BT have to guarantee, replaced the 6 day old modem with a new one. The new modem (No. 3) is a version 2B, supposedly improved & tested.
The engineer showed no interest at all in the previous issues leading up to his visit.
The only comment he made was that I should have reported the crackly phone line. When I told him that I had reported it to Plusnet, he just said that nobody at BT had made him aware of it.
When asked if he would be carrying out the "special" tests (TDR etc.) to look for high resistance type faults, he said he wouldn't as he had been sent to just confirm the speed was more than 15 Mb & replace the modem.
He either refused to tell me, or just didn't know how to confirm my line length when I asked him.
He did also mention that he didn't really understand these matters anyway.
By this time, I was aware that BT were reporting my line FTTC length as 5283m & I suspected this was partly the reason for the very low originally estimated speed of 14.6 Mb.

11th August, I discussed the whole matter with a Plusnet agent who confirmed that if another engineer visit was requested, I may well be charged £144 + VAT if he could not locate a fault, intermittent or otherwise.
This agent also quoted my reported line length of 5283m, hence the low estimated speeds.

As I live only around 600m from the FTTC cabinet, this reported 5283m is completeley irrelevant.
Indeed, it has been proven that my line could maintain download speeds of 32-33Mb (until the "issues" started).
I have however been told that records of these achievable & reliable connection speeds were deleted when BT reset my profile to around 24 Mb. Is this really the case?

Since the issues started I have lost connection many times, I completely lost the broadband & phone services for a number of days & am now suffering via reduced connection & download speeds. You comment that I am currently achieving 9 Mb more than the estimated speeds which is a significant amount.
From my point of view, I am currently able to download at around 12 Mb LESS than my connection was originally achieving. This is an even more significant amount.
Nobody at Plusnet or BT is able to explain what the estimated speed was based upon, other than I have a reported long line.
(Please also see or discuss the dialogue I have recently had with Alex R in the Plusnet Community forum).
Incidentally, Alex was the first person to pick up the Plusnet ticket regarding this matter.

My connection currently appears stable & if this is to remain so, I may regain my lost speeds given time.

I cannot honestly claim that I currently have a degraded phone service to help speed this along.
However, I am not aware that any work has been carried out on it since I reported it 5th August, so maybe the fault report is still live?

However, the consensus of opinion from the knowledgeable & "hands on" experienced members of this forum is that I am suffering from an intermittent line fault, that combined with what appear to be high attenuation levels, would suggest a high resistance issue.

As this was discussed with, but not tested by the 2nd engineer who just replaced the modem, I do not feel that I should be now charged to have the tests carried out that I believed had been previously arranged.

We further believe that the original speed estimate of 14.6 Mb is not valid & should no longer be referred to, as from what we can gather, it has been based upon BT's inaccurate line length data, rather than the actual line length between the FTTC cabinet & my home.

Apart from the ongoing potential line/connection issues, it appears to me that there has been a breakdown of communication between Plusnet & BT, & an admitted lack of understanding of the whole FTTC technology.

My frustration is that it has taken a very long time (since 4th July), with little or no tangible progress with this matter.

I am confident that this matter will be resolved at some stage in the not too distant future, providing the "right" people, with the "right" knowledge & skills are dealing with it.

I would have much preferred to have been able to resolve this matter in a private manner, but had no choice but to request help & advice in a public forum.

You do have my contact details so perhaps you could give me a call to discuss a way forward with this.

Finally, to conclude, I would comment that I have been a loyal Plusnet customer, via Free-Online, F9, & Plusnet for many years & as your records would demonstrate, I do not make a habit of complaining.
I am not actually complaining now, rather I am merely stating fact & requesting some assistance in resolving an admittedly tricky problem, that is exacerbated simply by not being able to monitor my own connection statistics due to the lack of user access to the BT modem.

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:37:47 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »

Very well said Paul - even if it is at some length !
(Perhaps Kitz should publish the records for the shortest and longest posts on her excellent website !)

There are clearly longer term issues here. Surely we must try to improve the "customer experience" and reduce PlusNet's (and all ISP's) costs / fault repair process times. Playing these sorts of commercial-political games must be very harmful and exceedingly wasteful.

At a practical level, unless RP can suggest a better solution, it would appear that tests with recorded results should be conducted with the E side line temporarily disconnected ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »

Just a thought..........

Is anyone aware of a low cost "device", readily available to end users, that could be connected & left inline between the master socket & the BT modem, purely for the purpose of obtaining connection statistics such as Attenuation, SNR, Max Rate, Actual Rate, Line Length?

I have looked around the internet, but I will admit that I wasn't quite sure exactly what search words to use.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »

@Mr Eagle -- I have been thinking about exactly that situation but can not come up with an answer.

Of course, if £1600 is low enough on your scale, one could purchase a refurbished JDSU HST-3000 (plus the correct module) on eBay. However, that would not be something that could be placed in series, between the HG612 and the NTE5/A. :no:

If I was in that situation, I would be tempted to purchase my own VDSL modem/router and use it in place of the OR supplied device. Walter has started a thread concerning suitable devices . . . now where is it? Ah, here it is. ;)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »

Very well said Paul - even if it is at some length !
(Perhaps Kitz should publish the records for the shortest and longest posts on her excellent website !)

There are clearly longer term issues here. Surely we must try to improve the "customer experience" and reduce PlusNet's (and all ISP's) costs / fault repair process times. Playing these sorts of commercial-political games must be very harmful and exceedingly wasteful.

At a practical level, unless RP can suggest a better solution, it would appear that tests with recorded results should be conducted with the E side line temporarily disconnected ?

Kind regards,
Walter

I agree, extremely well put Paul (especially the parry regarding you achieving 9 Meg over the 15 Meg guarantee), and I believe it had to be as long as it is, in order to put factual evidence over stating what has been done and at what time.

Now then Walter, I have to say that's a good idea about testing with the E-side temporarily cut away in the PCP. That could then only give readings and stats regarding the DSL frequency. Great point.

The other question about some kind of in-line device for monitoring purposes ?? I wouldn't expect there to be such a thing other than the actual Hub/Router/Modem ??

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »

I agree, extremely well put Paul (especially the parry regarding you achieving 9 Meg over the 15 Meg guarantee), and I believe it had to be as long as it is, in order to put factual evidence over stating what has been done and at what time.

Now then Walter, I have to say that's a good idea about testing with the E-side temporarily cut away in the PCP. That could then only give readings and stats regarding the DSL frequency. Great point.

The other question about some kind of in-line device for monitoring purposes ?? I wouldn't expect there to be such a thing other than the actual Hub/Router/Modem ??

Cheers razpag,

I'm not trying to score points here. I just want my previous decent speeds back again.

The hardest part seems to be able to convince the service providers that my line really is "sometimes" actually capable of delivering, & that there may actually be a reportable fault with it currently.

Between them, it appears they both believe my line is actually very long & not able to deliver anything more than the estimated speed of 14.6 Mb. Additionally, if by some fluke I do ever achieve more than the estimated speeds, I should just consider it a temporary bonus.

I still can't work out whether the previous "defective" modems, or the potential intermittent line quality have caused the massive reduction in speeds, especially as there is currently no way to monitor either.

FTTC's DLM appears to be incredibly keen to reduce speeds in order to provide stable connections, but nowhere as keen to reinstate speeds following a spell of stable connection.

Touch wood, the current modem, Echolife HG612 version 2B, appears to be holding its own, or is it just that my line has settled down for a while? No doubt time will tell.

Even if it is possible to arrange another engineer's visit at no cost to me, I'm not too sure how to persuade him/her to carry out the "relevant & necessary" checks & tests e.g. temporarily cutting away the E side, especially when I recall that the latest Special Faults engineer actually told me he didn't really understand FTTC anyway.

In time, I'm sure we will gradually build up the same level of knowledge regarding FTTC that is available for ADSL, based in part upon real life experiences.
e.g. If I gave my ADSL attenuation & SNR values to anyone who has any interest at all, they could probably work out what sort of speeds I should expect, what the figures mean in terms of distance from the cabinet etc. within a few seconds, or at least be able to confirm a likely reportable "fault" with some certainty.

Nobody currently appears to be able to do that. Even my ISP admits it doesn't know how to work any of it out.

I very recently posed a couple of queries to them:-

Q.
I realise the 5283m is the distance from the exchange & not the cabinet, which is why I find it strange that it is still being reported by BT & Plusnet.
However, via FTTC, this is a meaningless distance to quote.

A.
At the moment we don't have a system to check this.

Q.
                              UP                    DOWN                 
Actual Rate             1996K                22648K
Max Rate                5212K                22662K
Capacity                   38%                  100%
SNR                      12.9 dB                 5.9 dB
Line Atten              52.9 dB               30.2 dB

As my Line Attenuation for downstream (30.2 dB), as reported by the last engineer's JDSU, appears quite high for the relevant FTTC distance, it would be really more helpful if FTTC distances were quoted in order for users to "have a feel" for their line conditions & expectations, possibly highlighting potential problem areas.

My line Attenuation for upstream also appears really high at 52.9dB, & in fact appears to be the complete opposite to ADSL attenuations.
Could this signify a problem area?

Is this normal for FTTC?

A.
Our line testers don't show any figures for Attenuation on FTTC or FTTP so it's hard to say what normal figures are.

If these queries had been in connection with ADSL, clear, concise, & quite accurate responses would have been immediately provided, along with relevant advice.

If the providers don't yet know the answers, as users are we supposed to just grin & bear it, just thinking it is what it is?

razpag, do you know if there is any way to obtain my original line/connection stats from when FTTC was first installed? i.e. do BT keep an installation record?
This would be really useful information that would at least allow me to compare them against my latest stats.

On a positive note for all, I really do intend to keep any of my future posts much shorter than the recent ones.
If the answers were already out there, I wouldn't have needed to ask so many questions.

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:47:42 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »

Of course, if £1600 is low enough on your scale, one could purchase a refurbished JDSU HST-3000 (plus the correct module) on eBay. However, that would not be something that could be placed in series, between the HG612 and the NTE5/A. :no:

If I was in that situation, I would be tempted to purchase my own VDSL modem/router and use it in place of the OR supplied device. Walter has started a thread concerning suitable devices . . . now where is it? Ah, here it is. ;)

@ b*cat,

In principle I would prefer not to have to pay for an "unofficial" modem, just because the BT modem cannot be monitored.
It would almost be like having to buy a different car just to get a petrol guage.

However, a slightly cheaper one than £1600 would at least give me some indication as to how my line is actually performing i.e. showing further deterioration, or hopefully gradual improvement.

The usual speed tests are O.K, but they actually prove nothing.

Of course, I would never be able to quote any results to prove an issue, as it would also prove that I had been using "unofficial" equipment & no doubt relinquish BT of their already questionable responsibilities.

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

Slightly off topic:

I have just noticed we are now on page 8.

Size isn't everything, but it's always nice to know you have a big one....................forum thread that is :lol:

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »

UPDATE 17-08-2011

WHAT A RESULT!!!!!!!!

Modem just disconnected.

I picked the phone up to check. IT WAS CRACKLING. Brilliant I thought!

As I was looking for the Plusnet phone No. my mobile phone rang.
It was Alex from Plusnet to say he had been doing some remote line tests etc. & that was probably the cause of the disconnection.

I put the mobile's microphone to the landline phone's earpiece for Alex to hear the crackling noise.
I'm not sure whether he heard it or not.

However, we had a really constructive chat & the result is that a BT engineer's visit is now arranged for monday morning to definitely look into the line issues by at the very least running TDR & HR tests.

Alex has also read this Kitz thread so he is fully aware of the issues & will be keeping a personal eye on progress.

Things really are looking up.

Hopefully, my next (long) post will be to confirm how everything is sorted.

I will also keep you posted with feedback (short messages) in the meantime.

Modem reconnected. Speeds down again, but I can live with this for now as I now know action is in hand.

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:03:59 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

alexrolls

• Just arrived
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »

I'll check in with you on Monday to discuss the outcome of the telephone engineer visit.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

anything