Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate  (Read 254565 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: FTTC - Distance from the Cabinet - Realistic speed estimate
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »

Try rattling a crisp packet or sweet wrapper!
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »

When the fault is cured it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the database to update your data again.

@ Walter,

At least one of us is still optimistic.

At the moment I am thinking:- if the fault is cured it will be interesting to see if the database ever gets updated

Paul.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

@ all of you,

I just want to say thanks to you all for your input into my issue, especially as I have only very recently registered on this forum.

I know it might send you to sleep, but I will keep you updated regarding any progress, or lack of!

You never know, my feedback might just come in handy for anyone else who experiences similar issues.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »

I would have thought "Sorry I can't hear you for the crackling!"

An excellent idea, SS:lol:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »

@ razpag,

Talking about attenuation, when I was on ADSL, the downstream attenuation, as reported by my Netgear DG834GT modem/router, was always 63.5 dB, athough the real value could well have been quite a bit higher than that.

Apparently 63.5 dB is the highest value that most ADSL modems bother to report, as with a higher attenuation than that, it is quite likely that you simply cannot achieve a brodband connection.

For a number of years I was on a fixed rate 0.5 Mbps connection as that was all that any ISP was prepared to offer me due to BT's reported line length from the exchange.

I can't recall the date now, but a few years ago, BT started providing ADSL broadband over longer distances.

I took the plunge & switched to ADSL Max, up to 8 Mbps.
It was fantastic, my download rates doubled overnight to a whopping 1 Mbps!

Due to the high attenuation & SNR? values (around 12-15), I did have to use DMT.EXE though, to artificially lower my SNR, but I was able to achieve a reasonably stable connection, actually achieving 1.25 Mbps downloads on occasions, with the SNR artificially forced down to about 9.0.

I had a bit of an issue ages ago (maybe 2 years ago), when Plusnet had to contact BT (my phone provider at that time) due to a loss of broadband service. BT did some stuff on the phone line & replaced my old master socket with an ADSL v 10 face plate & told me that I could dispose of the filters that I had been using on all my telephone equipment. Problem solved.

Thinking back, I did also have an issue quite a few months ago when my ADSL upload speeds dropped to 96 K or lower.
This was fairly quickly resolved after I contacted Plusnet. It may well have been another intermittent fault though.
Strangely, around that time was when I was able to achieve my highest download speeds ever of 1.25 Mbps.

I always assumed that my high attenuation & SNR via ADSL were due to the distance to the exchange (approx 3 miles by road + any extra for line detours).

I switched to FTTC for 3 reasons:-

1) estimated speeds were 14.6 Mbps (proper broadband speed compared with the 1 Mbps that I was achieving via ADSL)
2) the distance to the cabinet via FTTC would be much less than the distance right back to the exchange via ADSL.
3) the monthly cost would be roughly comparable (or even less) for 40 GB monthly download limit to what I was already paying (usually around £20 / month when including the extra cost for exceeding my monthly 2 GB limit).

I was obviously delighted to find that my FTTC download speeds were actually around 32-33 Mbps (for the first couple of weeks).

We can now eliminate a big chunk of the line length from the exchange, as the only copper part (broadband-wise) is from the cabinet now that I am on FTTC. 

You have given me a few pointers & clear explanations for what I need to say when I contact my ISP yet again.

I am a bit concerned though, that if no "faults" are found, I will be charged £160 for each & every engineer's visit that I insist on.
From what you say about HR faults not being picked up by "normal" testing, this could explain why I am being told that my line is actually O.K. when in reality it might not be.

For the relatively short distance from my home to the cabinet, the indications (to me at least) are that there is a definite fault somwhere in the copper. It may well be intermittent & it may well be showing a mis-representation of being a 'Long line' false reading, forcing a reduction in my FTTC download speeds.
Proving it, when having to rely on "others" who have no real interest in it is a different matter.

I have to "blame" Plusnet & BT for my current predicament, because if they had never given me 32-33 Mbps downloads between them, I would have happily accepted the 14 Mbps or so that I am currently achieving, but for an "up to 40 Mbps" service...............?

If I do manage to get an engineer's visit booked, I will ask for the reference No. just in case it can be pinned to someone who already has a little background knowledge of the ongoing issues.

Paul.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »

@ Paul,

I'm sure RPs suggestions to get the telephone line investigated is the best and probably the only way forward.

However when all that has been done it might be useful to remember that you said you achieved the high FTTC speeds using the furnace modem and that has now been changed for a new cooler-running one. This might suggest the new modem has been de-tuned in some way so can't achieve the same speeds.

There's a bit more discussion on this subject here:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9503.0.html

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 09:15:35 AM »

Cheers Walter,

I'll see if Mr. Pullen gets in touch during today.

I would rather discuss these issues with him rather than a call centre operative who may just repeat things from a script.

Problem is though, I have not had a single disconnection since a batch of them on Friday (just after I phoned Plusnet to complain about disconnections & a crackly phone line).

I am just hoping the agent did actually run the tests that he said he would (at the time of the disconnections) & that he just forgot to post the results to my very long ticket.

The way I see it is that I potentially have 2 issues:-

1) Intermittently dodgy line - possibly really difficult to prove.
2) BT reset my profile at maximum ADSL speeds instead of maximum FTTC speeds - possibly easier to resolve, as long as the right person, with the right access authority, speaks to the right person at BT who would understand.

Even if the line does prove to be dodgy (broadband-wise), is it still the case that BT only have to guarantee voice communications?

FYI, the old modem was firmware version sp10, & so is the new one.

Edit: The old modem never got red hot, I would describe it more as quite warm. It may just have been coincidence that an ongoing "intermittent" line fault cleared itself (just like it has done this weekend) at the same time as I installed a desk fan.

Paul.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:42:10 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »

Is your connection "Infinity" or "Broadband with fibre" ?

The latter is an up to 15Mb product.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »

@ Oranged

It is actually Plusnet's Value Fibre

Up to 40 Mb download / 2 Mb upload

I was achieving 32-33 Mb downloads.

Paul.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »

But it's either Infinity or Broadband with fibre as Plusnet (being "BT") don't have their own fibre network.

But I'm not sure if fibre resellers can buy in "Broadband with fibre" but if they can then it may explain the 14.6Mb connection.

"Broadband with fibre" isn't advertised, but I thought that it was only available if you phoned BT.

Might be worth asking Plusnet the question ?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:33 AM »

Hi
quote Due to the high attenuation & SNR? values (around 12-15),

The high SNR MARGIN value is NOT due to line length .

Normally you would have expected to connect with about 6db SNR margin . However if your line is seen as unstable then the DLM will increase the SNR margin (target SNR)  and or increase interleave to create a more stable connection.  The way this is determined is abit of a mystery,but it is based on hoe many disconnections and or how may errors  you have in 24hrs .There is more to it than that but that is the basic principle.
So the fact  you had SNR margin around 15db ,the maximum that is set as target suggest you have or had a noisy line .
Regards Jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »

@ JeffBB,

Can we assume that the standard (say 21CN) DLM logic is extended out to the remote FTTC DSLAM ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »

Great news Folks (well, for me anyway),

Plusnet phoned me today.

I had a really pleasant & informative chat with someone who "understands" my predicament & without my prompting confirmed an ongoing "fault".

We discussed intermittent HR faults (thanks razpag), potential mis-representation of line length, my history of disconnections, possibly incorrect profile banding when it was reset last Thursday etc.

Another engineer visit is now booked for Tuesday 9th.

It was also confirmed that if not resolved quickly, the whole matter will be escalated within both Plusnet's & BT's management levels until it is resolved.

Apparently it takes 2 engineer visits within a short timescale before issues such as this can be formally escalated. Tomorrow's visit will be the 2nd within 5 days, so the criteria for escalation will have then been met.

I do wonder though how many people would have just shrugged their shoulders & thrown the towel in.

Paul.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »

@ Paul,

Many congratulations - so far. It does look as if you've rattled sufficient cages to get things moving.

I think I can assure you Paul that those in this erudite forum might be described by almost any if not all of the following:-

persevering, persistent, determined, dogged, strong-willed, tireless, indefatigable, resolute, patient, unflagging, staunch, steadfast, untiring, unwavering, unswerving, unshakable, unyielding, insistent; stubborn, intransigent, etc. etc. etc.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 05:24:37 PM »

That pesky b*cat has a confession to make. As he also frequents the Thinkbroadband fora as well this one, in the early hours of this morning he sent a brief PM to Bob Pullen, of PlusNet, to ask if he would please review this thread when time permitted. ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44