Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 4028 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Hello Everyone
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »

Hi,

My name is Paul.

I have been reading & absorbing ADSL knowledge & really useful tips from Kitz.co.uk for a few years now.

I have recently had FTTC installed & will no doubt be asking a few questions once I have had a good read through all the posts on here.
It was originally brilliant, but following a few issues etc. I am now only achieving the glorious download speed of around 14 Mbps.

I recognise a few names from other forums I have read so far since the FTTC install, so it looks like I might have come to the right place.

It looks like one of the main questions still remains to be answered i.e. is there any way to obtain any stats from BT's Echolife HG612 modem?
It would appear not, at the moment.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:01:25 AM »

Hello and welcome to the Kitz fora, Paul. You'll find that all the regulars who gather here will try their best to assist anyone with a problem.

is there any way to obtain any stats from BT's Echolife HG612 modem?
It would appear not, at the moment.

You have correctly answered your own question. ;) There is a way but it is not for the faint-hearted because it involves a fairly convoluted method. If you are interested, the starting point would be reading through the forum thread (begun by a certain black cat) titled The OR Provided VDSL Modem and the subsequent posts made to that thread by asbokid. :)

As far simpler solution would be to invest in your own VDSL modem/router and substitute that for the EchoLife HG612. With that idea in mind, Walter has started a thread with the aim of establishing which devices would be a suitable replacement.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »

Thanks for your message burakkucat,

I registered on here tonight because the contributors appear to be very knowledgeable, some even being experienced engineers with a quite well known telecomms company.

I have read the posts you mention. They may be a little "in-depth", but I used to do a bit of soldering & programming eeproms for CB radios to get "extra" bands etc., but my eyes aren't what they used to be any more.

I do have some ongoing FTTC issues, with both BT & my ISP currently denying any responsibility.

I'll start another thread(s) when I get a bit of time to spare.

BTW, a "reliable" replacement for BT's Echolife HG612 is apparently being trialed as we speak (according to the BT engineer who has been trying to sort out some of my "problems") - no details or ETA yet though.

Paul.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »

Hello, Bald_Eagle1 and welcome to the Forum.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »

Welcome Bald_Eagle1 :)
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen