Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Three routers, 4 RJ45 cables, 1 test socket, and a 12db SNR NM dumped on my line  (Read 27450 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen

Hi
quote What effect would that have on my sync etc ?
It should not affect your Target SNR which is the main thing . As for your synch rate it will depend on when you resynch . I note your SNR margin goes down in the evening that's normal if its a gradual drop. . I would advise running RS if you can and note when you have the best SNR margin (not the lowest) . Try to time your resynch during that period .If you resynch about the time your SNR margin normally drops then you will have a lower synch Rate .
Regards Jeff
zen user

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Well, it's a week today and (touches wood), so far it's holding steady at 14103 kbps with a 6.2db SNR, which sometimes drops to about 3.1db at night.

That really looks good. A sync speed of 14103 kbs at 6.2 dB SNRM would even make a grumpy old black cat smile. :)  I would expect a throughput of 10 - 12 Mbps, when you run a speedtest.

I'm agreeing with what Jeff has suggested. If you run RouterStats for a few days you will get a good idea of the typical hours-of-darkness SNRM decay your line experiences, as well as its nightly minimum. Depending upon how the graph looks, you should aim to re-boot the modem/router when the line has ~6.0 dB SNRM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

Thanks everyone  :)

I'm usually quite good with OS, programs, and the like, but I can't seem to get Router Stats to do anything except give me an error. I use my router (Netgear DGN2200) log on, and paste the router stats page in, but it doesn't do anything.

Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen

Hi
quote use my router (Netgear DGN2200) log on, and paste the router stats page in
not sure what you mean ?
How far have you got with it . ?

Regards Jeff
zen user

2pods

Not far, as I'm getting an error when I start recording. I don't think I'm logged in properly.

I start the program, chose "User Defined", go to the page where RS asks for the address, paste "192.168.0.1" in, then in the other field paste "RST_statistics.htm", and press the black "play" button.
Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I came upon this thread waay too late unfortunately.

I was in your position, rats' nest of internal wiring. The way I fixed it was to call my phone service provider and ask them to book an engineer visit to carry out “change point of entry”. This got me a new drop cable to the other side of the house, nearest corner for the run, and the cable came straight into the house exactly where I wanted it, to a lovely shiny new NTE5a and as near as dammit zero length of house-internal wiring, no extensions and a free BT Pressac faceplate-type  (SSFP) microfilter that was in the van.

So all tidied up, lovely and neat. BT Openreach man did a smart job which I was very happy to pay for.

Strongly recommend this as the stock plan, the way-to-go, is just to remember the key four-word phrase, “change point of entry”, the bypass to get over all confusion and messing about. BT knows exactly what you need and it has a price tag on it. (Nothing to do with your ISP, unless you pay them the line rental too, it's whoever you pay POTS line rental too, whoever sends you a phone bill.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:24:39 AM by Weaver »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I wish all experiences were as positive, Weaver :(

The way BT Openreach conducted my master socket move was very poor indeed, with one engineer commenting "I'm not impressed with that...".

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

2pods

Weaver: Any chance of PM-ing me the price ?
It sounds a perfect solution  :)
Peter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

> Any chance of PM-ing me the price?

It was well over ten years ago, so prices will have gone up back then, but I was charged for one hour (iirc), the minimum, of Openreach goodness. Back then, it was £120 for the first hour, second hour would have been less, guessing £80, sooo long ago.

In fact, I probably had mine done when I was still on dialup.

Someone here will be able to tell you what the current Openreach charges are today.

I would thoroughly recommend it. I treated it as an upgrade to my property, because the benefits last forever, it's not just some annoying job that has been imposed on you by mysterious transient circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]