Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Three routers, 4 RJ45 cables, 1 test socket, and a 12db SNR NM dumped on my line  (Read 27449 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

See the orange and brown wires on terminal 3 of the front plate ??? Take them off mate. Job done. ;)
I'd certainly do that but there may be other problems.

How many cables (bundles of wire in an outer sheath) come into the master socket? 2 or 3 or ?
Can you describe each one EXACTLY please - how many cores, what colour codes, connected to what?

The reason is that you appear to have an inconsistent collection of old & new coloured wiring, but the photos don't show enough detail.
From what I can see it looks like:
Old wiring coming to the master BT connection (A + B)
Two separate extensions run from that, one with old wiring, one with new. Both with the bell wire connected on 3 which causes ADSL problems and is not needed for modern phones.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

@HP -- We know where the extension socket, fed by the "new-colours" cable is located. It's upstairs and a photograph of its connections was shown earlier in this thread (post no. 11).

As RP has advised, I'd remove both wires connected to IDC3 of the EU faceplate at the NTE5/A and then go upstairs to the extension socket & remove the o/w wire from IDC3 there. With the wires removed from IDC3, there is absolutely no need to refit the iPlate. ;)

Now that is a right "rat's nest" of wires from two cables but we can see that the incoming pair is via the "old-colours" cable. That cable has its brown and green coloured wires wound neatly around its outer sheath. So, logically, all the other wires originate from the newer cable. Looking back at the relevant photo in post no. 11, we can see the "new-colours" cable is actually a four-pair (8 wire) cable.

All in all, still a bit of a mystery. I wonder if there is a long-forgotten junction box somewhere in that run of "new-colours" cable . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

@HP -- We know where the extension socket, fed by the "new-colours" cable is located.
Well, we "think" we do. Who knows what goes on in between..... :lol:

BUT, look again at the master socket removable front faceplate. All of 2, 3 and 5 have 2 wires in, one "old" colour and one "new".  ???

2pods

Arrgh !

I'm too slow posting  :'(

Thanks everyone. Would BT do anything about it, do you think ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:03:26 PM by 2pods »
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

@HP -- We know where the extension socket, fed by the "new-colours" cable is located.
Well, we "think" we do. Who knows what goes on in between..... :lol:

BUT, look again at the master socket removable front faceplate. All of 2, 3 and 5 have 2 wires in, one "old" colour and one "new".  ???

Oops, absolutely true. :doh: b*cat goes to find a warm, sleepy spot and . . . hides!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Would BT do anything about it, do you think ?

Not these days, no. OpenReach will certainly do something, if requested, and will also charge you around £150 for coming to do it. :(

2pods

Say if I wanted to get back to just the master socket, and take any other stuff (extension etc) out of the equation, to start again with just my master socket.  How would I go about it ?

The ADSL Nation filters have arrived, so I'm ready  :lol:

I'm now on 11999 kbps with 8.3 db SNR, because I obviously had to switch the router off for my "experiments"  >:D.
I can still cause a drop by pushing the master socket slightly.
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Say if I wanted to get back to just the master socket, and take any other stuff (extension etc) out of the equation, to start again with just my master socket.  How would I go about it ?
If a BT engineer is attending they would probably do that for you in order to "regularise" it all, without extra charge - just ask.
It's pretty quick to do.  ;)

2pods

If a BT engineer is attending they would probably do that for you in order to "regularise" it all, without extra charge - just ask.
It's pretty quick to do. 

That would be good.
Except so far Zen don't want to get BT involved, as it's the house wiring that's at fault, and keep reminding me about the £150-£250 charge.
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

my upstairs connection wired into it by BT because I had an Home Hiway box up here.
That may be your get-out clause........  :-X

2pods

That may be your get-out clause........ 

It didn't seem to cut much ice with the Zen person I was dealing with.

In fact, I was told it would be very easy for him to report a fault, but it would solve nothing. I should get my wiring sorted out, and it wasn't anything to do with Zen's service. (which I knew then, and know now).

In fact, now I think of it, it was quite a bad experience, with me being talked over, and eventually asking the operative to please stop, or I would hang up. He kept right on, so I did. After phoning back later to the same Zen person, I ended up asking them to reset the line, so I could try knocking it off to eliminate all the stuff he had suggested.

Sorry for the moan, but that's what brought me to this thread anyway  :(
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

It didn't seem to cut much ice with the Zen person I was dealing with.
I wouldn't expect it to.

More an issue to raise with your phone provider as (via Openreach) they're responsible for the basic infrastructure.
Surely it's causing problems on your line.  ;)

2pods

Do you mean my phone line that I can report a fault on ?
I tried this but the the helpline person said they did a test which was OK.

Otherwise I would have to go through Zen, and as I said, they didn't seem to want to raise it with BT.

Sorry if I seem a bit thick  ???
Peter

2pods

Right, more discoveries.

There appears to be TWO extension cables coming out of the master socket, and of course, the BT "in" cable. One very old looking, and one newish one. Both are only connected to "2" and "5"

I've removed the orange and brown wires at terminal three at the MS, and similar at the upstairs extension, tidied them up, fitted the covers back, and installed two AN filters. I've also removed the iPlate.

AFAIK the only extension cable in use is the "new" one. So I could disconnect the older one ?

I'm now connected at 14103 kbps, but the SNR is dropping again. I'm now have 3.1db, from 4.6db when I first reconnected. Is there anything else I should be doing ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:03:24 PM by 2pods »
Peter

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Hi Peter,

1.  If you don't need an extension then certainly remove those wires.

2. On the newer extension I notice that you have the white / blue lead in terminal 5 which (I believe) by convention is usually put in terminal 2. However that should not matter unless your extension socket is a master one and then only if it has reversed wires.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything