Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Three routers, 4 RJ45 cables, 1 test socket, and a 12db SNR NM dumped on my line  (Read 27454 times)

2pods

Hi Walter

I don't know if the "Modern" extension socket upstairs is a master socket or not.
I was thinking the downstairs one was the master socket ?

The only photo I have of the upstairs one isn't very good.If I use a flash, everything gets bleached. If I don't, it tends to be a bit out of focus.

Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Just to show that I am not (1) asleep (2) ignoring this thread  ;D  I'll say that I am in total agreement with Walter's advice.

For those who decide to review this entire thread, they will see that HPsauce noticed, quite a few posts back, that there were two extension cables connected into the master socket . . . something that was staring b*cat in the face but which he completely miss-observed. :-[

Ideally, that jointed "mix and match" cable run all the way from the A- and B-wire terminals of the NTE5/A to the incoming service cable (either underground or overhead drop-wire) would be replaced with one contiguous length of CW1308 specification cable and the venerable GPO 700 series terminal block replaced by a BT80B-RF3.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

Thank you everyone  :)

Hopefully, I'll be phoning either Zen to arrange that visit that was mentioned, or somehow come up with a way to make Open Reach deal with me.

Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Right, more discoveries.
There appears to be TWO extension cables coming out of the master socket, and of course, the BT "in" cable.

Remember my question earlier in the thread?  :-X
How many cables (bundles of wire in an outer sheath) come into the master socket? 2 or 3 or ?
Can you describe each one EXACTLY please - how many cores, what colour codes, connected to what?

The reason is that you appear to have an inconsistent collection of old & new coloured wiring, but the photos don't show enough detail.
From what I can see it looks like:
Old wiring coming to the master BT connection (A + B)
Two separate extensions run from that, one with old wiring, one with new. Both with the bell wire connected on 3 which causes ADSL problems and is not needed for modern phones.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:03:23 PM by HPsauce »

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Hi again Peter,

Mea Culpa - I had totally misread the photograph, as pointed out by RP et al below,  so have deleted this section of my note.

You are not able to contact Openreach direct and must go via Zen. However I'd let things settle down after the changes are made so you can report accurately exactly the conditions that now pertain.

Kind regards,
Walter
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:57:54 AM by waltergmw »

razpag

• Reg Member

Walter, that 'other wire' is connected to terminal 5 mate and is definitely needed. The old 'slaves' were marked 1,2,3 down one side and 4,5,6 on the other.  The wiring in this socket is the latest modern wiring and not the old style Blue/Orange that you are thinking it is mate. The Orange in the picture is the bell-wire. :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I'm with RP - take out the orange wire in 3, and yes it's just a slave.

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Thanks RP,

It didn't look to me that it was connected but I now see it's probably just hidden and that the wires must all be new striped ones.

It would seem Peter you should remove the orange bell wire and cut the old wires downstairs.

Incidentally it's not a good idea to use a flash camera close to any electronics as it can easily put a pulse on the wires and give the modem a severe headache !
(I found that out the hard way !)

Kind regards,
Walter

2pods

Incidentally it's not a good idea to use a flash camera close to any electronics as it can easily put a pulse on the wires and give the modem a severe headache !
(I found that out the hard way !)

Well, that's something else I've learned  ;D

Both bell wires are out at the master socket, and the new extension. I just wish I knew where the other end of the old extension is. It disappears into the skirting at the top of the hall. I think I'll wait until Mrs 2pods is out before I start messing about with the carpets...and then I've got those sockets to clean !  :D

I'll give it a week to see how I get on this time, though with a 3.2db SNR, I'm expecting drops or resyncs.

Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I just wish I knew where the other end of the old extension is. It disappears into the skirting at the top of the hall. I think I'll wait until Mrs 2pods is out before I start messing about with the carpets...and then I've got those sockets to clean !  :D

I think you might guess what I'm about to type . . . Wait for SWMBO to depart on a vital mission that is not relevant to the male mind (shopping for handbags or shoes) and then disconnect the "old coloured" wiring from the EU face plate at the NTE5/A. ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

I'll be doing that, but I want to get under the carpet up at the landing too, and if possible the floorboards, to see where the "old" cable ends up  :police:
Peter

bluebeanbandit

• Just arrived

If you need an Openreach visit why not create an intermittent DIY fault.  For instance if you get an old telephone lead, plug it in to the nte and then cut the other end, strip back the insualtion and twist the bare metal wire together you will then have no dialtone and a short circuit.

Next contact your phoneline supplier and explain that you have ongoing issues with broadband and now you have no dialtone at the test socket with no extension wiring connected.  They will then test your line and instead of a line test ok result they will tell you there is a loop fault and they will pass the fault onto Openreach.  You can of course remove your DIY fault when you want to use your phone or broadband but they will do several tests of the next 24 hours so make sure it always tests faulty.

When the Openreach engineer arrives before answering the door remove the fault and hide all evidence.  As if by magic the fault has vanished but the Customer Service Engineer remembers the meaning of of their job title and wants to help and make sure the fault wont come back.  They should first carry out a Pair Quality Test between exchange and NTE5a, ask to see the results and make sure it is a PASS.  Next they should change the nte5a to an Openreach branded nte as the BT piper nte is now obsolete.  Last up they should carry out a line test which should be line test ok and they are free to leave.

If they are one of the better engineers they may well replace the cable from the point of entry up to the nte after you make them a cup of tea and explain all your broadband problems.  If you notice that the engineer has bawbag stamped on their forehead and are reluctant to carry out the basics highlighted above just mention that your cousins friend is a senior operations manager and they told you that an engineer should complete a pair quality test and change obsolete nte's to prove that all openreach plant is up to scratch. 

Just a thought....

also if your provider changes the SNR margin by +3db at their end this may increase your snr and stabalise the sync.       

2pods

:lol:

Thanks  ;D
Peter

bluebeanbandit

• Just arrived

I also meant to add that there is no risk of being charged for the visit as a fault has been logged, which the engineer can not find so he closes the job as fault not found (non-chargeable) instead of right when tested (chargeable)

2pods

Well, it's a week today and (touches wood), so far it's holding steady at 14103 kbps with a 6.2db SNR, which sometimes drops to about 3.1db at night. I don't know whether to give it another week before I switch the router off to remove the other cable, just to minimize the chances of my IP dropping ?

Actually, I could do with the electrics being off for a couple of hours to disconnect the power in my soon to be no more hut. What effect would that have on my sync etc ?

You would think by now that there would be some kind of "fiddling with stuff" mode that could be enaged, so BT would ignore any fluctuations on the line until it was disengaged.
Peter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5