Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Three routers, 4 RJ45 cables, 1 test socket, and a 12db SNR NM dumped on my line  (Read 27455 times)

razpag

• Reg Member

Please not B*Cat states 'Slightly damp' cloth when wiping dusty sockets down. The ammount of socket changes I've carried out because the EU's have decided to 'wash' the sockets, are uncountable. Same with wallpaper stripping using the steamer tool. Easy fixes for us, lots of cash paid out by the EU. Easily avoidable as well.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

b*cat (a perfectionist)
Indeed.  :D
Interestingly the next connector block along then continues with old "solid-color" wiring which does appear to be correct, using Blue and Orange.
This suggests that the "perpetrator" (lovely word) has maybe rerouted the incoming cable for some reason (damage, redecoration?) using a section of newer "striped" 4-core - incorrectly.

Edit: In fact that block looks like a variant of a BT80A which would normally be where the incoming cable is joined to the internal wiring, so I guess that incoming cable has been rerouted, but not "to GPO or BT standards"  >:D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:46:47 PM by HPsauce »

2pods

AFAIK this was the state of play when we moved in 14 years ago, and all that has changed is the master socket, router extension (converted from HH box), and the iPlate.

I'll get the required pics tonight, or tomorrow.

Again thanks for everyones' help  :)
Peter

2pods

Apologies for the lack of new photos. For some reason the line (I'll jinx it now !) has been solid for 2 days 20:51:01 at a sync 13267 kbps with a SNR of 5.8 db - 6.0 db on a 29.00db.

I'm wondering how to get to the back socket without unplugging the router and undoing the past two days good work ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:04:29 PM by 2pods »
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I'm wondering how to get to the back socket without unplugging the router and undoing the past two days good work ?

Perhaps it would be best to wait for an appropriate moment when the line has "misbehaved"? You can always come back to this thread at some time in the future and we can "pick up" from where we "left off" . . . :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

Oh, I forgot.
I was asked what else was connected at the master socket. That splitter in the pic has a alarm box which used to alert my phone if it was triggered, and the other side of the splitter goes to a "True Call" box (which AFAIK has a modem in it), then into the phone whose various handsets are cordless.

I'm still on a adsl11000 ip profile, so I assume if it doesn't go up in the next five days, there problem still needs to be sorted ?

Again thanks everyone.
Peter

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Hi 2pods,

Do make sure that EVERYTHING is connected appropriately via filters. If you have a filtered master socket then all should be well, but given your complex wiring it might be worth a quick check.

Kind regards,
Walter

2pods

I've got one filter on the splitter coming out of the mastersocket for the "True Call" and Alarm. There is nothing else plugged in except the router in the upstairs socket, which has a filter.

Should individual items be filtered ?
Peter

waltergmw

• Kitizen

Hi Peter,

It's not normally necessary to have individual filters except possibly for those with Sky boxes at one stage. They were prone to cause problems so many used to double-filter them using two filters in series.

Your upstairs filter with the black RJ11 modem lead just might be one of the poorer quality ones. I would swap it for a standard dongle box one as you have downstairs.

Kind regards,
Walter

2pods

Thanks Walter

Hopefully I'll be ordering two ADSL Nation filters later today.

Peter

2pods

Filters still haven't arrived, but after being connected for 8 days 21:48:58 Monday 15th Aug, 2011 @ 13267 kbps,  My SNR seems to have dropped at sometime today, to 3.5 db from a fairly steady 6.00-5.9db all week.

So I can probably expect disconnects later
Peter

2pods

As it was down anyway, I used it to my advantage to take further pics. There are unattached wires in there (though maybe they're just not needed), and I can invoke a line drop by pushing the socket slightly. Anyway here are the Master Socket photos.

If they're a bit blurry, it's because I had to turn the flash off, as it was bleaching everything out. Sorry.
As usual, thanks to everyone
Peter

razpag

• Reg Member

See the orange and brown wires on terminal 3 of the front plate ??? Take them off mate. Job done. ;)

2pods

What are they used for, and why are they attatched ?

Me being a BT wiring virgin  :-[
Peter

razpag

• Reg Member

They are a 'bell-shunt', used to make your phone ring in days of yore. They act like a large antennae to attract 'noise' as they imbalance the circuit. Just remove them.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5