Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VDSL Modems for FTTC services  (Read 30026 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL Modems for FTTC services
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

cheers a, very detailed rsponse  ;D

still doesn't stop it being frustrating though  ;)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

cheers for that asbo, however my language skills in Mandarin are non-existant :(
Me neither!

Cut-and-pasting into http://translate.google.com usually works fine for raw text, but when the Chinese 'logograms' (characters) are part of a graphic image, e.g. Chinese text on a JPEG button of the GUI or in a GIF web banner, translating it becomes very difficult!

According to wonkypedia, "functional literacy [of Mandarin Chinese] requires a knowledge of between three and four thousand characters" !

Sounds like a job for a Mahjongg expert!

oh well, if I go FTTC, I'll just have to rely on whatever TT dish out.........

Not sure about the router, but the VDSL2 modem will be an HG612 or an ECI B-Focus (as supplied by BT Openreach).

cheers, a

Well, according to my source, dialects differ quite widely in China, but written chinese is pretty much the same all over.  Having spoken with said source, I'm 95% certain I can get it translated into english.  Graphics on the pages might need to be re-done, but I know a guy who could do that for me too !!  Not sure if my skills extend to Jtagging it and getting the firmware off it, but I am meant to be an electronics engineer so I guess it shouldn't be too difficult once I've researched what I've gotta do !

Just need to get my hands on one now  :D  Its faintly possible I could get my translator to ship one over for me, but it depends on where she is currently.  I'll have to find out.  Failing that, I'll have to have a go at sourcing one myself which could be tricky, but at least I can contact someone who can read the original pages and regularly moves stuff between the UK and Singapore.  She's abroad at the moment but will most likely be back in the UK in a month or so.  I'll sound out the possibility of her bringing one back for me, failing that, I'll get her to help me source one over the net.

Might need to ask for some help with

JTAG, if Broadcom hasn't blown an internal fuse to prevent that, or else connect to the CFE bootloader shell via UART, and dump the contents from that:

http://www.wifizoo.net/viewthread.php?tid=43049&rpid=297866&ordertype=0&page=1#pid297866

With the NAND contents on the PC, extract the firmware components..
Unsquash the root file system (hope it hasn't been nobbled like the ECI)..
Translate all those web-page resources from Chinese into English.
Build a new file system image from the modified files
Combine the file system image with the original kernel image
Package it up in standard Broadcom f/w format for flashing back in again.

cheers, a

some of this.  If I can get hold of one, I'll start a new thread so's I can get some help.

Regards

BE
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »

Hmm . . .  :hmm:  Depending upon the cost involved, I think a few people here may be interested. Perhaps you could start your new thread by asking who might be interested in owning a DB120-B2+?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »

Well, according to my source, dialects differ quite widely in China, but written chinese is pretty much the same all over.  Having spoken with said source, I'm 95% certain I can get it translated into english.  Graphics on the pages might need to be re-done, but I know a guy who could do that for me too !!  Not sure if my skills extend to Jtagging it and getting the firmware off it, but I am meant to be an electronics engineer so I guess it shouldn't be too difficult once I've researched what I've gotta do !

For this job, the UART serial access is the best method. JTAG is used as little as possible because it's so slow. The bus speed is slow and its got a heavy overhead. It's very useful for transferring a bootloader (usually 64kBytes or less) - just so you can get enough code running on the device to support a serial port transfer or a minimal network stack, to allow for faster data transfer.

But for transfering an entire NAND flash image, JTAG can literally take hours.  I'm working on a JTAG tool to re-program the BT Business Hub and the best that can be squeezed out of the JTAG programmer is 12kBytes/sec.. The (2Wire) BT Business Hubs have a whopping 32MByte NAND flash IC which would take the best part of an hour to re-program by JTAG.

Just need to get my hands on one now  :D  Its faintly possible I could get my translator to ship one over for me, but it depends on where she is currently.  I'll have to find out.  Failing that, I'll have to have a go at sourcing one myself which could be tricky, but at least I can contact someone who can read the original pages and regularly moves stuff between the UK and Singapore.  She's abroad at the moment but will most likely be back in the UK in a month or so.  I'll sound out the possibility of her bringing one back for me, failing that, I'll get her to help me source one over the net.

There are a few secondhand DB120-B2+ VDSL2 modem-routers listed for sale at £13 (130 yuan) in mainland China.  Enough money to spend initially, perhaps.  The risk is that the flash file system (FFS) of the device is locked like the FFS of the Huawei and ECI have been... 

There are also Huawei HG622 for sale for £16+ (160 yuan). 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14799664113

These look nothing like the HG612, but have the same VDSL2 chipset, as well as 802.11n wi-fi and 4 ethernet ports, and they have a USB port with a kernel driver for a 3G dongle.

The user interface of this HG622 appears to be English, which would make things a lot easier.. The HG622 is the FTTC CPE used by Pakistan Telecom (PTCL) and in Spain by JazzTel.

From http://aacable.wordpress.com/?s=hg622

(that zero dB line attenuation bug is still there!)

Now that's bad, Baldy_Bird!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:49:30 AM by asbokid »

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

Just revisited this thread as part of some research....looks like that huwei or whatever modem/router would be well worth a bash, especially at that price :)

like the idea of FTTC, hate the idea of separate modem and router  :(
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

Finguz

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

Hi guys/gals, is there a UK or Hong Kong reseller for the Huawei HG622 or Dare DB120-B2+?

Thanks in advance.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 01:32:06 AM »

Hi guys/gals, is there a UK or Hong Kong reseller for the Huawei HG622 or Dare DB120-B2+?

If you check asbokid's blog, you will see that he has a number of those devices available. The first 15 were sold (in aid of a charity) quite quickly and, as far as I am aware, another batch will be listed 'real soon now'.

Why not send him a PM and enquire?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Finguz

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »

Thanks burakkucat I'll do that  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:08:30 PM by Finguz »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything