Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No plans to upgrade exchange  (Read 8397 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
No plans to upgrade exchange
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

I have just had this reply from my MP as regards the upgraded of my BT exchange

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

Further to my email below BT have now responded to my original request.

They have outlined to me that they have no current or future plans to upgrade the Attercliffe Exchange; however I have now asked them when this will be reviewed. If they do not come back with a satisfactory answer I will write to their Chief Executive asking for a full response.

I will of course update on the situation once BT have come back to me but please do not hesitate to come back to me in the meantime if you have any further questions.

Regards

Clive Betts MP

So it looks like we are fully dependant on the South Yorkshire Digital Region initiative as to whether we will ever be able to get faster speeds.
There are only 3 isps who are in the scheme and tbh I have never heard of any of them. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: No plans to upgrade exchange
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »

It's an uphill climb if you're not in one of their flagship areas. :(
  Eric

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »

What surprises me is that my local exchange has 5000 less residential premises, 1000 less business premises and the same LLU presence and yet it is already WBC and FTTC enabled.

The exchange is probably a similar distance from central Bristol as Attercliffe is from Sheffield.

One wonders how BT arrive at their strategic business decisions.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »

What surprises me is that my local exchange has 5000 less residential premises, 1000 less business premises and the same LLU presence and yet it is already WBC and FTTC enabled.

The exchange is probably a similar distance from central Bristol as Attercliffe is from Sheffield.

One wonders how BT arrive at their strategic business decisions.
I know what you mean as my exchange isn't small as it has aprox 15,000 connections and yet an exchange close to me has FTTC and only has aprox 13,000 connections !

I think it has something to do with 'backhaul' which I think relates to the costs that BT have to meet in order to upgrade the exchange to FTTC ?
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »

I think the Attercliffe exchange covers approximately 26000 premises

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »

I think the Attercliffe exchange covers approximately 26000 premises
Yes your right.

I would have thought that it would be an ideal candidate for FTTC !
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »

On the subject of FTTC, I have been using this link but as it's a PDF file, I don't know if it's updated or not ?
Mike

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »

No criticism of wonderment on decision making by large cos is meant. :)

However I would suggest that more factors than the obvious may be in any assessment.

My belief comes from a couple of years with a department that assessed branches' need of staff and equipment in the 70s.

" We have the same work as X branch" Answer: "So, you have all day to deal with it. They get it in thr afternoon."

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »

Gentlefolk,

You might find this of some interest:-

http://www.trefor.net/2011/07/27/latest-bt-adsl2-rollout-plans/

Note also that there is a "front-haul" infrastructure from the exchange (or other node) to each FTTC.
This picture is of a fibre-only joint pit where they are pulling an empty fibre tube bundle from a local distribution point back to a FTTC.

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/61459766?access_key=key-1c66bztw54wjk77tw2w4

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »

The Attercliffe exchange is in the middle of a lot of commercial properties,very near the Don Valley stadium and the English Institute of Sport,it is also quite close to the large Meadowhall Shopping centre.
Perhaps this is one reason why they won't upgrade as the places mentioned will already be able to get quite a decent BB speed.
Where as myself live virtually at the end of the exchange catchment area.

I know already mentioned is the bigger financial outlay to reach the areas further away from exchanges,but surely this is where the money should be spent to enable those who can not get/or get very little BB speeds to catch the rest of the country up  ???

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »

A WBC upgrade would only involve exchange equipment costs.

I can understand the reluctance to go fibre especially in a non-urban area but WBC would be a minimal cost in comparison.

Even though my exchange is FTTC, I can't get it and I'm only approx. 3Km line length from the exchange.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »

Even though my exchange is FTTC, I can't get it and I'm only approx. 3Km line length from the exchange.
I think that's because only some of the green cabinets are enabled and if your unlucky enough to be connected to a green cabinet that hasn't been upgraded to FTTC then your out of luck.
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

Latest response from my MP.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

Further to my email below I have now had a further response from BT where they indicate that the next review for further roll out of fibre optic services will be in be the autumn. However BT has not said whether the Attercliffe exchange will be included in this review.

I will now write to the Chief Executive of BT to ask that the Attercliffe exchange is included.

I will of course forward you on a copy of the response as soon as it is received but please do not hesitate to contact me in the mean time if you have any further questions or queries on this or any other issue.

What about exchanges that won't be upgraded that have LLU isp's in them,ie,O2/Be,Sky,TalkTalk etc.If BT won't upgrade the exchange does that mean that there is no chance of these companies being able to deliver fibre connections

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »

What about exchanges that won't be upgraded that have LLU isp's in them,ie,O2/Be,Sky,TalkTalk etc.If BT won't upgrade the exchange does that mean that there is no chance of these companies being able to deliver fibre connections.
That's a good question but I don't know the answer.

I suppose it would depend on whether they think that they will make a return on investment i.e. if it's viable.
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »

Here is an updated response from my MP as to if/when my local exchange will be upgraded for FTTC.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

Please accept my apologies for not coming back to you with an update.

At my meeting with BT I did press them very hard with regard to BT Infinity in Sheffield South East and the Attercliffe exchange but unfortunately they would not move on their original position and outlined that we will have to wait and see.

I am not sure what else I can do on this matter as BT won’t give any indication on their future plans. However I have been made aware that BT are looking to buy the Digital Region cabling that has been laid in Sheffield with European Commission (EC) funding that I have previously mentioned.

However this will not bring a speedy resolution to the problem as I can’t imagine that BT will want to cover (or repay) what the EC originally paid (with match funding from the UK Government in 2008) to install the cabling. If BT are not willing to cover the original costs it will lead to a long legal battle as even if the UK Government were to take a hit on its investment to sell the cabling to BT at a loss, the EC will look to recover its full costs as it was funded by the Taxpayer. Although I know that the media can sometimes give the EC a bad reputation for wasting taxpayers’ funds, they do in fact have very stringent processes in place to protect investments made with taxpayer’s money. If BT were to buy the cabling I am sure this would allow for BT infinity in the Attercliffe exchange but it still maybe a long way off.

Regards

Clive Betts MP

:(
Pages: [1] 2

anything