Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IP profile and the "3 day rule"  (Read 2375 times)

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
IP profile and the "3 day rule"
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »

I have noticed recently that the speed in which the exchange updates your profile seems to have changed from the 3 day "rule".
My experience seems to be that if you have a solid connection which drops for whatever reason and you connect at a lower synch long enough to warrant a profile drop, the lenghth of time for the exchange to update your profile back to the higher rate seems to be proportionate to the length of time you were synched at the lower rate, and/or how many times you forced a resynch but still got the lower rate.
For example, my connection dropped and I had a profile drop to go with it, but i managed to get a synch at my normal rate within a few hours and the profile was updated about 6 hours later. When i had drops where I havent resynched at my normal speed for a day or so, its taken between 2-3 days to update.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: IP profile and the "3 day rule"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »

BT changed the rules for updating the IP profile fairly recently. Upward changes in profile are now prioritised according to the magnitude of the speed change. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm for more info.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:34:45 AM »

Yep and although they officially changed the rules in Aug - I suspect that they started tinkering quite a while before that.  There were a few of us that noticed that some profiles were changing much quicker, prior to them announcing they were actually going to be doing so.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

interesting, thanks team :)
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56