Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: LJU2 connecting help?  (Read 16714 times)

steve7

LJU2 connecting help?
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

I have a telephone wire extension upstairs with no socket attached, i have now bought a LJU2 to connect but i have searched to see where the wires go with no joy,  I have a Black, Orange , Green and White wire but not sure which they push down into 1,2,3,4,5 or 6?

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: LJU2 connecting help?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »

Hmmm ?? Not your A-typical colour coding.

You will have to trace the wire back to where it originates from and see what colours are terminated on what terminals. TBH, you should only need two wires connecting on 2 and 5.

steve7

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »

Thanks i will have a look and see where they go?  I just thought they went to the Master Socket?

jamesc123

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

Thanks i will have a look and see where they go?  I just thought they went to the Master Socket?

Yep, but inside the front plate of the master socket if you have the newer type. If you unscrew that front plate, you can see where each colour goes :)

steve7

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

The Master Socket has A = Orange and B = White. Hope this helps?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »

How many wires in each terminal?
What sort of master is it, e.g. NTE5a or not?

(orange and white are typical incoming dropwire pair colours)

steve7

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:04 PM »

The Wires in the Master are Black, Green, which are not connected the Orange and White are connected as in photo i have attached. It's a NTE5 Socket.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »

This is getting a bit pedantic maybe, but:
1. What wires, if any are connected to the removable faceplate (not BT's backplate shown in the photo)
2. Have you traced that oddly-coloured cable, that you think is a phone extension, back from where you want the new extension socket to ...... (where?)

steve7

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:53 PM »

The Faceplate was not connected to any wires at all.  The oddly coloured cable is White it looks Grey in the pic.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »

It looks as though your system is wrongly wired up. If you have an NTE5 master socket, then all extensions should be wired from the back of the faceplate, not connected directly to the incoming A and B wires. What you appear to have is the remnant of some old star wiring, or just an incompetent electrician job.

This should really be tidied up before you do anything else. The incorrect extension should be disconnected from the back of the master socket. This isn't something you are supposed to do yourself, but I believe BT will charge for the work. I know what I would do, but I couldn't possibly recommend it here. :-X
  Eric

steve7

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

When i put a phone in the master socket it just bleeps all the time.  I will need to get someone then :( ok thanks for your help.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »

It looks as though your system is wrongly wired up.
Not necessarily.
The backplate looks to be wired correctly.

And we've seen no evidence of extension wiring anywhere near the master.  :-X

As I asked earlier:
Have you traced that oddly-coloured cable, that you think is a phone extension, back from where you want the new extension socket to ...... (where?)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:53 PM »

The backplate looks to be wired correctly.

And we've seen no evidence of extension wiring anywhere near the master.  :-X

Agreed. :)

When i put a phone in the master socket it just bleeps all the time.

That is peculiar. :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »

The brown cable Is a coloured version of drop wire 10 (the current black cable you get from the pole to the property) the coloured type comes in white,cream,brown,grey. Its designed to blend in more with the outside of a building where the apperence would be a sensitive issue with a black cable.
It has no cantineries (the 3 steel wires normaly in a drop wire for strength) as its ment for just the lead-in (the lenght of drop wire thats cleated up against the building, not the bit spanning from pole to building)
Dropwire 10 has 2 pairs of wires, it based on the old concentric style of colours, 1st pair is orange/white, last pair is green/black.

(dropwire14 otherwise known as cad55 has 4 pairs, so before the green/black the 2nd pair blue/brown, next pair red/slate. in underground concentric cabling each layer starts from the centre as first pair in the layer(orange/white) then altinates between blue/brown then red/slate finishing green/black then on to the next layer starting from orange/white)

Having a 2nd pair of wires attatched to the a/b connections on an nte5 measn either its a spur feeding an alarm unit (prevents your setting the alarm off when removing your face plate to work on you extentions, the alarm stays connected to the line, and it should go into a block terminal 92a which is a bt78 but the cover has "redcare" printed on it for easy identification for an alarm fitter to id where he conects his kit to.

Or that 2nd pair goes to an extention socket, it should be connected via the front plate, so is deamed as star wiring.

If you have a working extention socket with the same number as an nte with no sign of extention wiring comming off it, then you have star wiring. In other words the extention,s wires are connected somewhere before the nte. 

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »

The brown cable Is a coloured version of drop wire 10 (the current black cable you get from the pole to the property) the coloured type comes in white,cream,brown,grey. Its designed to blend in more with the outside of a building where the apperence would be a sensitive issue with a black cable.
It has no cantineries (the 3 steel wires normaly in a drop wire for strength) as its ment for just the lead-in (the lenght of drop wire thats cleated up against the building, not the bit spanning from pole to building)
Dropwire 10 has 2 pairs of wires, it based on the old concentric style of colours, 1st pair is orange/white, last pair is green/black.

(dropwire14 otherwise known as cad55 has 4 pairs, so before the green/black the 2nd pair blue/brown, next pair red/slate. in underground concentric cabling each layer starts from the centre as first pair in the layer(orange/white) then altinates between blue/brown then red/slate finishing green/black then on to the next layer starting from orange/white)

Having a 2nd pair of wires attatched to the a/b connections on an nte5 measn either its a spur feeding an alarm unit (prevents your setting the alarm off when removing your face plate to work on you extentions, the alarm stays connected to the line, and it should go into a block terminal 92a which is a bt78 but the cover has "redcare" printed on it for easy identification for an alarm fitter to id where he conects his kit to.

Or that 2nd pair goes to an extention socket, it should be connected via the front plate, so is deamed as star wiring.

If you have a working extention socket with the same number as an nte with no sign of extention wiring comming off it, then you have star wiring. In other words the extention,s wires are connected somewhere before the nte.

Correct Ezzer, but closer inspection of his photograph shows only one 'pair' connected.
Pages: [1] 2 3