Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: British Gas price hikes  (Read 47577 times)

exo

• Kitizen
Re: British Gas price hikes
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

Not unusual for politicians to insult our intelligence.

With Scottish Power, once you have switched to a newer/cheaper tariff, you are locked to it for 12 months or you receive financial penalties for changing again within that period.
These financial penalties will outweigh any small savings gain by switching.

Chris Huhne (MP) needs to get real. He has bought into climate change and carbon reduction and believes wind power is the answer to our problems.
This alone adds 10% to our energy bills and wind power will never supply more than 10% to 15% of our power needs.

A wind turbine is expensive to build and uses a lot of energy in its production, siting and access routes.
How long does a turbine have to produce energy just to break even to offset the power and carbon used in its production?

Should have invested in further nuclear power stations 15 years ago or further research into cleaning coal emissions.

Once VAT has been levied on a service or product, I don't think it can later be removed although the rate may be varied.

exo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »

Once VAT has been levied on a service or product, I don't think it can later be removed although the rate may be varied.

Well even reducing it to say 2% would be a start.

The energy companies set out to confuse consumers with their dozens of various tariffs..Go onto Uswitch and put Scottish Power into the checker,when asked for what plan you are on look at the drop down list.....well over 100 tariffs  :o

And as well as price increases,the energy companies keep replacing tariffs with more expensive ones,which is a crafty way of overcharging you another way

Wait till they post profits come next spring...you will see what kind of profits they are making

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »

Don't disagree with any of your comments UB.

Privatisation of the energy companies, from the consumers prospective, has not been the competitive market that was promised.
I think the same can be said for the railways and some local transport.

It is also worrying that foreign companies seem to be buying up our essential services.
I know we now have global markets and companies but it seems ironic that Kraft borrowed money from RBS to purchase Cadbury and the tax payer had to bail out RBS.
Kraft then closed down large parts of Cadbury in the UK in breach of their previous promises not to do so.
It is a mad immoral corporate world we live in.

exo

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:26 PM »

Switching suppliers is a waste of time as for the first time ever I left the big 6 and moved to co-operative energy and I have just been informed that they are putting up their gas by 18% and their electricity by 11% from 3rd November 2011.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16248631

However, small supplier Co-operative Energy announced on Monday that it will cut its gas and electricity charges for most customers by an average of 3% from February.
It's not all bad as a Co-operative customer !

Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »

Further info:

http://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/news-and-views/

The ethical gas and electricity provider, which has attracted more than 16,000 customers since its launch in May 2011, is to reduce its gas and electricity charges for most customers by on average 3% from 1 February 2012. That’s a saving of around £35 per year for the average household. This will make Co-operative Energy cheaper than all the Big 6 standard tariffs in all 14 regions.

The move is driven by the Co-operative’s pledge to provide customers with a fair and transparent deal and is a swift reaction to the recent fall in wholesale energy prices.
I'm glad I joined up after all  8)
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »

Further info:

http://www.cooperativeenergy.coop/news-and-views/

The ethical gas and electricity provider, which has attracted more than 16,000 customers since its launch in May 2011, is to reduce its gas and electricity charges for most customers by on average 3% from 1 February 2012. That’s a saving of around £35 per year for the average household. This will make Co-operative Energy cheaper than all the Big 6 standard tariffs in all 14 regions.

The move is driven by the Co-operative’s pledge to provide customers with a fair and transparent deal and is a swift reaction to the recent fall in wholesale energy prices.
I'm glad I joined up after all  8)

It does say standard tarrifs,but there are many more tarrifs that are still cheaper...Co-op is £115 dearer than my current EDF plan.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

It does say standard tarrifs,but there are many more tarrifs that are still cheaper...Co-op is £115 dearer than my current EDF plan.
Oh, it's not as clear cut as I thought then.
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »

Hi Mike  :)

I think more and more energy suppliers(due to outside pressure) are reducing the number of tariffs available.I think EDF have only around 3 or 4 available now,so when my present contract expires at the end of March I will have to assess what is available and if it means switching then so be it,there is no loyalty towards these sharks imo.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

anything