Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backup Backup - yeah I would if I could.  (Read 3477 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Backup Backup - yeah I would if I could.
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr... this is just a general rant.

A couple of weeks ago I found myself offline for a while due to the failure at the same time of 2 identical drives.

To cut a very long story short.. the backup drive must have overheated and parts of this drive are unrecoverable.  However, when the backup drive died it must have caused a windows crash where vital windows sys files (and some others) were lost and complete horror when the master fat table couldnt be read.

After days of work using ubunto recovery and help from someone who knew linux commands, I recovered my C+D drive... and 'some' of the data from the E: drive.  F: was completed knacked but that was ok cause F was a mirror of D.  My Norton Ghost backups on E: was some of the unrecoverable data as once the drive warmed up it just refused to read anything.

So... I know have a working system but no backup.

Not trusting another SATA drive in the caddy for the backup because they become too hot.. I have a new NAS storage (Lynksys ShareCenter) which I left over night performing a brand new  Ghost image and I thought all was fine.

Until a power cut this morning knocked off my PC and when it came back up it said I needed to perform a new backup.  Huh?  I thought all was well?  The image looked ok.

So the next 4 hours I start another backup... and very right at the end of it I get.
Error ED800012: The internal structure of the image file (CRC Check or Frame Header) is invalid, damaged or unsupported.

After just looking into this it seems my verion of Ghost doesnt support ghost imaging properly to NAS devices and this is a known issue.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Still no backup in place for my C Drive.
*Bangs head on desk*
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Backup Backup - yeah I would if I could.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »

You might like to think about Clonezilla. It's a Linux live CD which does the same job as Norton Ghost.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »

Thanks eric, I'll have a look at that properly later.. the only snag I see is "•Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »

I have two ReadyNas devices and each device has storage of around 5.5 terabyte, Then device (1) backs up everthing to device (2) (mirror).

They also have redundancy so if one disk was to fail it can be hot swaped and system restored, but if two drives failed at same time all data in that drive would be lost.  but then I have a full backup in the other drive so after fixing the two drives I can restore everything back again.

I am thinking of building a WHS to backup a third copy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:07:19 PM by BritBrat »

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

Another option although also Linux based is G4L (Ghost for Linux, I believe). A bit complicated to use but worked fine for me when I had to transfer my C: drive to a new bigger one.
Tony

anything