Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The 'Mark as read' tab ...  (Read 4607 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
The 'Mark as read' tab ...
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »

... has disappeared since the forum upgrade.

I assume this is common knowledge or is it only happening on my computer ?  :-\

Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The 'Mark as read' tab ...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »

As far as I can see, the 'Mark Unread' button is a toggle, and when a message is not yet read it reads 'Mark Read'.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »

As far as I can see, the 'Mark Unread' button is a toggle, and when a message is not yet read it reads 'Mark Read'.
Oh, I don't remember seeing it like this though ?

Having said this, my memory isn't as good as it once was !
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »

What browser?

The background in last 'button' in the row not appearing seems to be a common occurrence.. particularly in Firefox/chrome. If it happens it will always be the last button.  It seems to be related to a caching problem and does eventually clear upon a refresh.

It seems to happen each time I change the skin or edit the CSS so if its your first time here since the new skin that could also be part of it.

Ive already spent a while looking at the CSS (the button set is based on the SMF maintab CSS) and that part isnt anything Ive changed myself.  Ive not been able to sort out a fix... as the cache seems to pick up the old button style from the old forum because the 2 templates are similar... and cant find the image for the last button hence the blank.... and doesnt right itself until a hard refresh.

------------------
Edited to add.

I suspect it may be because both the old and the new forum have the same variable for the maintab and therefore if its cached it tries to display the button set from the old forum.  The last button in the row though does have a very slightly different image this time though to make it appear rounded and the 'old last button' is no longer there to display, so thats why you see the blank.

Hopefully once you have the new images + CSS cached rather than the old, this problem should disappear.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:12:44 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »

yep FF 5 and chrome were the 2 browsers that seemed to be caching the old CSS for me too.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »

Thanks kitz, it's no problem.

I can live with it even if it doesn't correct itself  ;D
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

Try doing Ctrl + F5 to do a hard refresh + force a new cache
-----

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 08:21:02 PM »

Try doing Ctrl + F5 to do a hard refresh + force a new cache
Thanks, that worked !

RESOLVED
Mike

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »

yay :)
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:49:10 AM »

Ive already spent a while looking at the CSS (the button set is based on the SMF maintab CSS) and that part isnt anything Ive changed myself.  Ive not been able to sort out a fix... as the cache seems to pick up the old button style from the old forum because the 2 templates are similar... and cant find the image for the last button hence the blank.... and doesnt right itself until a hard refresh.
Just in-case it matters, don't forget on the old layout you changed on the font page the button for "Show all post" to be in the centre of the page instead of on the right-hand side by the "mark all read" button.

I'm not asking for it to be changed again, just a polite reminder.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »

>> the font page the button for "Show all post" to be in the centre of the page

Yes... on the old forums I'd made quite a lot of personalised and custom hacks over the many years I was using SMF1.

Unfortunately what I didnt realise at the time is many custom hacks can stop SMF upgrades working properly.

For example if theres a security update to perform, SMF will check your existing template (theres lots of them) and if the code on your template doesnt exactly match the template which is going to be updated then the upgrade will fail and it has to be done manually. 

Early this year I found myself in the situation that practically when ever there was a security patch to be done I had to look through reams of code and edit everything by hand, sometimes this could take hours as even though Id made some notes... I couldnt properly remember what Id done years ago.

The huge amount of custom mods and hacks I had meant that I couldnt even carry out the normal upgrade from SMF1 to SMF2... and its why I had to scrap the whole forum and start afresh and something which took weeks to do and meant quite a lot of downtime when compared to an automated upgrade. :(

With this install, Im going to keep it at 'clean' as possible and only install mods that can be installed/uninstalled via the package manager.  (Custom skins are different to actually editing the templates).   I thought I was so clever doint all the edits I did on the old forum... little realising that I was storing up a pile of problems years down the line.  I learnt a harsh lesson that way and its not one I  intend to repeat  :D
-----