Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holiday  (Read 4561 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Holiday
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »

Gonna take a break from here for a wee while. I don't think I can hold back my frustration at certain older members who really should know better.

Roseway has decided to 'lock down' a thread on Amy Winehouse that I started, over something he and Uncle UB decided themselves were "Personal attacks" towards Scottiesmum. This declaration of "attacking" is completely unfounded and wholly distasteful. I never meant it like that towards Scottiesmum, and I'm sure she is wise enough to realise the humour in which it was intended.

Unfortunately, I do feel Roseways moderation is quite extreme, and rather robotic. There's also a little condescending tone at the end of the locked-down topic remarking how it's a shame to have to lock it down. You didn't have to Eric.

Of course, Roseway and Uncle are long-standing forum members and have made firm friends on here over the years. It's no surprise to see them (mistakenly) coming to the aid of a 'damsel in distress'. But, they were completely wrong on this.

In the words of Arnie ..... "I'll be back".

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Holiday
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »

RP, I sincerely hope it will only be a temporary break. I regard you as a "learned friend" who has increased my knowledge in a certain area over these last few months.

b*cat wishes to say that he can understand all sides of this "little upset". Perhaps it is also best to mention that he is a forum moderator elsewhere (using his given human name rather than his dark Japanese feline identity) but enjoys being an ordinary user here.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »

razpag  .....  you certainly have no need to take a "holiday"  as far as I'm concerned.  Alas, your remark didn't come over as humourous to me, although I consider myself to have a good sense of humour.    However,  it wasn't my intention to cause a problem for  any of the members, moderators or yourself, I was simply making the point that my opinion is as valid as  that of anyone else, and I personally would not dream of making, what I considered,  a disparaging remark on another's opinion.  I don't agree with a lot of them, but I respect the posters right to give them. 

I hope you continue to visit here but in the meantime    ........   bon voyage !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »

Razpag.

I really am so sorry you feel that way.  I think things just got a little heated and I dont blame either party.  I stand by my statement to continue the debate but please dont let this get personal.

The loss of lives over the weekend is sad enough without our valued members falling out and getting hurt.

As regards to your comments about eric, I will stand by my moderators, they do a grand job and these forums would hardly be what they are without their much valued time and effort that they put in.  I'd be totally lost without them, remember they are human too and I am sure that eric didnt mean to make it condescending.  I truely believe he just tried to stop something escalating into something further and was trying to keep the peace.
The Admin side of things seems to now take up sooooo much of my time that I cant do everything any more and I 100% trust eric to make sound decisions on behalf of the site.

I do so very much hope that you re-consider and are back with us soon.. your contributions will be missed.  I can understand all sides in this and dont want anyone falling out over it.  Each and everyone of you are valued.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »

Sorry you have decided to leave Razpag.

As far as I am concerned the matter has been forgotten.Life is too short to bear grudges.

Hope you will be back soon

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »

Kitz and B*Cat ...... thank you both very much for your postings. It is because of them, (especially Kitz's, in her role as site owner), that I've sat and thought about this particular situation. Other issues aside, I enjoy this site immensley. I have said so publicly, as well as on here, and also in a PM to Kitz a few months ago.

Of all the DG's/Forums around, this really is the most interesting and informative around. I was 'hooked' on DSL Zone for ages, (until it unfortunately fell into a state of dis-repair), and there was a very similar informative vein running through it.

The moderation on that particular board, and many others, wasn't/isn't as 'hard-liner' as how I feel it can sometimes be on here. Having said that, it obviously works well for this site as the proof is in the pudding. I can see that Eric keeps a tidy house on behalf of Kitz, and full credit where it's due, but making comments to me about "Personal attacks", and what I still see to be a condescending remark when he locked the other topic off, comes across to me as, 'Dont mess with my gang' type antics. I really do take issue with the phrasing, "Personal attacks", when all it was was a mis-construed attempt at humour. I hear what you're saying though Kitz, and would also hope it was a way of "keeping the peace".

Scottiesmum, I appreciate your feedback and if you felt my comments were "Disparaging", then you of course have an absolute right to question them within that particular thread. Hence my follow up response to you of, "Lame", which was a genuine attempt at sarcastic humour. I know they say it's the lowest form of wit, but wit nonetheless. If you interpreted it as malice, I urge you to read it again as if Jimmy Carr was writing it. I assure you, there was nothing but banter intended, which is why I have taken umbrage about the wording "Personal attacks".

Uncle UB ..... cheers mate. You remind me of an old mate in my local who I regularly cross swords with, whenever something is being debated over a pint. An hour after the clash thoughts, all returns to normal and life cracks on. You sum it up well Unc.

Well, thats my 'State of the nation' address, and apologies for boring the pants off of you, just needed to put my side forward. There's a lot of immensley clever people on this site, do any of you have a time-machine that will take me back a couple of days ??  ;) ;D

All through typing this, I've been wondering what your 'Human name' is B*Cat ?? I always picture you as a big cat with a Samurai sword in your hand. Seriously, you're human ??? ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:32 PM »

Welcome back razpag, have a cup of tea then unpack the bags. Hope you had a good rest on the hols. Na then. From one straight talking person to another, when ever humour is meant in a post I found it is always best to assume that other people may not realise that it is humour. I have myself fallen into the trap of writing some humourus comment, which I understood, and found that other people mistook what I meant. What I am trying to say is use these little things  :) ;) :D and such. Even them can be read differently to what you (one ), not you personally, means.

I wish I could find the proper dictionary for this Opera browser. I'm always putting English words in it to replace the American stuff.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »

All through typing this, I've been wondering what your 'Human name' is B*Cat ?? I always picture you as a big cat with a Samurai sword in your hand. Seriously, you're human  ??? ;D

Ah, now that would be telling but, as this is just between the two of us, if you look in my profile you would see that I have provided the URL to a site of which I am a co-founder. Scrutiny of that site should reveal my human name . . . To save you some time, think about an acronym for "a local area network". ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

WB razpag.

Sod the cup of tea - lets all go down the pub... the virtual drinks are on me :D
Wine for me and SM.. what do the rest of you want?   :drunk:

>> I was 'hooked' on DSL Zone for ages.

Funny enough if you look at the member list, I was one of the very first on there, even though Id set up this site first. I was also a member of one of James earlier forums before that, which is where I was doing all the broadband Q's.   This was waaaaay before adsl24 and such.. lmao I think I even referred James his first adsl isp before the days of caps and throttles.. gawd must be going back many years. :D

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »

All through typing this, I've been wondering what your 'Human name' is B*Cat ?? I always picture you as a big cat with a Samurai sword in your hand. Seriously, you're human  ??? ;D

Ah, now that would be telling but, as this is just between the two of us, if you look in my profile you would see that I have provided the URL to a site of which I am a co-founder. Scrutiny of that site should reveal my human name . . . To save you some time, think about an acronym for "a local area network". ;)

I bit... and followed the trail..

>>  an acronym for "a local area network".

very clever  ;D 
-----

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »

Normal service resumed methinks !!!  ;D ;D Feels good.

Wouldya believe it ?? You're talking of a celebratory drink Kitz, and no sooner had I posted my comments, than our neighbours showed up with a bottle of red. Over an hour later and we've finished 2 bottles between 4 of us, and booked to see 'Scrooge' at The Lowri centre' on Xmas Eve this year ............. starring Tommy Steele !! Yeah, I know ... I'm also surprised he's still doing the rounds. Good on him. ;D

I get your drift there Silver Surfer ..... and TBH I would usually employ emoticons to drive home the true intent of the written word. In fact, I think I did ?? I seem to remember putting up a 'smiley' after my one-word comment ?? Never mind, time to move on mate. ;D

B*Cat ..... Lanny Henry ??  :-X

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »

D'oh! :doh:  I suppose, however, that I will still be required to open a thread in the Introductions forum when I eventually get "a round tuit"?

b*cat is willing to provide a round, for everyone gathered here . . .  :drink: :congrats: :drunk:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »

OMG... hahaha... I nearly spit my drink over the screen
-----

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:12:44 PM »

I was 'hooked' on DSL Zone for ages, (until it unfortunately fell into a state of dis-repair)
Same here.

I used to be a regular as well (as you know) but I don't remember seeing your name on the members list.

Mind you I haven't been on DSL Zone for around 18 months so I may have forgotten as my memory isn't the best  ;D

Welcome back anyway  :)
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »

WB razpag.

Sod the cup of tea - lets all go down the pub... the virtual drinks are on me  :D
Wine for me and SM.. what do the rest of you want?    :drunk:

:silly:

Beer,beer,we want more beer  :drink:

Everybody's cheering Kitz has got the beer  :D
Pages: [1] 2