Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Extension socket  (Read 23177 times)

jamesc123

NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Extension socket
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »

Hi,

I am considering buying an NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Cat5e cable.

Just to confirm I have this correct: I would hard-wire, from the back of the faceplate connections, A&B for ADSL (using orange pair?) and 2&5 for phone (blue pair), to a hardwired extension socket, that has obviously ADSL and BT slots, to the relevant connections on the back of the extension socket? And this would mean I could plug the RJ11 from the router and a telephone straight into the extension socket and all's good?

But I can only find extension sockets that have ADSL and phone, that are also filtered ones. Seeing as the line is filtered at the master socket, surely the extension could simply be a plain unfiltered one, that takes the phone pair and the ADSL pair?

Many thanks! Hope this all made sense!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: NTE5 ADSL Faceplate and Extension socket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

I don't see the point.  :-X
What are you trying to achieve and what other sockets and phone-connected equipment do you have?

jamesc123

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:34:37 PM »

oh sorry I didn't say. basically at the moment I only have the master socket working because of a faulty faceplate and the old unconnected wiring in place is very very old. so I wanted to do a modernization

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »

Hi James C,

I would try very hard to wire the modem directly off the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate (or the BT equivalent). If necessary buy a long screened RJ11 cable also from ADSL Nation. You are then free to wire telephone sockets as you wish. Note also that many use DECT cordless phones, separated from the modem and cables, to avoid the need for wired extension phones.

Kind regards,
Walter

jamesc123

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »

hi walter,

So I would get a really short rj11-rj11 cable, plug in the router there at the master socket. Then wire a cat5e cable from near that area to upstairs where computer is, and termiate both ends with neat wall sockets? and connect router-socket and pc-other socket  with really short patch ethernet cables?

cheers

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »

Yes, that's much better.  ;D

Though don't worry about ethernet cable lengths, anything up to 100m of Cat5e gives NO degradation as it's well within spec.  :graduate:

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »

Hi
Are you planning to connect after the old master socket ? or are you actually going to replace the old master socket ?.If the latter then be aware that BT will NOT be happy to say the least!.

quote from Kitz You are NOT allowed to replace any old style master sockets with an NTE5 socket yourself, and this should only be performed by a BT Openreach engineer. Failure to obey these rules may result in prosecution and/or a fine by BT.

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm#ixzz1T3u0QDR3

Regards Jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:11:51 AM »

Hi James,

Just to clarify, I was suggesting buying one of these which you can quite legally fit as you are only replacing the customer's side of the NTE5.

http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=105

You could use a short RJ11 cable or alternatively if you can route the cable around walls and skirting boards you could still get a longer say 10 m one.
The shorter one is obviously a simpler solution. Ethernet cable is quite easy to fit into RJ45 ethernet wall sockets which would also allow you to pass the cable through holes in walls. If you use this method I would fit at least dual sockets with two cables in case you need a spare at some stage. Although more expensive you can get quite neat 4 gang faceplates here:-

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/info_008_001_011_01.html

Note that you will also need an insertion tool such as the CableMonkey one here:-

IDC Punchdown Tool
Ref: 00A-007-003-00

Kind regards,
Walter

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

If you're using the adsl face plate on the nte then any extention wiring terminated on the back of the plate will not have broadband on it, any extention wiring to feed a router would need to be fed from the dsl output on the front of the plate.
The ones carried by Openreach engineers are know as data extention kits. come in 5,10,30m cable lengths, one end had the plug to fit in the dsl output on the front of the face plate, the other end terminates in a "data socket" which is an extention socket with the same dsl style socket on the front as opposed to a normal telephony style plug.
Cat5 style cables have more twists in the pairs of wires so making it a little less venerable to picking up nearby data noise. At bt we were tld this should be cleated in, never to use staples, the reason being if the staple is tight, it compresses down on the cable so causing little interference pick-up points along the cable (apart from giving a bad pin cushion finish to the cable) As i could adjust my stapler to gently fire the staples to just touch the outer insulation it was ok. I alweays prefered staples as it looks so much neater than cleats.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »

If you're using the adsl face plate on the nte then any extention wiring terminated on the back of the plate will not have broadband on it,
That's not correct.
Most faceplates available have both filtered and unfiltered outputs ON THE BACK.  8)
(I have seen one model that didn't but not recently)

In fact for the ADSLnation model above the description states:
"IDC Terminals on the rear allow connection of hardwired telephone extensions, both filtered and unfiltered terminals are provided"

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »

@ Hp,

I think Ezzer is talking about the BT SSFP type of faceplate and I'm reasonably sure that doesn't have the split IDC connectors like the ADSL Nation one does.

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »

Even those, the more recent ones anyway, now have both I believe.
(and the ADSLnation one was specifically referred to  ;) )

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »

@ HP,

As I believe Ezzer has joined us (I.e. me), we must be kind to all wrinklies and especially to those who know a vast amount of the GPO & BT history !

Kind regards,
Walter

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »

I havnt seen another type of face plate with 2 idc outputs on the back so far. I've been out of the loop for about a year so I'll be missing out on many new developments. So I'll bow to HP's info there.  :graduate:

I was typing that based on the ssfp as fitted by bt. I think part of the logic of the data extention kit pluggin into the dsl output on the front plate is that it gives aquick way to change the router location to the nte if needed. Bearing in mind some times the data kit wiring might pick up some performance affecting interference as well. I would always fit cable loose with the socket at the required spot to make sure it was working ok. It would be really annoying to spend all that time and work fitting it only to find you still need to got back to the nte in the end anyway.

The down side of the kit is you end up with the cable plugged in the front rather than being neater wired in via the back of the face plate

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »

They've been around for quite a while like that, several years I'd say in the case of ADSLnation.
(is the model name a clue? XTE-2005  ;) )

The BT ones are, I think, made by Clarity (or Pressac?) and (some of?) theirs were updated a while back, at least some of the ones you can buy as a consumer.
Obviously I don't know what models BT themselves buy, or whether both types are widely available.

The ones I've seen labelled as ADSL v1.0 have only had filtered IDC connectors on the back. But I've also seen that shape (with the curved top) with both outlets on the back. In fact I had one installed in my home until fairly recently but it's gone to a friend and I now have an ADSLnation model.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything