Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT HOME HUB Received traffic level  (Read 7157 times)

davidbaigent

• Just arrived
BT HOME HUB Received traffic level
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:40:45 PM »

Hi people.

I have hooked up a buffalo file server onto my bt home hub by direct ethernet cable. I do a lot of work on large files that are stored on the server and accessed by my desktop which is also connected to the home hub by cable.

I've got a broadband traffic monitor on my pc and since installing this server a couple of weeks ago my GB utilisation is going through the roof.

Does this mean that in transferring files from server through the hub and onto my pc they are being routed out and back in via the internet?

I asked bt but they suggested that I invested in the next broadband option that allowed more traffic.

I do not understand what's going on because my work pattern has not changed but my GB usage is 4 times higher.

Help please before I get cut off! :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT HOME HUB Received traffic level
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 06:58:31 AM »

Hi, and welcome.

Your files aren't going to the file server via the internet. You're just using the LAN connectivity of the router for that. But are you sure that your traffic monitor is actually measuring internet traffic, and not simply all traffic going through its connection to the router? I've no experience of BT as an ISP, but if they have a customer portal, perhaps that will show you what traffic they are measuring.
  Eric

davidbaigent

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:07:29 AM »

Thanks for your quick response, Eric. I think that this must be the case. Problem with Vista is that I've lost all the broadband help and diagnostics, but have managed to get a readout from them of RX GB's and it is about half what my monitor shown. So I think you are right and it's monitoring "LAN" traffic.

David

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »

Hi David

As Eric says you files arent going onto the net then back into your network, it should be just local traffic.

The network meter you have on your pc sounds like its measuring all traffic, both internally to/from your file server and the internet.  if you log onto the homehub, click on advanced, enter user and password, then click Status, ADSL Line and it should tell you how much INTERNET traffic has come and gone.

Trust BT to try and sell you another package without even investigating the issue.

Paul

davidbaigent

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »

Thank you all for your help, I am most grateful

Best regards

David