Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: O2 Contract renewed  (Read 8890 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
O2 Contract renewed
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »

I have just renewed my O2 contract for another 12months.

I was paying £9.50 (this is the old unlimited package),not the £8.50 a month 20GB allowance and traffic managed package.Was told I could have the £8.50 package for £5.50 a month or my existing unlimited package for £7 a month...I have decided to stay on the latter as even though I don't do much downloading I don't want to be traffic managed especially as I only use the internet between roughly 7am to 7pm.

I have been very happy with O2 in the 2 years I have been with them,so I am happy to pay £7 a month.Their UK based support is one of the best I have come across. :)

happy37

• Reg Member
Re: O2 Contract renewed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

UnkyUB

Thanks for the post.

I also renewed my O2 Broadband contract for another 12 months last week, as, like you, I am more than happy with the unlimited O2 package that I am still on. This is the "O2 Home Broadband Standard" package. I have been paying £6.95 each month, and I am happy to say that this has been continued in my my new contract.  :)  ;)  :D

I was also paying £9.50 like yourself, but I have also received a £2.55 monthly retention discount to remain on the old, legacy Standard package.

Here's an extract from the email which I received from O2 last week:-

Hello ****

Thank you for choosing to stay with O2 Home Broadband on O2 Home Broadband Standard.

Your contract has been extended to 12/07/2012 and your loyalty reward of Standard Retention Resign Discount £2.55 will now be applied. We will let you know when this comes to an end.

Best regards,

Felix Geyr
Head of O2 Home and Broadband

All in all, am a really happy bunny with their service as it just works and the phone support is excellent as they've always been very helpful ands courteous every time I've dealt with them.

Regards

happy37

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:52:05 AM by happy37 »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »

Hi Happy  :)

I was quoted £7,but received exactly the same email as yourself,so I am guessing it will be £6.95,not £7..that is even better (spoken by a thrifty Yorkshireman)  ;D

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:25:46 PM »

As a Lancastrian, I feel duty bound to parry ......... mine's free as part of the 'Employee Broadband Package'. Sorry Unc ...  ;D :P ;D

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »

I was quoted £7,but received exactly the same email as yourself,so I am guessing it will be £6.95,not £7..that is even better (spoken by a thrifty Yorkshireman)  ;D

Hi Unky

Morning - yes, £6.95 is indeed better than £7.......a few more pennies saved, eh?

What are your speeds on the O2 Standard package, and how far are you from your exchange?

Regards

happy37

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »

I live a long way from my exchange and do well to get around 2.5mb,saying that when I was with BT I was only getting 1.5/1.75mb

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »

I live a long way from my exchange and do well to get around 2.5mb,saying that when I was with BT I was only getting 1.5/1.75mb

That's really good, Unky, especially with O2 - bet you are more than "happy" with your 2.5mb speeds.

If you don't mind, could I see your line stats for comparison to mine, please?

Thanks.

happy37

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »

There you go Happy.  :)

Link Information

Uptime:   25 days, 18:15:03
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   841 / 3,828
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   853 / 2,596
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   40.5 / 66.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 10.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   22 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   648 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   28,020 / 2,150,389
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   28,020 / 17,641
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   71,852 / 13,254

Just done router reboot as I can usually squeeze a bit more out of my line, and this was my latest speed test

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:16:19 AM by UncleUB »

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »

Hi UnkyUB - here's my stats:-

Link Information
Uptime: 5 days, 9:34:25
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,044 / 4,127
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,026 / 3,103
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.5 / 58.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2,605 / 1,003,575
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,605 / 1,742
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,986 / 1,338

Speed test result (speedtest.net)

Regards

happy37

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 07:48:58 AM »

Looking at your line attenuation you are nearer to the exchange than me,if I had that attenuation I reckon I could squeeze close to 4mb out of my line.
I don't have any internal wiring and have my router plugged directly into the BT master socket all the time.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »

Looking at your line attenuation you are nearer to the exchange than me,if I had that attenuation I reckon I could squeeze close to 4mb out of my line.
I don't have any internal wiring and have my router plugged directly into the BT master socket all the time.

Hi again UnkyUB

Thanks for your post.

My router is also plugged into a filtered faceplate and this is the first socket in my house.

I have queried my line speeds with O2 today, and they have said that my line supports 3mb, so I suppose if I get 3mb or just over, this will be fine?

What do you reckon? - can I do any better to either play with the "DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A" and use Telnet to change this to "DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A" which is just ADSL2 to try and get a faster sync speed on my line?

The O2 guy also said that my line will not go any faster if I use ADSL2+ or plain, old ADSL2 - your comments/thoughts?

This is a brand new router as I have only had this one since last week as O2 sent out a new one to me. The previous one was playing up, so they changed it for a new one.

Any other thoughts will also be most welcome.  :)

Regards

happy37

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:45:40 AM by happy37 »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »

If you put your attenuation in here,you will see that the speeds you are getting are just about right

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

For some reason I get better speeds than my attenuation indicates and as such have never tempted fate and messed about with my router.Even messing about and changing things I thing tbh you will see little difference in what speeds you get.
Even squeezing an extra .25/.50mb out of your line will make little difference to how fast you can open web pages etc.

Of course these are only my thoughts and others might say different  :)

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »

If you put your attenuation in here,you will see that the speeds you are getting are just about right

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

For some reason I get better speeds than my attenuation indicates and as such have never tempted fate and messed about with my router.Even messing about and changing things I thing tbh you will see little difference in what speeds you get.
Even squeezing an extra .25/.50mb out of your line will make little difference to how fast you can open web pages etc.

Of course these are only my thoughts and others might say different  :)

Thanks UnkyUB

You're lucky to get better speeds with your attenuation. I am only asking this as I have had speeds of around 3.7 to 3.9 megs in the past with my previous O2 routers. I have been told in the past that my line supports 3mb, as well as 4mb? I realise that this is only a conservative estimate, and that the line will sync at the fastest speed as available at the time of connection to the exchange. This is because there are no BRAS profiles on LLU.

Methinks that I will leave things as they are for now to see how things go from here onwards - thanks again for your valued and helpful input - much appreciated.

As per before, your thoughts will be most welcome.

Regards

happy37    :)   

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »

Hi
There is some useful info in this post relating to performance issuesand how to optimise a connection. Unfortuanetly it may be lost ,under the heading of the post .Can one of the Admin perhaps split the post ? with a suitable Title ? Thanks
Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:39:13 PM »

I'll see what I can do Jeff.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2