Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: unable to install drivers after replacing HDD  (Read 3695 times)

dpd

unable to install drivers after replacing HDD
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »

hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

my brothers HDD died on his laptop (packard bell easy note) so we replaced the hdd and reinstalled windows vista 32bit. after we installed windows the device manager was showing that it was missing drivers for both the ethernet card and the wireless card so we had no access to the internet at all.

i have located the ethernet drivers for him but when we run the setup we keep getting a message saying that windows is unable to locate the network card. we have tried multiple times to run setup but still we get the same message.

can anyone help or offer any advice.

regards david

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: unable to install drivers after replacing HDD
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »

A wild thought - if you've got the wrong ethernet drivers then that might account for why Windows can't find the network card - it's looking for a different card to that which is installed. Where did you get the drivers from? Hopefully off a disk that came with the laptop or from Packard-Bell's website - ftp://ftp.download.packardbell.com/NOTEBOOK/ (kitz forum software automatically scrumbles this link - only likes http -  the good ftp link is what you see as text).

If you can see it via Device Manager I assume that it has a yellow question mark against it, then Windows is seeing it but isn't finding the driver. I would take a look in the BIOS at startup and see if that gives any info about network cards.

It seems that the you loaded drivers for the wireless card OK.

You could also try running a Linux distribution off a Live CD - I'd recommend Puppy Linux - and see if that finds, and uses, the network card OK. if it does, then at least it's a Windows problem rather than a hardware problem.

after we installed windows the device manager was showing that it was missing drivers for both the ethernet card and the wireless card so we had no access to the internet at all.

Did you use Packard-Bell's restoration procedure? I would have expected that to load all necessary drivers? Or did you just do an ordinary install of Vista off a Microsoft Vista DVD?
Cheers,
Peter
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:56:45 AM by geep »

dpd

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

yes i used packard bell site for drivers,,,,the laptop had hitachi hard drive in orrignally but now has toshiba should i be looking for tosbiba drivers or would this not matter

dpd

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »

is thier any easy way to find out the make and model of network card so i can locate correct driver

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »

is thier any easy way to find out the make and model of network card so i can locate correct driver

Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adaptors

dpd

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

i need to find out exacatly wich network adapter is in my machine the above statement wont work

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »

i need to find out exacatly wich network adapter is in my machine the above statement wont work

If you follow the directions given and click on the listing "Network Adapter " what ever is installed on your system will be listed.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »

Hi
quote :i need to find out exacatly wich network adapter is in my machine the above statement wont work

what does not work ,can you not get the listing og Network adapters  or is the adapter not shown.
windows 7 I use
Control panel, Hardware and sound ,Devices and printers :
Then  select device manager tab
Then on drop down menu
double click on Network adapters

Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:29:41 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »

OK, this is NOT necessarily a simple problem.
Windows will NOT install drivers if it can't identify the hardware correctly; more common that you might think.  ;)

First, try Windows Update, you might be lucky. But NOT if the "manufacturer" hasn't supplied them to Microsoft and they've passed testing.

After that you're pretty much on your own, and just looking at data inside Windows won't tell you much.
You will need to identify by any means possible (e.g. labels/markings on the hardware and googling/searching) EXACTLY what it is.
Then go to the manufacturers web site and find the drivers, download and install them.
Often this is confused by generic/OEM hardware where the original designer MAY have drivers but more likely someone further down the chain (e.g. computer "maker") produces modified drivers.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »

I think I agree with HPsauce - go to the manufacturer's website. Liker I said earlier, the Packard-Bell website lists many models of Easynote. Just need to look underneath the laptop and read the model number off the label. This ought to be sufficient information to find which drivers package to download.
Cheers,
Peter

anything