Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SLOW Tiscali Broadband  (Read 12645 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SLOW Tiscali Broadband
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:30 PM »

>> Your line is WAY too long to support 2Mbps

Im afraid he's 100% correct - there is no way on earth that a 70db line with your stats can support a 2Mb connection.

>> The only thing that may get you faster speeds is if they put you back on the BT Wholesale IPStream 500 RADSL product rather than their LLU, which would mean your SNR margin would be much lower but it might bring you up enough to sync at 512 again.

Agreed.
Tiscali llu has several different profiles, but isnt the default Target SNR set higher than on Max?

PS just checked and I notice that tiscali LLU has some fixed rate profiles

2M_256_9db_Fast_fixed  2296 256   Fixed      Fast     
1M_Fast_Fixed  1146 256   Fixed      Fast     
512K_Fast_Fixed  574 256   Fixed      Fast
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »

If he's agreed to move the line rental to Tiscali I think we can safely assume he's not coming off LLU?

Oh yeah, duh, of course, that bit didn't register with me - which it normally would!... I blame feeling ill and it being late (well I was starting to fall asleep anyway!)
Chris

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »

dont suppose u've got a cough, cold and temperature?
Paul

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »

Oh yeah, duh, of course, that bit didn't register with me - which it normally would!... I blame feeling ill and it being late (well I was starting to fall asleep anyway!)

No worries. I go into cynical git mode as soon as I hear "Tiscali said..." so I'd notice it where others might not. The really bizarre thing about Tiscali is that its just the UK side of it that's dreadful - then again people in the UK do tend to pile into the cheapest looking deal which drives prices and quality down I guess.

No offence intended to Panomania - it's not something your average punter knows (or should need to frankly). Tiscali UK are not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Hopefully we're getting towards the end of the "land grab" (AKA buy your rivals out) stage of UK broadband. Credit costs should preclude too many more acquisitions although who knows with Virgin Media (oh and Zen - I still think they'll be bought this year). At that point perhaps the remaining ISPs can start competing on quality, rather than driving down costs. I won't be putting any bets on that though :(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »

dont suppose u've got a cough, cold and temperature?

That would be the one :(
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »

Rizla, I don't think the "land grab" is totally finished yet.. sure it's got to slow down at some point, but there's still a few indy ISPs left out there... not too many, but one or two..

And yes, funny you should say Zen, I was just thinking about that the other day. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. Probably because they charge a bit more than their competitors, and they have the Zen Partner programme, and (I believe) more business accounts than most other ISPs, etc, which are also buying them time.

Whilst I'd love to share your enthusiasm for quality rather than price-based competition... I can't see it happening for a while yet. Mass-market wholesale ADSL2+ should be a great time to start making prices a bit more realistic, but there will always be at least one (or a handful of) smart alec ISP (probably an Enta reseller or something!) who thinks they can make a quick buck by signing loads of people up on an unsustainable deal and then getting out before the brown stuff hits the fan.

Chris

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »

Now you wouldn't be referring to the inappropriately named "Ace Internet" would you? :D The only thing that reassures me about Enta is that Boggits is still there.

Re Zen - once they gave up on any more LLU rollout then that was it as far as I'm concerned. You can't make sensible money on IPStream alone and Zen's webhosting is none too reliable these days (so I'm told). I suspect that Mr Tang thinks that if he's the "last indie standing" he'll get a better price. I don't agree but he's a far more talented businessman than me so who knows. They do have a couple of potential "issues" for buyers though - like their transatlantic pipe. Anyway all you have to do is look at the adslguide Zen forum - its full of people saying "sorry Zen, you've been great but....."

Thread hijack over :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »

>> it's not something your average punter knows (or should need to frankly)

Exactly, and whilst he's having problems its unfair to be fobbed off.  Whilst you and I know that there are certain ISPs that do have a reputation of doing this, all we can do really is support him and try and help whilst he's going through this.

The ideal solution would be to get him off LLU and back on a fixed rate IPStream connection, I suspected that they would try something to retain the LLU connection, but must admit I didnt think theyd try taking the phone line too though. :/

One of their fixed rate profiles may work to help stabilise the line - but for sure it wont be the 2Mb one.

If it were my line I'd want out, because reliablity and speed of my connection is important.
But youre right in that the average user shouldnt need to know what goes on behind the scenes and why some ISPs are cheaper than others, all they probably want is a half decent connection at a decent price... which does lead on to the land grab OT conversation :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 08:26:35 PM »

IMHO reliability is everything. No point in 2Mbps if it falls over and resyncs every time a cat passes the house :P

The cold hard facts are that Tiscali are going to continue to take the proverbial until the man knows what "buttons" to press - eg GC22 is a good phrase, as is "unfair contract terms", so is "small claims track" ;)

To Panomania - I have never been "held to term" by any company. There is always a way out of contracts if you are a consumer but PLEASE don't go moving your line rental to them. Really it will limit your options HUGELY as a "return to donor"* is not seamless by any means and if Tiscali have your line then you're only going to be able to get Tiscali.

*this is when you move the line rental back to BT

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 02:49:18 PM »

I must speak to panomania and see if he ever got the problem resolved.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »

Panomania is on exercise up in the arctic circle at the mo, so don't expect to her from him for a few weeks... he hasn't forgotten about this thread. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 11:28:19 PM »

ty for the update floydy
-----

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
Re: SLOW Tiscali Broadbandg
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »

Hi All time for an update.  And most of all HOT off the press  :lol:

Well where do i start lol.  I said to u first of all that i was moving my phone line over to tiscali.  This has only just happend the order first of all was put through wrong.  After being giving dates by customer support saying it was going to be be ready by a date then it wasn't i was just about to give up.  I was sent off to the artic circle with the RAF and it all got put on hold.  After getting back STILL NOT UPGRADED.  In fury i rang up Tiscali customer support in the UK as i wasn't getting anywhere with the call center in TIMBUCKTOO!!!!!!!!!!

Thats when i found out the order was put through wrong.  Why are the regular customer support outside of the UK not got this information who know.  But i was assured that by the 10th of jan all the work would be compleated.

I was over at my Dads at xmas (FLOYDOID) and he said about getting a router.  so i got the speedtouch 580 from dsldepot.  When i got it all set up and running my speed got back up to 512 b4 the upgrade happend but with the modem i only getting 256 on a VERY GOOD DAY.  Maybe someone could explain to me?

No the upgraded is compleat i'm getting evening and weekend calls and up to 2mb broadband  and now getting connected @ 896kbps which is alot better than the 64k i was connecting most days b4 i got the router.  and i'm only paying 14.99 a month and nothing to bt so making a saving too.

Well i thought you would like the update

thats all for now

Panomania

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 06:55:41 PM »

Thanks for reporting back. It's good to see that you've got an improvement. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »

Thanks for the update panomania - I trust that the UK is a tad warmer than the artic circle :D

>> my speed got back up to 512 b4 the upgrade happend but with the modem i only getting 256 on a VERY GOOD DAY.  Maybe someone could explain to me?

Thats good news :)

The information that some routers perform better than others on long lines has been up on my site for a few years now.. way before Maxdsl came in. Its the result of different hardware/chipsets and firmware. There's huge discussions going on atm about certain router chipsets.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]