Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SLOW Tiscali Broadband  (Read 12644 times)

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
SLOW Tiscali Broadband
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:22:59 PM »

Hi I have a 512k max package with tiscali.  Being in the back of beyond and being rite at the end of the exchange i was tol that i may only have have up to a 512k connection (fair enough i thought!!! better than having to go on dial up) and took this out over 18months ago i was getting around the 512k mark up untill the this week and i am now connecting at around 139.00kpbs i contacted tiscali and they did a line check and said this was the maxiumum i was able to get on my line.  Now is this BT capping the line or tiscali just being poor!!!!  Oh i must mentition that that sometimes i connect around 98.00kbps!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what they are doing is fair?  and is there any other inexpensive way to get a fast connection (ie cheap satalite broadband)

On contacting tiscali they said to check for spyware and virues on the computer just to make sure nothing was slowing it down my end and all is good on the computer.

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved

Panomania

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: SLOW Tiscali Broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »

Hiyas

Can you provide us with your line stats please -
These will give us quite a lot of information about your line,  so that we can advise further. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »

Not too sure what u need so here is a couple of screenies

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »

Thanks for providing those.

>> attenuation 70dB

Thats one of the highest attenuation figures Ive seen recorded - you really are on the end of a very long line :(

>> Margin 10dB

You have a little bit of room for manouver there - but it depends on what your target SNR is.

>> Receive Rate 96 Kbps
>> I have a 512k max package

Umm actually Im not sure what product you are on - because according to all the blurb Ive read the lowest max sync speed stated by BT is supposedly 160 kbps, and youre 2 units below that.

If you are on one of the radsl product then I would have perhaps expected it to borrow some of your upstream.

>> over 18months ago i was getting around the 512k mark up untill the this week and i am now connecting at around 139.00kpbs

Hmmm... I'm wondering - have you recently had any notification that Tiscali are making any "upgrades" at your exchange?  Theres something I cant quite point my finger at for sure, but because your line doesnt seem to be showing typical BT like behaviour with the figures.. I'm wondering if youve been LLUd - which could well be why your sync has dropped from a fairly stable 512k to something that doesnt fit in the scope of what BT says.

Put your details in the adsl line checker and look on the righthand side - does it say anything about Tiscali being at your exchange?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 09:19:14 PM »

Line Check Results         Date: 21:16 - 09 Oct 07
For Telephone No: 0149183****
Postcode: OX10 6DG
 Phone & Postcode search OK 

BT Exchange Information 
Exchange: Wallingford. BT Code: THWL
 ADSL enabled : May 31, 2002
 dsl Max enabled:  March 31, 2006
 SDSL enabled : Not Enabled
 21CN due : Q4 2010
Distance:- Direct:    3.92 km
    (appx)* By Road: 7.56 km

BT Line Speed Estimation  Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers 

Fixed ADSL:  512 kbps (0.5 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   250 kbps (0.3 Mb) 

Important: The above figures are an estimate based on information obtained from the BTw database.
DSLmax speeds are best guess based on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.

You may also be interested in Max dsl speed calculator
   AOL Available 
  Be* Not available 
  C&W/Bulldog Not available 
  Edge Telecom Not available 
  Homechoice Not available 
  Lumison Not available 
  NewNet Not available 
  Node4 Not available 
  Orange Not available 
  Pipex Not available 
  Smallworld Not available 
  Sky/Easynet Not available 
  TalkTalk Available 17.07.07
  Tiscali Available 25.07.07
  WB Internet Not available 
  Zen Not available 

Cable     
  Virgin Media Not available 
  Smallworld Media Not available 

Wireless     
  LTT Broadband Not available 
  Now Wireless Not available 

RAG Test Results 

Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
 radsl:  Line has over 75dB loss, ADSL unlikely, but will be tested by an engineer on-site
 MAX:  ADSL Max is available
 SDSL:  Exchange Not Enabled
 TPON:  TPON/Fibre not recorded
 Check:  The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adsl 1 linecode : RAEC
  dslmax linecode: REAEGEC
  sdsl linecode: 1111RRRRZZZZNNNN

Explanation of RAG codes. 

*Distance calculations are provided as a guide only, using information from google maps.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:25 PM »

>> Tiscali Available 25.07.07

I think weve just found out what your problem is - Tiscali "upgraded" ie installed LLU kit in your exchange a couple of months ago..  and they have probably very recently moved your line over to the LLU service.

There are some lines that work well on rate adaptive services - but there are some that dont - particulary the longer lines.

This bit here
Fixed ADSL:  512 kbps (0.5 Mb) 
 DSL Max :   250 kbps (0.3 Mb) 

shows that BT doesnt think your line will perform well on rate adaption and you would be better with a fixed 512 kb connection - which is the max that your line will support.  My own ISP and a few others wont put such long lines on a rate adaptive service for the reasons that you are now seeing.

>> On contacting tiscali they said to check for spyware and virues on the computer just to make sure nothing was slowing it down my end and all is good on the computer.

Rubbish Im afraid - those checks will not make any difference to the speed you are syncing to the exchange at..  There are some things you can try and do and thats following the tips on my lowSNR page.

>> Now is this BT capping the line or tiscali just being poor

Looks like this is nothing to do with the BT side of things now - since its looking more and more like you have been LLU'd and its tiscali's kit that has control over your line.

If you can do this Tiscali LLU test then you know for sure what is causing your problems.

Let me know what the test says please.

(Sorry for so many questions - but Im wanting to make sure of my facts before giving advice.)
-----

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »

ok i have just done that and now i am at 65.4kbps  now they really are taking the biscuit!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »

Ok the fact that you can log in to that test shows that youve been Tiscali LLU'd.

This is why I couldnt quite tie up the profile speeds and it also explains why recently your speeds have fallen.

You need to contact Tiscali again telling them that the reason why your speeds have suddenly taken a dive is nothing to do with spy/malware etc because they have absolutely no effect on what you sync (connect) to the exchange dslam at.  This isnt anything youve done.

Im praying that you get to speak to someone with half a clue how adsl works because you need to advise them that you have performed tests which show that youre now connected with their LLU service and not BT, and that your speeds have only taken a dive since your transfer to the LLU service.
You need to attempt to explain that you are on a very long (60dB) line and such lines dont always perform well on a rate adaptive service.

You have 2 options here...  Tiscali have got you by the short and curlies now youre on LLU.

1) You can attempt to insist that Tiscali transfer you back to a BT IPStream fixed line 512k service which worked well for the past 18 months. 
- This could be tricky because it isnt something they are likely to want to do since they will have to pay BT £40+VAT to do so.. and it will cost them more each month... therefore they are likely to try delay tactics.

2) You can migrate to an ISP that will provide you with a fixed rate IPStream stream service.  This can be tricky since there are only a few ISPs that can deal with inbound from LLU migrations and it may involve a short period of downtime.  Off the top of my head I think the list of ISPs that can do this is limited to Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, MAAF and Enta.
-----

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »

Hi kitz thanks for all your help.

I contacted tiscali like you said.  And to cut a long story short.  I am taking my line rental over to tiscali for £5 more so saving me £6 from bt and they are upgradiing my broadband to 2mb with expected speeds at around 512kbps.

So for £14.99 a month i am getting my BB back to the original speed and my line rental and free calls at weekends

Richard 1 - Tiscali 0 BT -1 customer

Another victoy to the customer lol

Thanks

Richard

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »

I think not old lad. I rather think that Tiscali have been "economical with the truth" again.

Your line is WAY too long to support 2Mbps. LLU or aliens from space won't fix that. To put this in perspective - when BT rolled out 512kbps ADSL originally you would have been refused service. Now some lines manage way more than the attenaution figures suggest but I don't think yours is one of those.

I suggest you rethink - there must be a cooling-off period if you are moving the voice component (line rental) to Tiscali. Really.

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »

well i have been reassured by tiscali so lets see how the switch over goes and then ill let you know!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »

I already know what you're going to be saying. Not trying to appear arrogant but Tiscali have led you up the garden path old lad. They do it whenever they can IMHO.

panomania

• Bow To the hamster
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »

well i'm not expecting a miracle but i was getting good speeds near 512 and tiscali have told me i will get them again.  But ill keep you posted.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »

The only thing that may get you faster speeds is if they put you back on the BT Wholesale IPStream 500 RADSL product rather than their LLU, which would mean your SNR margin would be much lower but it might bring you up enough to sync at 512 again...

But really it totally depends what they're going to move you onto. I hope for your sake they take you back off LLU, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't :(
Chris

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »

If he's agreed to move the line rental to Tiscali I think we can safely assume he's not coming off LLU?
Pages: [1] 2

anything