Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: voip/fibre  (Read 2061 times)

not/einstein

voip/fibre
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »

i,ve heard that voip will not work on fibre to cab installations , is this true ?.....................

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: voip/fibre
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »

Can't see why not.  Data packets are ... data packets.  VoIP protocols, TCP/IP protocols, etc are just packets that will be transmitted via the fibre cable.
Regards,
Mick

not/einstein

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »

thanks mick........ :)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »

There was an article last month in our internal rag ,'The Loop',  that confirmed a fibre VOIP trial had been succesful.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »

Can RP (or anyone) resolve some terminology questions for me please.

Mick and others say that Voice Over Internet protocol is just another type of data packet which seems correct so you can e.g. use Skype to "Phone" your associates.

Then there is the other use of VOIP as in a VOIP Modem being one that has telephone port(s). One such device is the 2Wire 2700HGV and another as a Thompson TG 784 (2 FXS ports for phone and/or fax; Remotely
manageable.) Such modems have logic which detects calls beginning with 9 and routes them out over the PSTN and also in a broadband failure mode where all calls are routed to the PSTN. I believe I've read somewhere that the new VDSL2+ FTTC (Infinity etc.) modems do not have such facilities.

If both the above are true then we have a YES answer for Skype type VOIP and a NO answer for modem hard wired VOIP.

Kind regards,
Walter

anything