Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Weirdness of the 205  (Read 4164 times)

mywifeshusband

The Weirdness of the 205
« on: October 09, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »

Thanks to all those who have been reading about my saga with BT and have been prompted to help.
This posting continues the saga I'm afraid but only concerns users of the Voyager 205 router and in particular those who do a Start - Run - telnet 192.168.1.1 to record their line stats, and in particular their Downline attenuation. With this router I've been recording a variation between 48.5dB and 60dB for several weeks using a 205 and as conventional wisdom dictates that this is only possible with a dodgy line, I've been pressing BT rather hard to sort it out so that I can have a proper ADSL Max connection rather than a joke!
Yesterday an Openreach technician called, and frankly dismissed my carefully collected data as 'rubbish'. He said, "Your line is on the best of 4 cores coming into the BT Local roadside cubicle about 200 metres away from your house, (and, incidentally 4359m from the exchange) and at that point the cable, as measured by our very expensive and absolutely unimpeachable BT equipment, is 50dB, so at your house it cannot possibly be less than 55 to 60dB". I saw his point of course but remained rather nonplussed about what I had been recording for the last 4 months. Hence the question, Do any other Voyager 205s behave like this? I have to say that I have tried other routers (Home Hub - Voyager 2110 - Voyager 2500) and they remain relatively steady at about 63dB.  That's why I use the 205, I thought it was giving me the best chance of a sensible connection, but perhaps I'm deluded! :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: The Weirdness of the 205
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »

Hi,I,ve been using a Bt Voyager 220v since April and not had any problems with the router even though I am on along line.63.0db downstream,31.5db upstream.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »

Hi

In the past Ive used a Solwise SAR110 - which under the hood is the same as a Voyager 205 and they share the same firmware. However - now that you mention it I have had problems with it false reporting the attenuation figures.  But the other way round to what youre seeing.

For a long time I thought my attenuation was 21.5dB - bear in mind this was pre max days and no-one really paid that much attention to line stats back then. It was only when I used a DG834G in about 04/05? that I noticed that my attenuation was much less.

I never really thought much more about it and it is a rock steady router and has some nice features in the CLI which is one of the reasons why I had it connected again when I got maxed - despite me having other routers by then.

Anyhoooo I upgraded the latest firmware on the SAR and it immediately lopped something like 13db off the attenuation it had been reporting for several years.  I'd completely forgotten about this until your post today, so check which firmware version you have and see if theres an update available.

Several other routers give me anywhere between 7 + 9dB so theres no doubt that some of the older firware versions were false reporting my attenuation... Im very close to the exchange and therefore 7-9dB is about right.

>> That's why I use the 205, I thought it was giving me the best chance of a sensible connection, but perhaps I'm deluded!

Not really, they do have a fairly decentish reputation for holding on to long lines - its just unfortunate if it is false reporting your attenuation :/
Voyager 2110 should be fine too though - same chipset at the DG834G v3 and DG834GT.  Although it doesnt perhaps look as sexy at the Netgear, I do quite like it, plus it has the added benefit of working with DMT tool.
Dont have any experience with the 2500 Im afraid.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:19:00 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 01:09:54 AM »

>> It was only when I used a DG834G in about 94/95?

Only about 10 years out ;) It was around 2005 ish I think.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 01:25:37 AM »

dunno what you mean :whistles:

Couldnt remember which year it was - thought it may have been take on BT round 2 in 2004..  I got the Voyager 2100 in July 05 cause the Netgear didnt do multicasting.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »

Bah, you edited your post and made me look stupid :P

Can't really remember myself.. I know I didn't buy the netgear until after I moved in here which was in June 04... and I've just looked on dabs order history and it was actually in November 2004 that I bought it - and I paid £95 for it!!! :lol:

Not that it matters really ;)
Chris