Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Switch your phone off at night?  (Read 11669 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Switch your phone off at night?
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »

A few days ago my phone stopped being able to send or receive any MMS data.. and it was driving me nuts as a friend was trying to send a pic of one of the kids and the phone was going round in a  "you have message" "cant download message" loop.

So I rang up Vodafone - this is the 2nd time this has happened in the past few months - in order for them to reset MMS.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that the reason this was happening was because (wait for it) I should turn my phone off each night to preserve the data settings.   When I queried this she was most insistent that it was true.

Umm right...  Ive had some sort of mobile phone since back in the days when they were "bricks" 97/98?   and whilst obviously not all of those phones had photo-messaging etc,  this is the first time Ive ever heard that you should turn your phone off each night.  :-\

Has anyone else ever heard anything remotely similar  as to how switching off your phone helps retain data settings?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:02:01 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Switch your phone off at night?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »

sorry for the frankness kitz but thats a load of bollox !!   :-X

i've heard some isp's come out with crap but for a phone company .... that takes the biscuit.

soon, we'll have our internet banking insisting we log out quickly coz e-funds will start leaking out !!!  ...
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:34:44 PM »

lol...  I thought so - hence why I questioned her in the first place, and said that Id never heard of such a thing before, nor could I understand how it would work.

She was adamant, but did back down and admit that she didnt do it either. :D

>> we'll have our internet banking insisting we log out quickly coz e-funds will start leaking out !!! 

:lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:30:03 AM »

Kitz, complain to someone in authority at Vodaphone for being given mis-information.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »

Fired off an e-mail - cba going through their phone system- lets see if I just wasted my time :(
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »

probably... but you might end up with a free month or something, who knows :)
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »

Kitz, complain to someone in authority at Vodaphone for being given mis-information.

Floydy  How do you know the woman's name      :crazy: ;D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 08:22:10 PM »

>> we'll have our internet banking insisting we log out quickly coz e-funds will start leaking out !!! 

I gave up on internet banking as my PC couldn't handle all the fiver's being put in the slot on the front of the PC.
Although someone did tell me it was for a floppy disc and not a floppy fiver.  :lol:

Mis-information  (or should that not be) miz?

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »

:lol:
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 07:25:22 PM »

as expected really not even an acknowledgement from vodafone about the complaint :(
-----

paul-49

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »

sorry this post is a bit late, but in the past I have problems with sms, could send them but not receive them, got onto BT, who told me to take the phone off the BT network(look in your manual on how to do it) then connect onto another network say T-mobile(it won't connect) then reconnect back to BT and bingo, fixed.  Its like a traffic jam of txt messages, they get a back log of messages with no where to go, its like resetting your phone, turning it off makes no differents
It was funny the other week with the delay you sometimes get with sms and mms, I sent a picture to a friend at 9.45pm she received it at 2.50am the next morning, she was not happy  >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:01:25 PM »

forgot to add to this -

a few weeks later I had to contact them because my bill was for about £14 more than expected. 
It turned out that now I had completed a year of an 18 month contract, that the negotiated price when I'd been promised after I'd asked for a PAC had come to an end. 
That was news to me!  Theyd oftered me a reduction to keep my service but no mention that it was only for 12 months...  and they had reset all my phone settings.
A bit of an angry phone call sorted that out.. and it was when I found out why everything had really changed and as suspected wasnt anything to do with turning the phone off or not :/

>>  I sent a picture to a friend at 9.45pm she received it at 2.50am the next morning, she was not happy 

I bet not. :/

New year is not a good time for this either.  One year I sent a load of Happy New year texts at midnight..  and all night and right through to about 9.30am the next morning the "message received" were going off. ???  Dont think I would have been too popular either.  :-\
-----

paul-49

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »

Just thought of a good topic, all about phones and which is the best one to get, my sony ericsson k800i is one of the best(even if I do say so myself)  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »

Youre more than welcome to start one in the Phones and Camera etc section if you like :)
-----

paul-49

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

Youre more than welcome to start one in the Phones and Camera etc section if you like :)

will do Kitz, just got a new digital camera (fuji finepix) so will post some pictures tomorrow, some with the k800i and some with the fuji see who can spot the differents
Pages: [1] 2

anything