Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The world has gone mad.......... printers/ink.  (Read 10131 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: The world has gone mad.......... printers/ink.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

Crikey I would have thought that laser printers would produce better quality than inkjets !

Not for photos as far as I know. And I doubt that any of the lower cost laser printers can handle heavyweight photo paper. But if anyone knows better, I'm happy to be proved wrong.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

I'll never ever buy another Epson printer. I had one with 4 cartridges. One of the colour ones ran out, and the stupid thing refused to print monochrome (a letter) until I replaced the colour cartridge. ...
Same with my Pixma, and what's the odds that there is still ink in the cartridge?!

I did use a CISS system with an Epson P50 for some time. It was certainly capable of reasonably accurate colour reproduction, but the problem I had with it was that is wasn't consistent. I'm sure that this was down to the quality of construction of the CISS hardware, and not the inks. Eventually I got tired of repeatedly adjusting the colour levels, and opted for a problem-free, if more expensive, life with manufacturer's ink cartridges.

CISS? Colour consistency would worry me too, even though I do not do many colour prints nowadays.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »

Looking at the HP UK site today I find I can purchase a brand new all in one printer scanner for only £39.00 complete!  That is less than the cost of the original HP cartridges for my printer,

Obviously you did not read the small print that will say that the cartridges are "starter cartridges" (which usually only contain about 30% ink) so, it looks like a bargain and you feel less inclined to throw it away when the ink cartridges soon run out and as explained in other posts you then have to purchase cartridges which is where they make the real money.

One of my Epson R300 printers (I have 2 of them) had not been used in over a year and still worked perfectly when it was reinstalled, so saying they need to be used on a daily basis is just not true.

As for the CISS unit, that was probably the best purchase I ever made.

Re coloured laser printers, I have literally last week acquired a Samsung CLX-2160N (IP network printer) and with cartridges only £5.99 each from SVP.com
But as mentioned earlier, the print quality is not as good as my inkjet printer, although part of that problem is down to the quality of paper that is used.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »

One of my Epson R300 printers (I have 2 of them) had not been used in over a year and still worked perfectly when it was reinstalled, so saying they need to be used on a daily basis is just not true.

I'm only quoting the Epson repair shop and their "lots of customers have that problem" plus my own experience. And if you Google around you'll find others with a similar sorry tale. The Epson R300 must be the model that breaks the rule! Or maybe they've wised up and changed the design. After all, it was 5+ years ago that I junked my Epson. Anyway, once bitten, twice shy.

But I will say that when it worked the Epson's prints were excellent.

Cheers,
Peter

Added - PS Have also thought about a colour laser. But I can't find your
cartridges only £5.99 each from SVP.com
SVP.com est en France, et il faut parler français pour comprendre cette site.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:49:36 AM by geep »

scottiesmum

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »

Peter,  I think  this is the  site  you are looking for  ......    http://www.svp.co.uk/

:lol:    at your link    ...  well,  I found it funny  ;D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »

Thanks scottiesmom, although that is one of the sites I also use, I posted the wrong site to begin with, the site I meant to mention is " http://new.ukdvdr.co.uk/search.php?search=CLX-2160&brand= " where I recently purchased the coloured toner cartridges from, (£6.14 each not as originally stated as £5.99)
I can't remember now but I think each cartridge is supposed to print about 1,000 pages.

The printer itself is about 2 to 3 years old and as said earlier it's not too bad but as said in one of the many write-ups it does tend to curl the paper quite a bit, so actually making double sided printing a bit difficult at times, but it did not cost me anything so who am I to complain.
(what I have done on one occasion is to print the one side of each copy then leave it/them under a flat weight for about 30 minutes then print the reverse sides) not the best way of printing but it does work.

But as I also said, the quality of paper makes a big difference and I am only using cheap photocopy paper at the moment.
(Better/thicker paper has produced better results with far less curling of the paper)

Still on the subject of ink, when I originally setup my CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System) I also diverted the waste overflow tube into a clear glass jar which not only is it amazing to see how much ink gets wasted each time the printer is turned on and even more-so when a head clean task is run either automatically or manually, this "WASTE INK" although a mixture of all 6 colours it then gets recycled into the black ink bottle without any noticeable difference, although I do occasionally use a new supply of black ink from time-to-time to stop it from getting to diluted with the other colours.

This is the unit that I first setup and it's still going strong without any problems, although I had a quick look for replacement inks the other day and they seem to be a bit illusive at the moment.
How to: Install a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) for the Epson R300

edit:
Link changed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:08:33 PM by oldfogy »
Pages: 1 [2]