Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New printer issue - Canon MG5250 wireless  (Read 14476 times)

staffsman

New printer issue - Canon MG5250 wireless
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »

I wonder if anyone can help me here.

Until last week I have been using an Epsom printer and in truth it was quite good but began to play up so I moved on.

I bought a Canon Pixma MG5250.  It was very easy to install.  It is a wireless machine, hard wired to my PC and used via WI-Fi to the laptop.

Day one was fine and I was thrilled with the thing, however, since then I have had an annoying problem.  It seems to work OK via Wi-fi but not print from my PC over the hard wire?  It shows up, or rather it doesn't show up as being connected yet I can see that it is.  Keeps telling to check the USB connection, which is fine. Switching the printer off and  on again does nothing but If I re-boot the PC it works.  I have even printed from the Laptop via Wi-Fi and moments later failed to print from the PC.  All the connections are fine.  I could understand if it would print while hard wired but not via Wi-Fi but not the other way around.

Any ideas?

Ray

AdrianH

Re: New printer issue - Canon MG5250 wireless
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »

Try Control Panel > Devices and Printers and then check your new unit is seleted as the default.

In Vista and Win7 I have had an issue in the past where the printer wouldn't work and it turned out that Windows had for some reason change the default printer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

staffsman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »

Try Control Panel > Devices and Printers and then check your new unit is seleted as the default.

In Vista and Win7 I have had an issue in the past where the printer wouldn't work and it turned out that Windows had for some reason change the default printer to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

It's not that,  I do have two printers, one laser and the new colour canon.  The canon is definitely set as default.

Ray

staffsman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

Was the USB lead connected after the drivers were installed, if not there will be an issue.
[/quote]

I am sure the installation was carried out as per the instructions.  The instruction not to connect the USB until........was everywhere.  I think it has been the same on most printers I have installed over the years.  I'm going to disconnect the USB and connect via Wi-Fi, my PC has Wi-Fi capability anyway, I just thought using the USB would be more reliable!
If that fails I will try a reinstall.

Thanks for your help here.

Ray

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »

Hi
When you select to print do you get the option to select which printer to use ?.
Should show it as default ,if not you should be able to see it in drop down menu?
Regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
zen user

staffsman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »

Hi
When you select to print do you get the option to select which printer to use ?.
Should show it as default ,if not you should be able to see it in drop down menu?
Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff, that's not the problem either, I get to see which printer it is and anyway if it was going to the laser printer it would still be printed, just from the wrong machine.
Anyway I have removed the USB and made it work via Wi Fi,.  Seems OK today so I guess I will leave it like that.

Ray