Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cordless Phones  (Read 7714 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Cordless Phones
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

I have had a set of BT Synergy 4100 cordless phone which were fine for about the first two years then I had to change the rechargeable batteries, the price for two from BT was a staggering £48.00 for four!!

So I bought a less expensive set but with the same spec, NiMH AAA capacity 750mah, these were fine for something like 18 months, then the batteries died after using the phone for ten or fifteen minutes, making long conversations impossible, also one phone died on me completely.

I've now decided to buy a new set DECT phone and opted for a Panosonic set of three, after reading very good reviews, (Taken with a pinch of salt! ;))

While searching I looked at the reviews for the BT Synergy phones, couldn't find a good word about them!!

What I need to know now which is best to preserve battery life, replce the handset on it's charger or leave it off until a low charge is shown?

I'm sorry to be so long winded but I felt the back ground  may be helpful.

Regards,

Peter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Cordless Phones
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »

We have 2 BT Lyric 2100 cordless phones and after having them 5 years just changed the the batteries about 2 months ago after we noticed that they were no longer holding their charge,we have just put in Duracell (non rechargeable) ones and so far they are fine.

We always leave ours on the chargers

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »

In the user guide for ours  (Siemens)  it has an important note   ...." following the initial charge, leave the 'phones off  the base until the batteries completely run down to zero   ..... replace and  recharge ...then use as required"     I tend to leave ours on the charger overnight then it usually follows me around the house and garden  ......   fine until I lose it  ::)   I did manage to ruin one lot   .... buy not using rechargeable batteries  :blush: ::)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »

,we have just put in Duracell (non rechargeable) ones and so far they are fine....

....We always leave ours on the chargers

@Uncle... Maybe that's not what you meant, but you really shouldn't make any attempt to use non-rechargeable batteries on a charger.

The main rule to follow is to check whether the old batteries are NiCad or NiMH, and then replace like with like.  But you are probably OK to buy the cheapest you can find of the correct type (check amazon).

With some designs it's not a bad idea to run the batteries right down once in a while as it can help to calibrate the charge-level indicator, but it can also be the last straw for a bettery that was already nearing end of life.  I personally leave mine on charge for the vast majority of the time, and life of cheap batteries is typically quite a few years.

- 7LM

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »

So my two years life span was not good at all then?

No wonder the reviews were so bad.

Pete

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »

@Uncle... Maybe that's not what you meant, but you really shouldn't make any attempt to use non-rechargeable batteries on a charger.

These batteries just pop inside the hand sets........I do have a battery charger and some AA 2500 re chargeable batteries though

Edit with red face   :-[...........They are Duracell 2500 AA re chargeable ones.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:42:04 PM by UncleUB »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

These batteries just pop inside the hand sets........I do have a battery charger and some AA 2500 re chargeable batteries though

Non rechargeable batteries may seem to work OK in the handsets.  But if you then  put the handset back on the charger, it would attempt to charge the non-rechargeable batteries, which presents risk of damage and even fire.

I suspect I may be misunderstanding your intentions, thogh ?  :)

Ooops sorry, I mis-read your last edit.  Strike all of that, and my turn for red face  :-[
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:08:59 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »

I have Panosonic and love them, I like how I can send the address book to all the other phones in the set, I also like that I can block incomming numbers and record conversations.

As for battery I let them go  down near flat then charge them up fully but I am a bit old fashioned.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »

NiMH batteries should not need running down like NiCAD.

But no battery technology is immune from the ageing effects.

Eventually, the heat generated by charging the batteries does for them - even car batteries.

You can buy rechargeable Duracells on flea-bay quite cheaply, and they work very well for me.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »

We just got some re-chargeable ones from the pound  shop (2 for £1)  :) and they work ok in our Philips phone.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.