Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange removal of fair use policy - "Truly Unlimited"  (Read 8956 times)

mcall_r

• Just arrived
Orange removal of fair use policy - "Truly Unlimited"
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »

Hi everybody,
first post but just wanted to make people aware that within the last 2 days Orange have now removed the fair use policy and traffic management from their broadband service. This now brings Orange in line with Sky who have offered a "truly" unlimited service since 2008.

Let’s be as simple as we can be, when you’re an Orange Home broadband customer, we do not limit the amount of broadband you use. Put another way, we do not enforce a Fair Use Policy on broadband.

Some of the other broadband providers out there track and limit your speed if you reach a certain amount of data, we don't. Nor will we automatically upgrade you to a more expensive plan.

There is one exception to this rule and it concerns a handful of customers who’ve signed up with us before April 2009 on plans which had a 2GB, 6GB or 10GB data limit. If you’d like to check which plan you are on, just log into the Member Centre.
http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/609655

For the likes of myself who is a heavy downloader and was caught once in the past by them capping my line at peak times, this is great news! up to 20meg unlim broadband, calls and line rental for £15 via retentions  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:05:20 PM by mcall_r »

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: Orange removal of fair use policy since BT partnership
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »

Sounds good. D'ya mean 'redemptions' though ?, as I've not heard of 'retentions'.

mcall_r

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »

Sounds good. D'ya mean 'redemptions' though ?, as I've not heard of 'retentions'.

No, if you go through to 150 option 2 then, "If you're thinking of leaving orange" then say you want to leave they will give you a better deal if you re-sign.

Good thing to note aswell is that if you go through to normal CS and tell them you have a technical problem (UK Based) they will transfer you to a tech team based in Belfast (contracted to orange from BTO) instead of going through to the script reading tech line based in India (which is soon to be removed - I work for an Orange outsourcer and this is what we have been told).

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

Thanks for that. I understand now.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »

If going in with BT means you get unlimited I will eat my hat.

Beware Geeks baring gifts.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:56:22 PM by BritBrat »

mcall_r

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »

If going in with BT means you get unlimited I will eat my hat.

Beware Geeks baring gifts.

Well I didnt say the removal of the FUP was because of the partnership, but it's very co-incidental since they have only migrated everyone to the WBC very recently. You can't get a better deal with anyone else for what u get for your money - even Sky who stick you on an MPF so you are stuck with them!

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:04:51 PM »

even Sky who stick you on an MPF so you are stuck with them!

What is MPF?  I am with Sky for broadband.

I think I am OK, I have no Sky phone or TV, just broadband so I think I would be on SMPF - Shared Metallic Path Facility.

Let me try and clear up the way this "new broadband network" operates...

If you are in a Sky enabled exchange area (IE you have a BASE, MID or MAX package), Sky use a product from Openreach called LLU.

This is available in two varieties:

SMPF - Shared Metallic Path Facility.
MPF - Metalic Path Facility.

Both products involve sky installing their own equipment in the BT/Openreach exchange and renting a network pair (line) from the exchange into your premises. This line is connected to the sky equipment in the exchange.

skyuser.co.uk

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:10:28 PM by BritBrat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »

Hi BB,

I think you can verify whether you are on an isolated MPF connection or a shared one by doing the quiet line test.

Kind Regards
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »

Hi BB,

I think you can verify whether you are on an isolated MPF connection or a shared one by doing the quiet line test.

Kind Regards
Walter

17070 - This circuit is defind as .........

Looks like I am OK.

Its only if you move phone over, I still have old BT line rental and no yearly contract.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »

Just for info (and I've mentioned this elsewhere within this forum), if you have no CLI (Customer Line Identifier) attached to your package, as in your number is witheld when you ring somebody, then you will need to input 1470 first followed by 17070.

If you are on a 'Carrier Pre-select' service, again with no CLI ..... then you will need to input 1280 1470 17070.  :)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »

Just for info (and I've mentioned this elsewhere within this forum), if you have no CLI (Customer Line Identifier) attached to your package, as in your number is witheld when you ring somebody, then you will need to input 1470 first followed by 17070.

If you are on a 'Carrier Pre-select' service, again with no CLI ..... then you will need to input 1280 1470 17070.  :)

Interesting.

Are you saying that works with any system?

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »

I'm not saying that outright, I can however comment that I use it on a daily basis (along with thousands of other engineers), and haven't found an SP it doesn't work with.

Some of the functions available on 17070 are extremely limited with the odd SP, like 'Quiet line' test, but it will still report back the number that is being worked on.

The only system I'm not sure of is Virgin Media's own networked lines, and that don't interest me in my day-to-day happenings. 

mcall_r

• Just arrived
Re: Orange removal of fair use policy - "Truly Unlimited"
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

This thread has gone slightly off topic............

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »

I suppose it has, slightly, but it was only started as an 'information' topic and not a question, and has carried on in that vein. I'm sure the 'Mods' will do the neccessary. ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »

I'm sure everyone will stick to the topic from now on. :)
  Eric

anything