Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What will BT do and charge about this  (Read 5313 times)

iainiow

• Just arrived
What will BT do and charge about this
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

Hi,

I have a 1870's house with pretty old telephony... On the window sill of the master bedroom is a General Post Office BT20/4 junction box connecting the drop wire to the mastersocket (via a couple of meters of ribbed cable). There is no star from the junction box - i have two stands of wire connected on both sides of the junction.

The whole setup woks - albiet with some occasional line noise and ADSL isnt a ball of fire.

I will soon be getting the window replaced and want that old box removed and replaced with something a bit more attractive and secure. the wiring also just runs under the carpet so i would like to get that extended to go either under the floor or neatly along the skirting line.

questions:

1) What would BT now replace the General Post Office BT20/4 with? (space is an issue so i need to know what i would be expecting!!)
2) What is the likely cost of the works?

Many thanks.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: What will BT do and charge about this
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »

Hi
quote  General Post Office BT20/4 junction box connecting the drop wire to the mastersocket (via a couple of meters of ribbed cable

Is the master socket an NTE5 ?.
As far as I understand If its not then there is a chance that BT will put in an NTE5 socket for free .Any internal wiring after that will be your responsibility .

RP will probably look in later and give more info .

Regards Jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »

Hi Iain and welcome,

If ribbed wire means flat twin it might be better to replace it anyway.

If the GPO installed their cable though your window there might be a chance BT would do any works FOC.
I would guess that if BT are to upgrade your wiring they would probably run a new drop wire at least from the external wall bracket and, if possible, directly into the NTE5 possibly even including a dual port SSFP faceplate.

Again RP might provide some more hints.

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »

Hi,

I have a 1870's house with pretty old telephony... On the window sill of the master bedroom is a General Post Office BT20/4 junction box connecting the drop wire to the mastersocket (via a couple of meters of ribbed cable). There is no star from the junction box - i have two stands of wire connected on both sides of the junction.

The whole setup woks - albiet with some occasional line noise and ADSL isnt a ball of fire.

I will soon be getting the window replaced and want that old box removed and replaced with something a bit more attractive and secure. the wiring also just runs under the carpet so i would like to get that extended to go either under the floor or neatly along the skirting line.

questions:

1) What would BT now replace the General Post Office BT20/4 with? (space is an issue so i need to know what i would be expecting!!)
2) What is the likely cost of the works?

Many thanks.

Kind of an open-ended question really, Iain. Are you saying you are going to request that Openreach replace all the "old stuff" for the latest fixtures & fittings ?? Or, are you going to report a 'Noise' fault on the line ??

The reason I ask is that the first is a 'Provision' activity that will definitelt incur charges via our Timescale Related Charges process, and the second is a 'Repair' activity, which may or may not have the bill footed by the SP dependant on what was found to be the cause of the "Noise".

From your posting, it would be appear you only possess 'Monopoly wiring & socket' which is all covered under your rental payments. Should any of these items (wiring, socket or junction box) be causing disruption to the service, then they should be replaced F.O.C.
Also, even if there proves to be a fault outside your premises, the engineer should fit a brand new 'Openreach logo'd' NTE5 if you have any other type of Master Socket. We are not in the business of just replacing wiring or sockets for aesthetic purposes or because the EU says the installation is years old. If the circuit passes certain test parameters, then it's good to go.

My genuine thoughts are that if you are CONVINCED there is noise on the monopoly wiring/sockets, then organise an SFI visit ASAP, preferably before the window work is done. If any damage is done whilst the window is fitted, you will be charged. Other than that, to answer your 2 questions .............

A) We would most likely replace the old junction box (BT20) for an NTE5 Master Socket, where the cable enters your premises, seeing as space is at a premium.
B) I wouldn't have a cluse as we work for all SP's ( approx 298 of) and couldn't possibly keep abrest of all the constantly changing tariffs they employ.

Best I can do I'm afraid.  ;D

anything