Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet portal speed profile.  (Read 4215 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Plusnet portal speed profile.
« on: October 09, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »

Hi all

Yesterday i decided to have a little tweak at my router with DMT now I have one that DMT will talk to.  Due to my hamfistedness I ended up with a much poorer sync speed than normal for, at the most, five minutes before I went back to my usual around 6 megs sync speed. Later that evening I noticed very poor download speeds (about 1 Meg instead of the usual 4.5 Meg) and checking the Plusnet Speed Profile sure enough it said "1 Meg". I thought this odd since my sync speed had only been reduced for a very short time but I shrugged my shoulders and assumed I would have to wait until the BT system got back to normal.

Imagine my surprise when even later yesterday evening my downloads went back to their usual 4.5 Meg but checking the Plusnet Profile again still showed 1 Meg.  And it's still showing 1 Meg this afternoon (1205) with an actual 4.5 Meg download speed.

I'm reluctant to go down the road of fault numbers 'cos it's working OK but I wondered if anyone else has experience something like this.

Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Plusnet portal speed profile.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:19:40 PM »

lol no sorry.

The way the IPprofile system works has changed slightly recently and its supposed to recover in instances like yours much more quickly than it would do in the past.

When your bRAS profile changes - BTw inform the ISP of the changes so they can adjust their system accordingly.   afaik these reports happen a couple of times a day and it is possible for there to be a delay of up to a day.
However, that doesnt explain your "problem" that the data profile is showing at PN yet its still allowing you full throughput. :D

Just a thought - by any chance are you on one of the old PAYG accounts where you have a RIN login?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »

Kitz

Thanks for your response.

As far as I'm aware I'm on a normal BBYW Maxdsl which I changed to in June this year from a fixed 2 Meg account. All my experiences since then seem to indicate a normal Maxdsl service and, with a Speedtouch 546, I have had a consistent 4.5 Meg download speed.

I'll keep an eye on it and try to remember to tell the Forum of any developments.

Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

ok thanks -

At least its "gone wrong" that way round and not the other :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 12:53:54 AM »

Check your BT profile speed at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ - if it says different to your PlusNet profile, you could raise a ticket to get PN to change your profile speed at PlusNet if for whatever reason it hasn't updated automatically.

Good luck :)
Chris

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »

Kitz and Mr Chris

A quick update. Yesterday after about 72 hours of 4.5 Megs download speed and Plusnet Profile saying ! Meg, I put a message on plusnet.service.customer-feedback.  And Bob Pullen (PlusnetSupport) fixed it.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:59:56 AM »

Cool, glad its all sorted :)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 01:12:48 AM »

Good stuff

Thanks for letting us know :)
-----

anything