Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Recuva'd Jpegs...Sort of!  (Read 11746 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Recuva'd Jpegs...Sort of!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »

HDD/HDDs

Incidentally Recuva has not unearthed some of my earlier pics, some taken with the Finepix and some with an old Olympus. All were sorted in to subject group folders. Is REcuva the best freeware app to use?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:41:54 AM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »

Now here's a bit of a conundrum, leastwise for me! :D

A number of the recovered pictures do not display in full, part being grayed out. Yet when I go to delete, the thumbnail accompanying the 'do you want to..' dialogue box shows the complete picture.

Can anyone suggest why this anomaly should be, and if it may give some indication of a way    to recover the whole picture file?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »

Maybe the images have embedded thumbnails. This is a bit of an issue with images on the net, because some photoediting programs keep an unmodified version of the image as a thumbnail, so information which was removed from the image may still be recoverable.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »

recoverable.

but is usable in any practical sense to get a reasonable image, and how?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »

recoverable.

but is usable in any practical sense to get a reasonable image, and how?

No, it's not useful for recovering the full resolution image, but I just mentioned it because it could be a security risk.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »

Found  a jpg file analysis  program most of which I do not understand. Plenty of errors reported but widh one very interesting comment about data found beyond end of file. AFAICS the additional data is as long as the true.

[attachment deleted by admin]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »

I am no nearer to understanding where the images came from, but I do have a suggestion which may explain their corrupted display.

I do regular back-ups of all my data onto both my internal slave drive and an external drive.
The first time I did this, I received a warning message pop-up to the effect ( I cannot recall the exact wording) that there were "hidden files associated with these image files and that if I failed to copy these files along with the images then data would be lost".
So, in Windows Explorer, I went tools>folder options>view and checked the box "show hidden files and folders"........and there was revealed in each folder a little file named "thumbs data file"
With that unhidden, I could copy my data across without problem and they now all display correctly on both my K drive and my external drive.

Perhaps you need to do the same when recovering deleted images....meaning unhide that "thumbs data file" so that it can be detected along with the image data ?

As you have already recovered the image files and changed their location, it may be too late to recover the "thumbs data file" which may be by now disassociated from the relevant images, but it may be a useful exercise to re-delete the images, show the hidden files and then try to recover them again. A very long shot.......it probably won't work now, but as you don't want the images you have nothing to lose.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:42:31 AM by tuftedduck »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »

I am no nearer to understanding where the images came from, but I do have a suggestion which may explain their corrupted display.

The majority were taken on one of our cameras, accidentally wiped directly or from emptying recycle bin.

but as you don't want the images you have nothing to lose.
Not quite true, unless you refer to the foreigners from unknown cameras,some  few are wanted.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:24:14 AM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »

@tuftedduck

Are you saying that the thumbs will appear along with the jpgs once the recovery program is run?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »

They should do if they had been found and recovered along with the images........but I think that to find the two together, you would have to have had the thims data files "unhidden".

Having found the image files without the thumbs data file ( because they were hidden ) and having moved the image files, the links between the images and the thumbs file will have been broken.
So probably too late now to re-link them....unless you can put the images back into the precise location where you first found the, and then try to recover the images and thethumbs data together.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »

I would have expected the thumbnail images to be embedded in the main .jpg image files, so I suspect that the thumbs data file is an index maintained by Photoshop, rather than the actual thumbnail data.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »

No, it is a Windows file........... Windows creates a file called Thumbs.db for folders that contain pictures. The Thumbs.db (.DB) file caches a thumbnail version of the pictures in the folder, making it quicker to view the thumbnail images each time the folder is opened.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:52 AM »

I stand corrected. :)
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »

So thumbs.db files do not need any other app than my photo editing prog to open them?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »

You cannot open the thumbs.db file........but I do believe that they are required to be present in order to open and display the images correctly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3