Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Picasa query please ....  (Read 4234 times)

scottiesmum

Picasa query please ....
« on: June 29, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »

I've recently started using this programme, but it has this annoying thumbnail screen that is continuously flashing (with all my photos)  it is on my screen as I type this, and is driving me potty.  If I close the thumbnail with the small X  in TLHC  ... it just opens another folder and starts flashing again.  Can I stop this   ... otherwise it's going !

Many thanks for any help.

jazz

• Reg Member
Re: Picasa query please ....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »

This is just Picasa cataloguing and filing your photos.  once it has finished it will stop the thumbnail flashing business until you next load new pics.  It is made worse (takes longer) because of its new system of checking all your photos for pictures of faces which it then makes copies of into a separate overarching "people" album.  It puts the pictures in the album grouping them together wherever it sees pictures of what it believes are the same people.  This new facial recognition system annoyed a number of users when it was first introduced and Picasa spends ages at first scanning and classifying your pics (I'm guessing you perhaps have a lot!) but it does settle down eventually and the programme is well worth using.  Why not just leave it pottering on while you pop out to the garden or the shops until it gets over this early phase???  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »

>>> pop out to the garden or the shops

Don't tempt her! ;D
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »

:lol:    @ Eric    :P

Jazz, thank you for your comments    (especially your last sentence  :D)    I do have a lot of photos, I have them all backed up on an external hard drive too ......  I think it might be time to have a sort out    ::)   

I've just done a 'duplicate photo' search within Picasa, and there are a LOT of duplicates   :o   are these real duplicates ? is it OK to delete them (bearing in mind I have all my photos backed up on external hard drive ..... from my Photos file )  If I delete the duplicates in Picasa, does it mean I will delete them from my Photos folder ......  I've confused myself I think  :'(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »

All these duplicates.......hmmm... :hmm:

Was your external drive plugged in and switched when you did your search ?
Let's say that your "originals" are stored on your C drive and the backups are on your E (external) drive..............does the original image and the relevant back-up image carry the same name ? ..........in your search result, is it showing (for example) Image 1 on the C drive and Image 1 also on the E drive............or are all the alleged duplicates on one drive ? and in one location. ?

Location, location, location... :D  

I would recommend that you switch off the external drive and then do a search using the Windows search tool.........pick a "duplicated" image title at random then search for it...see whar results pop up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:07:15 PM by tuftedduck »

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »

Altering a picture (or deleting it) in Picasa "should not" affect the "master" copy of the photo in your Windows "My Pictures"  file assuming you loaded into there first on your computer.  Picasa says it just copies your "master" pics into its prog and puts them into albums that you set up (or copies your album structure from windows My pics folder).  Changes made to pics in Picasa affect only the Picasa copy and not copies held elsewhere.

To check this you could delete a relatively unimportant pic (or duplicate) and then check that it is still there in Windows 'My Pics'.  It should be.  The Picasa copy that you deleted should still be hanging around in your 'Recycle Bin' so you can always restore it to Picasa from there  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »

TD  ....   thank you for your interest  ....   No the external hard drive was not connected at all when 'searching'   ......

Jazz  .. thank you also for your continued interest    .....

You will both want to  ::) at me now, because I have decided I don't like Picasa   ...  it seems to have a life for of its own, and I wonder if that's because it is a  Google offspring !   I didn't like the face recognition idea  ....  it sounds like Big Brother   ;D    SO    .....  I have been extremely busy   .....   I've uninstalled Picasa    and spent the last hour and a half looking at all my photo folders and rid myself of some unwanted items .....  I'm sure I do still have duplicates as I have several different folders covering same periods  .....  but I can live with that.  I've put all the 'loose' photos in a new folder so I look pretty tidy now  ;D

I know you'll think    'women'   :'(     bless 'em  !!!     

Many, many thanks for your input  ..... and apologies for, perhaps, having wasted your time  :-[

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 05:21:43 PM »

Well. that's one way to solve the problem...... :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

That's just what  I thought   :D     I think you're catching on to my FL TD   :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »

:lol:

Actually I'm completely in agreement with Kate on this. I don't like the way Picasa takes over your photographic life. You're better off without it (in my very humble opinion).
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 09:41:16 AM »

No probs  :)

anything