Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floydy's Astounding Trivia #1  (Read 11016 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Floydy's Astounding Trivia #1
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »

OK, here's the answers... not too difficult was it?

1) URL
Uniform Resource Locator (the global address of documents and other resources on the World Wide Web)

2) SSL
Secure Sockets Layer (a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet)

3) ODBC
Open DataBase Connectivity (a standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992)

4) RAID
Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks (a category of disk drives that employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance)

5) SDHC
Secure Digital High Capacity (a type of flash memory card based on the SDA 2.00 specification)

6) CPU
Central Processing Unit (the brains of the computer, sometimes referred to simply as the processor)

7) MPLS
MultiProtocol Label Switching (an IETF initiative that integrates Layer 2 information about network links - bandwidth, latency, utilization) into Layer 3 (IP) within a particular autonomous system--or ISP--in order to simplify and improve IP-packet exchange)

8 ) PCI
Peripheral Component Interconnect (a local bus standard developed by Intel Corporation)

9) DNS
Domain Name System (or Service or Server) - an Internet service that translates domain names into IP addresses

10) SCSI
Small Computer System Interface (a parallel interface standard used by Apple Macintosh computers, PCs, and many UNIX systems for attaching peripheral devices to computers)

11) ADSL
Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (a technology that allows more data (than traditional dialup) to be sent over existing copper telephone lines)

12) IDE
Intelligent (or Integrated) Drive Electronics (an interface for mass storage devices, in which the controller is integrated into the disk drive)

Well done everyone, and Dave gets an extra point for coming up with the best post I've read in ages.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Floydy's Astounding Trivia #1
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 02:02:53 AM »

>>> I suppose that as a penguin lover I should say nothing at all

nope - best not since youre out numbered when it comes to who uses what operating systems.
But then again...  we may even agree.   ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything