Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: B****y Laptops  (Read 4636 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
B****y Laptops
« on: August 03, 2006, 09:16:55 PM »

Had a call from No1 Daughter "my laptops running really slowly, do you think I might have a virus?"

Went down there with a USB memory stick stuffed full of useful software and installed AVG, AdAware and Eastcleaner.  Scanned everything - no virus infections, no spyware, except a few tracking cookies, and only 428 registry errors.

Thank heavens for NAT routers.

Deleted a couple of startup entries, Acrobat reader etc.

Found the main problem, this is an newish Acer with a 1.5 gHz processor, 256Mb RAM running XP.  Told her to go buy loadsa memory for it.

Using XP on this PC with the horrible pad to move the mouse is a real trial. Proper Mices are much better.

Also defragged the HD, took nearly 3 hours.

What a relief to get back to 98SE.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
B****y Laptops
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »

lol... all in all a good day eh?

Some mouse pads aint too bad.. on my FJS lappy that I had I became a dab hand, and could even do graphic editing with it..
(damn cat killed the FJS) :/

These days I have an Acer, and went for a specific type mouse pad (synaptics).. although I now mostly resort to a mouse.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
B****y Laptops
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

I recon some manufacturers supply the laptops with so many useless utilities and apps preinstalled by default that it is a loosing battle from the start to keep things running smoothly.

I have a friend with 2,8Ghz Sempron, 512Mb RAM Packard Bell (i think) laptop.
It came with Norton Internet Security pre-installed, along with AOL and all sorts of rubbish. My far older 1.4ghz laptop could out-load it with 256mb ram.

A couple of months back now I upgrading the RAM to 1Gb and bought a copy of diskeeper defraging program. Since that it runs far better, and can even properly multi-task using XP!

(Note: mine doesnt run fast because dell supplied it as such, it runs fast because i have wiped the HDD and reinstalled once or twice and been a bit selective about what i put back on it)