Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some Pictures of a Dismantled OR NTE5/A EU Front Panel  (Read 4157 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Some Pictures of a Dismantled OR NTE5/A EU Front Panel
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

On my way home from a day out, yesterday, I was clutching an old padded bag. It contained the "left-overs" from when an OR engineer rationalised the POTS wiring to be broadband acceptable at my sister and b-i-l's house.

Contents:

(1) Two "Speedtouch" branded ADSL micro-filters.
(2) One "LJ2/2A" that had had the capacitor, resistor & surge suppressor removed.
(3) One new backing box & screws from the kit which provided the new "LJ2/2A".
(4) One 1981 style "T-in-a circle" "BT" branded NT5E/A front plate, EU bottom front & screws, having fitted a new "OR" branded NTE5/A front plate.
(5) One EU bottom front from the "OR" branded NTE5/A, as he had fitted an SSF ADSL faceplate to the new NTE5/A, above.
(6) The relevant EU documentation.

The idea was that I will put those "left-overs" into my grotto, otherwise they would have gone into the bin.

As the EU bottom front from the new "OR" branded NTE5/A was the type with the 22mH choke in series with the "bell" wire connection, I decided to investigate. It was a simple "click" fit, so it was dismantled into its three major components without and structural damage. :)

Pictures were then taken -- unfortunately I only have a WebCam, hence the poorer quality -- which I attach to this post. By use of my magnifying glass, I see that the choke has a ferrite core and its outer covering has a single, enigmatic mark -- a solitary ampersand!

[attachment deleted by admin]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Some Pictures of a Dismantled OR NTE5/A EU Front Panel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »

I cant ever remember seeing a choke on that type of socket. It's the type found in an rf2 filter, one for the a-leg, one for the b.  The new I-plate or new openreach marked nte5 have that same choke on the bell wire as your socket has. Curious.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Some Pictures of a Dismantled OR NTE5/A EU Front Panel
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »

. . . new openreach marked nte5 have that same choke on the bell wire . . .

That is exactly what it is. The EU lower front plate, dismantled. A "D'oh!" moment, perhaps? :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.