Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AVG 2011 renewal notice + update  (Read 7643 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: AVG 2011 renewal notice + update
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

Tbh I would be inclined to say stuff em and get another AV package.Avast gets very good reviews and I know members on here use it(TD irrc) and rate it highly.

I myself have used McAfee for 4 years and never had cause to complain.I have the paid for Internet security 2011 package.IT originally came free for 3 years with my Dell computer and have renewed the subscription for another year.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »

I would think that it would be of great interest to Grisoft, who distribute AVG, to gather all the information they can on what sounds a nasty virus. It is an attack on their software and it is bringing them into disrepute.
Chrissie, they may know how to deal with the virus if you can give them the information they need. I know how smart a lady you are when you bite the bullet. :)
The .bat file they sent you I assume needs access to the Internet to operate. It could be that this virus is preventing the access to the AVG servers.

I feel your best course of action is to follow TD's advice about having the machine scanned. My reasoning is that if you kiss avg goodbye you will still be left with the virus. If the website suggested by TD can clean the PC then maybe you can make some progress.

I have ear defenders on and I can still hear the screaming.  ???  :lol:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »

WE can only advise but as stated on previous posts....Scan with either Trend Housecall/and/or Malwarebytes and see if there is anything amiss.

I think this should be the first course of action irrespective of sending screen shots/logs to AVG.

Scream all you want Chrissie............I'm deaf  :D

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:56:47 PM »

Hi you dear patient people

Thanks for bearing with me.  State of play so far….

The autoruns biz…..when I tried to do the scan thingy it kept coming up with “the autorunsc.exe file is missing and I kept trying to download again but it wouldn’t so it was a no go.  I emailed AVG yesterday but no reply.

Today I looked in the AVG firewall settings and one of the “allow all” list was AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE  (written like that).  I googled it and no information so I sent another email to AVG today  to ask them to tell me what that was but they still haven’t got back to me so I am NOT pleased.

Then…(wake up please)…..this afternoon I did two more Housecall scans (the recommended version) and nowt found.  So I took the bull by the horns and did the Housecall full scan….2½ hours!!   It threw up 17 AGENT AVGI.EXE Trojans and one “suspicious” file.  I got it to fix the Trojans but it wouldn’t fix the generic suspicious file which is:   YSIGNU~1.EXE  TROJ GEN.R23C3L3 so I’ve been left with that and cannot find it in any database et al.

So….(keep up please hehe)….I rang their free phone number helpline (AVG) she couldn’t help me but said maybe the autoruns wouldn’t work because of the Trojans.  She has sent me ANOTHER tool thingy to enable data to be sent to them and instructions about extracting other info from my computer.

This is all too much for my weary old and technophobic brain so will leave it until tomorrow but I think it may well have put me off completely…and will have to pay out to have someone rectify things and uninstall and install a new AV.

I have removed the files they told me to download EXCEPT I cannot find where it’s located in the C files..seems there were two that were downloaded.  Can anyone please tell me how I can find C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\recent  because although I’ve tried I cannot get to delete this file.     

:comp:

Thank you once again for any help you can put my way I appreciate it that’s for sure.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 05:24:36 PM »

>>>  Can anyone please tell me how I can find C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\recent <<<

The file is probably hidden. When you get to c:\documents and settings\owner .......go to the tool bar at the top of the page..click on "tools", when that opens click on "folder options" and when that opens click on "view" then scroll about one third of the way down the list of options until you get to "Hidden Files and Folders" and there move the tick mark from "Do not show hidden files and folders" to "show hidden fils and folders" .......then click apply and ok.

Do the same in c:\docs and settings\administartor and/or any other user accounts you may have.

When you have completed your search, go back through the same route and re-hide them.

AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE does not throw up any results in Google, nor does  YSIGNU~1.EXE  TROJ GEN.R23C3L3 ..........that all implies that the infection is new and unknown to the anti malware companies, which is why I suggested a hijackthis log creation.

Let us know if you find these files.........and keep smiling. One of these days you will look back on this and have a laugh.. ;)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

If I may add to TD's post.
Before you hide the files again, particularly the suspicious ones, rename them. All you need do is add '~' (the tilde not the quote marks) to the end of the file name. That should stop them running. Don't delete them as they may re-appear.
As I said in my previous post the viruses may be preventing you from cleansing your system.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »

Tbh all this is a bit over my head,but I do know one thing......I wouldn't be renewing my AVG subscription.Seems very poor support for a full paid subscription

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »

Thaks again guys.  I can't spend too much time on this today as I'm out soon  :(  However just a couple of things.  I found the avgproci_runner_en file and autorunsc when I did the hidden files thing (thanks TD) and deleted them though they didn't go into the recycle bin, don't know if they do like that... did a search of them after and didn't come up.

I looked on the AVG firewall config and the AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE is still there with "allow for all" on it couldn't find it in the location C:\Program File\AVG\AVG10\NOTIFICATION\...  file anywhere even under hidden files.   However what I did find in there and I don't know why they should be there are:

Microsoft Picture It! Documents     
update-payment-details-btn
update-payment-details-btn2
update-payment-details-btn3
update-payment-details-bkg

I may be wrong but seems suss to me in an AVG file app.

Atm I am getting stressed out about all this because I really don't know what I'm doing or how to apply things to put them right (even to do the hijackthis log).  I might have to give this up as a bad job and let the paid professionals do the job and install another AV for me.  Still hanging on though just in case, but not being 100% well doesn't help either <scream> sorry TD :D

Thanks again for your patience, what would I do without you guys.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »

Hi Chrissie, I fully understand your frustration, so I'm not going to even try and give you instructions that I don't think you would understand.
One thing I must stress is empty the recycle bin. Viruses use it to relaunch.
Going by the name of the files you mention they belong to a graphic of some sorts. You can disable them as I suggest, that is rename them by right click on the filename and select rename in the popup menu. Add a tilde '~' at the end of the name and save it. If you find that something doesn't work as it should, like missing buttons, then you can always remove the tilde '~' that you put at the end of the filename and they will work again.
The AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE appears as though you can dis-allow for all, going by your explanation. If you can then dis-allow it, by removing a tick or what ever. You can always put it back again if that doesn't work.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything