Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Low Disc Space  (Read 5834 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Low Disc Space
« on: June 27, 2011, 02:50:03 PM »

I have an annoying little problem when I start the my pc, I get the attached window telling me 'i' disc is low on space, click here to clean disc.

My 'i' disc is purely for emergency storage of photos should I need it but is never used, I have allowed the disc clean up to run several times but the warning will not go away, can anyone help me remove it please?

I considered removing the disc but I'm not sure that will stop the annoyance.

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Low Disc Space
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »

Peter,  is this I disc an internal HDD or an external one.
Can you double click on My Computer on your desk top............then right click on your I drive and then select properties.
You will find a little pie chart showing total/used and free disc space.
Can you tell us what these three figures are ?

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »

It shows the 'I' disc as nearly full;

Used Space: 41,032,876,032 bytes  32.2 gb

Free Space:  68,812,800 bytes 65.6 mb

Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »

Ok, as you say the disc is full, and as long as the disc continues with less than 80Mbs of free space you will get that pop-up message.

What to do ?

You could disable diskclean reporting on that disc, but that involves a registry hack.

You could burn a lot of the disc contents onto CD or DVD and then delete the same off that drive I freeing the space.

You could remove that I drive ( if it is a seperate HDD and not just a partition of another HDD ), and put it in a usb caddie as an external drive.

Or........the simplest way...........buy a usb connecting external hard drive, plug it in, copy all the files on the I drive onto that external drive, make sure that the files have copied succesfully, then wipe the I drive...and bingo, files safe on an external drive and the I drive now empty and ready for more pics.
External hard drives are cheap.....as an example have a look at these http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---External ........they are a doddle to use, and I am sure that if you went down that route you would find all sorts of help here in getting up and running. Most external hard drives on XP don't even need extra software..just plug in and play.  

edit to add..........Your existing I drive holds 33Gbs (about).........buy one at 250Gbs or 320Gbs capacity for less than £40 and it meet all your storage needs and more.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:10:48 PM by tuftedduck »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »

I'm sorry I should have explained this disc more clearly, it is the hard drive from my last pc which had a burnt out mother board, I decided on a new pc and the local guy who sees to these for me installed the old hard drive into the new pc as a back up if I ran out of space, all there is on the 'I' disc is "Stuff from old PC", which I'm not sure about deleting. (Although I have deleted some.)

I have an external drive, so if I transfer files from the 'I' disc onto my external one, would just deleting them from the 'I' disc suffice or would I be better formatting it?

Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »

Aha...you already have an extrenal drive.. ;D

Great, you can move all that you want to save from the I drive to the external.
If you are then happy that you have taken off all that you want from the I drive and that there is nothing valuable to lose or that there is a pile of stuff on it from the old days that you do not want, then yes...a reformat will give you a nice clean disc for your images.
I assume, to, from your comment that the I drive is the drive from a now defunct machine........and if it was the C drive on that old machine then it will carry an OS and associated stuff that you certainly do not want clogging things up.

Save what you want and reformat.  :)

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »

Woe is me!

Tried to copy the first file 'Stuff from old PC' and this popped up.

Cannot Copy h323msp: Access Denied.
Make sure the disk is not full (It isn't) or writer protected and that the file is not in use.
 :(Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »

>>Woe is me <<  :D

Aha, your system is confused by the fact that the drive in question was once attached to a motherboard different to the one it is now on.

You have to "take ownership" of these files

The steps to do this are clearly laid out here :- http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:50:43 AM »

:)So far so good TD, I've taken ownership and coied all to my external hard drive, delted everything from the 'I' disc, but when I try to format it I get the attached window.

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Well, good to see that you have a nice clean disc again........ :)

As to the error message.......and as a shot in the dark.......do you have any system monitoring utilities running on  or checking on that drive......things such as system restore or any third party back-up tool such as Acronis or Norton Ghost.

Are there any remnants of the old Windows OS left on it ?

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »

The only on I have there is the System Restore, I tried disabling that but still can't format, so I guess there is something else I don't know about, and i'm not technically able to detect them.

Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »

Did you reboot after disabling system restore ?

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »

I didn't, will now though.

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

>:(well that didn't work either,I think I may have to settle for what I have thanks to you TuftedDuck, much appreciated.
thank you.

Peter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »

Hi
Just a thought ,you didn't have windows explorer looking at the disk.

Regards Jeff
zen user