Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Senior moment: no idea what a CD is for  (Read 3845 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Senior moment: no idea what a CD is for
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »

I think it may be something to do with my system. but what? It is merely marked "Repair". But what?

Contents
Folder: Boot; contains files bcd, boot.sdi, bootfix.bin

Folder: Sources; contains file boot.wim

File: bootmgr

It was made some seven months ago.

Can anyone tell me, please? Is it still of use? :-\ :-[

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Senior moment: no idea what a CD is for
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »

It would appear to be a boot disc, which will/should enable to boot the machine if your system files on the HDD go belly up.

To use it, put in the CD drawer immediately the machine is powered up.............you may have to go into the BIOS to change the boot sequence start-up from the C drive to the CD drive.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »

It could be a disc you made from a antivirus program request that will let you boot computer and perform a virus scan in DOS/Command.

Bite the bullet make sure BIOS iis set to boot fron CD first and HD second, place the disc in the CD drive and reboot computer, keep an eye on screen messages and when asked press a key or follow what instructions it says.

When booted from the disc you will then know what it is.

Slightly OT:

It can be a good idea to have a linux boot disc that allows you to boot to Linux then if windows should ever fail you have a way to get access to files on computer and export them out so you dont lose any valuble data.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:34:11 AM by BritBrat »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »

I shall follow up all your suggestions. Thanks for help, all. :)

.Slightly OT:
It can be a good idea to have a linux boot disc that allows you to boot to Linux then if windows should ever fail you have a way to get access to files on computer and export them out so you dont lose any valuble data.
O, man of exceeding great faith! With the breadth of know how I have shown, and the problems, not all mentioned on Kitz, I am plagued with, can you se me coping with Linux as well as Windows 7. :D

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:25:11 AM »

It's a Windows 7 system repair disc that will boot into System Recovery Options.

Further details about the recovery options can be found at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

anything