Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Improves High Resistance Fault Testing for UK Unbundled Broadband ISP Lines  (Read 7302 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I have just read a posting with the above subject header at ISPreview.

I wonder how the Copper Integrated Demand Testing (CIDT) will work. Reports of which we will need to take note.  :hmm:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GunJack

• Reg Member

hmmm...... wonder if Mr Pag can comment on this, how it differs from the conventional (from a master socket back to the exchange), and more importantly, will it be more effective ??
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Just adding the link to the relevant OR website page. :)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

But will it cure premature hair loss?

Actually, this looks like being a great help to those with the misfortune to suffer from obscure hard-to-diagnose faults.  Hope it reduces cases of insanity among ADSL users.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:48:38 PM by hake »
Windows XP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Reading the OR website page, I see that there are two PDF format documents available -- CIDT Fact Sheet and CIDT FAQs for CPs Issue 1.

Section 2.1 of the latter had me pause, with a "Hmm".  ???

2.1 How does it work?

CIDT requires the end user’s modem to be attached to the end users computer, connected to the line being
tested and switched on as it uses the tones from the modem to measure the difference between wires in a
copper service pair.

In my opinion, there appears to be six unnecessary words in that sentence: "attached to the end users computer,". I can just imagine the sort of nonsense that would come from a "not very clued up" CP's first level support! ::)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I tend to agree with you about that. But there are still a few people using USB modems which have to be connected to a PC, so I suppose it makes sense to the people who wrote that document, although it could have been worded more clearly, as you say.

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Fellow pedants of the English language, unite! ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Ah yes! ;D
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

After all, we both have synchronised "penguin caressing" and pushing away of certain Redmond based Company's logo . . . ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

I see that OR has now published the Copper Integrated Demand Testing (CIDT) trial results and update.

It appears that the trial was considered to be successful and CIDT is due to be implemented, wherever possible, for all CP usage by the end of June 2012. [1]

This future CP test facility might be of interest to a certain Mr Eagle . . .  ;)

----------

[1] http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4906-openreach-rolling-out-improved-testing-for-high-resistance-faults.html

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I see that OR has now published the Copper Integrated Demand Testing (CIDT) trial results and update.

It appears that the trial was considered to be successful and CIDT is due to be implemented, wherever possible, for all CP usage by the end of June 2012. [1]

This future CP test facility might be of interest to a certain Mr Eagle . . .  ;)

----------

[1] http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4906-openreach-rolling-out-improved-testing-for-high-resistance-faults.html

It is indeed of tremendous interest to me.

I asked Plusnet about this as soon as Mr. Pag mentioned potential HR fault. (I even sent them a copy of the documents).

Surpisingly, they didn't have a clue what I was on about  :o

I like these comments from the BT OR site:-

• High Resistance (HR) diagnosis - accuracy above target of 96% compared with target of 81%.  This means that you can have confidence that there is an HR fault on the line and that this information will help our engineer to find the fault and resolve the issue.
• Best practise HR repair process  - performed very well, this was developed with the aid of the service teams
• Line test OK diagnostic – accuracy increased.  If you get a line test OK result you can have greater confidence that there isn’t a fault on the BT line and that the issue may lie within your own network.  We’re continuing to work on this to give you even higher confidence in the results so that you can focus on finding and resolving issues within your own network and resolve your customer’s issues as soon as possible.

I have lost count of the number of times I have been told "LTOK", yet subsequent physical work rectified some of the faults found.

Paul.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

I asked Plusnet about this as soon as Mr. Pag mentioned potential HR fault. (I even sent them a copy of the documents).

I assume, in Plusnet's defence, that they were not one of the trialist CPs.  :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I assume, in Plusnet's defence, that they were not one of the trialist CPs.  :)

No, they weren't.

Initially, it was geared toward LLU operators, but Alex R at Plusnet informs me that they are now definitely looking into adopting it.

Maybe, just maybe, I will get my "potential" HR issue "thoroughly" investigated one day.
I still have quite a high error count (27000 CRC errors within a 1 minute sample yesterday morning), & lower speeds than at first.

In theory, I believe the switch from profile 8c to profile 17a should actually have given me quite a substantial speed increase.
It appears to have done so for many others who weren't achieving maximum speeds on the 8c profile.

It only really appears to have increased my error count, though I'm not 100% sure about that as I couldn't really monitor them until quite recently.

Paul.

anything