Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Broadband problem with voice line  (Read 44387 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Re: Broadband problem with voice line
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »

Oranged - Thank you very much :)

jeffbb - Well it has got me a "little" obsessive ::)
Interestingly I got another call from BT broadband tech person who advised me that the "Higher level people at OR are following up on investigations and although the first BT bb tech chap said he did not want to arrange yet another engineer visit it appears that this is what I am going to get on Thursday (26th) :-\  He added that this person would be PSTN and BB conversant :-X
The "no loss of sync" is a bit odd really but I notice that the noise appears to "gravitate" toward a higher level most of the time ??? This seems to allow the sync to remain constant.
Once the sync is at the more regular level it used to be at eg: 3700kbps or thearabouts I see the marked "noise" db drop and a comensurate re-sync to a lower setting :no:
Well thats how it appears to happen ???

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »

This was the last time I got the lower level re-sync and its been the same level since:-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »

Just trying an experiment and re-booted router :-\
Now sync at 3936 kbps and 6db noise :)
See how long that lasts ::)

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »

Not very >:(

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »

Once more then as router failed to re-sync - - no internet light :no:

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »

Well the engineer called and spent some time going over visits to cab etc and I tried to update him on what had gone before as he had no records supplied to him :o
Considering all of the BT people that have been in touch with me and the last chaps confirmation that he did not just want to get another engineer out I find that a little less than comforting :-\
Anyway - - you know where this is going as the line went pfft again!
The engineer did fit an rf thing and changed stuff twice at the cab but here we are yet again with me needing to re-boot the router >:(
Interestingly its synced at the highest Ive ever had tho ::)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »

hi
That sequence of loss of synch and resynchs clearly show something is switching on causing the loss of synch,then leaves the line with some noise when resynching at the target SNR  then because of the increased noise the synch rate drops .
as per graph 1 .

Graph 2 . Trouble is no idea how that links to graph 1 . But resynching when the line condition was better  (Snr margin 8 )allowed and increase in synch rate when reconnecting ,SNR margin back to 6db.

Graph 3 : lost synch    Graph 4 finally resynched

graph 5 :what a mess . But basically your line is a nice quiet line except for this particular very nasty noise being generated by ???? something .
This  post has  been running for sometime .
Just to recap
you have definitely ruled out internal equipment/cabling  problem ?Probably quite difficult as its so intermittent
Have you tried  a different router ?
Regards Jeff

Regards Jeff
zen user

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

jeffbb - - the last graph is more messy due to the engineers disconnecting etc ???
The run from around 12.15 is "after" he had fixed it :'(
Ive tried all around my property and dont seem to be able to locate a cause (no changes for years and no extensions) but the engineer said it could be anywhere in the vicinity :-\
As for different routers - well there have been four ???
1. Was first SKY supplied.
2. Was second SKY supplied.
3. Was BT HH3
4. Is BT business hub 2701.
I honestly would not mind a BT visit to check REIN in my house and pay if need be :(
I have ket BT high level tech team know what I think though :comp:

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »

Hi
quote :The run from around 12.15 is "after" he had fixed it

till about 4PM :(

I don't know how much time you have or how long you can actually be with your PC

1: list all the items in your house  that you can think of that switch on/off automatically  .

then when you have lost synch and resynched with a LOWER synch rate,
Make  a note of the SNR margin  then
 Check each Item  by isolating/switching off   in turn  checking The SNR margin for each time ,make sure that RS has had time to take a couple of samples .  If switching of the Item concerned increases SNR margin then  that is one of the problems .
Switching back on should result on the SNR decreasing again . this may or may not cause a resynch depending on how you switch off/on .If the fault is with say the  thermostat using the wall switch may not create exactly the same noise spike .
its amazing how many  thermostats /auto switches there are in the average house .

If you have already done something like this I must have missed it in your posts

Regards Jeff

zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »

Depending upon the size of the house sometimes the "binary chop" method can speed things up. I.e. First you turn off any sensitive things such as secondary computers with spinning disks (except battery powered devices). Then go to your main fuse / circuit breaker box and turn everything off except the modem and one computer to see if the noise disappears. If it doesn't, go walkies with your radio. If it does you have an internal source. Then isolate one cct at a time repeating the test. Hopefully you can discover which cct is the culprit and then you only have to investigate that cct in detail.

Kind regards,
Walter

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »

Ok - - jeffbb - - waltergmw - - -will do a bit more methodical investigation.
Nothing has knocked out the present sync of 3840kbps and 6db noise overnight so thats a clue - - I think :-\ - -  :)
I have turned off my heating controls completely for some days now so  - - 1 down and errr - -  several more to go :D

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »

Another update - - to say that a BT high tech bb chap has asked me if I would replace the business router with my HH3 ::)
He says they can get "live data" from it so I guess I will need to comply for the time being.  :(

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

Hi SRT,

But it might not perform quite as well.

If you want to be naughty you could ask if he could transfer your service over the BT business as they are allowed to talk about Business Hubs !

Kind regards,
Walter

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »

Hi waltergmw - - tbh I will change it over a bit latter (so they dont moan and claim I am not cooperative) but I have had the power off to all appliances since early am today and noticed a change upwards of noise eg: from 6db to 7 - and then 8db at around the time I shut things off!
Then a little while ago I see a drop and a re-sync to the highest Ive ever had of 4224kbps :o

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Another follow up - (sorry this thread is so long :()

I am back on hh3. I only did this so soon as my business hub lost sync yet again :'(
This was whilst I had ALL power of to house as advised (except this pc). so I cannot see it being anything in my power (scuse pun) to address :no:
Last stat from rs attached.
Hopefully if I ever get this solved I can go back to business hub :)
ps. the reason the stat is brief is due to my swithing of accidentally :paperbag:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

anything